• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

.44 mag Ammo

conservative85

imported post

First is there any law against selling ammo from a pvt citizen to another pvt citizen? If not, I need to try and sell this box for my mother.

It is CCI/Blazer 44 magnum, 240 GR.. JHP. She wants what she paid for them. 20.00. if it is legal of course.

autosurgeon

imported post

Perfectly legal..

[font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica"]How to ship ammunition…

Code of Federal Regulations, Title 49, Part 173 173.63

Packaging exceptions (b) Cartridges, small arms, and cartridges power devices.

(1) Cartridges, small arms and cartridges power devices (which are used to project fastening devices) which have been classed as a Division 1.4S explosive may be reclassed, offered for transportation, and transported as ORM-D material when packaged in accordance with paragraph (b)

(2) of this section; such transportation is excepted from the requirements of subparts E (Labeling) and F (Placarding) of part 172 of this subchapter.

Cartridges, small arms, and cartridges power devices that may be shipped as ORM-D material is limited to:

(i) Ammunition for rifle, pistol, or shotgun;

(ii) Ammunition with inert projectiles or blank ammunition;

(iii) Ammunition having no tear gas, incendiary, or detonating explosive projectiles;

(iv) Ammunition not exceeding 12.7 mm (50 caliber or 0.5 inch) for rifle or pistol, cartridges or 8 gauge for shotshells; and

(v) Cartridges power devices which are use to project fastening devices. (

2) Packaging for cartridges, small arms, and cartridges power devices as ORM-D material must be as follows:

(i) Ammunition must be packed in inside boxes, or in partitions which fit snugly in the outside packaging, or in metal clips;

(ii) Primers must be protected from accidental initiation;

(iii) Inside boxes, partitions or metal clips must be packed in securely-closed strong outside packagings;

(iv) Maximum gross weight is limited to 30 Kg (66 pounds) per package; and

(v) Cartridges, power devices which are used to project fastening devices and 22 caliber rim-fire cartridges may be packaged loose in strong outside packagings.

Part 172 (Marking) 172.316 Packagings containing material classed as ORM-D

(a) Each non-bulk packaging containing a material classed as ORM-D must be marked on at least one side or end with the ORM-D designation immediately following or below the proper shipping name of the material (Cartridges, Small Arms). The ORM designation must be placed within a rectangle that is approximately 6.3 mm (0.25 inches) larger on each side that the designation.

(b) The marking ORM-D is the certification by the person offering the packaging for transportation that the material is properly described, classed, packaged, marked and labeled (when appropriate) and in proper condition for transportation according to the applicable regulations of this subchapter

So, basically you need to label the box on the end as ORM-D inside a square box you have drawn, then print #698;Cartridges, Small Arms#698; UPS illustration using #698;Consumer Commodity#698; (change to #698;Cartridges, Small Arms#698;) UPS hazardous/restricted items section @ 1-800-554-9964.

If you do this frequently, you can buy these labels from a label printing company such as stickers.com. If you do this infrequently, you can make your own stickers and print them out on your computer/printer.

http://www.sticker.com/fragile-warning.html

Best.
[/font]

SlowDog

imported post

conservative85 wrote:
First is there any law against selling ammo from a pvt citizen to another pvt citizen? If not, I need to try and sell this box for my mother. It is CCI/Blazer 44 mag hollow points. she wants what she paid for them. 20.00. if it is legal of course.
How old are they and have they been stored right? If so then I am very interested! I shoot my "little" 44 all the time and am always looking for a good deal on ammo for it. Let me know!

conservative85

imported post

SlowDog wrote:
conservative85 wrote:
First is there any law against selling ammo from a pvt citizen to another pvt citizen? If not, I need to try and sell this box for my mother. It is CCI/Blazer 44 mag hollow points. she wants what she paid for them. 20.00. if it is legal of course.
How old are they and have they been stored right? If so then I am very interested! I shoot my "little" 44 all the time and am always looking for a good deal on ammo for it. Let me know!
They are approx 12 months old give or take a month or two. She kept the ammo in its box from the manufacture , and stored in a wood dresser inside a zip lock freezer bag.

mikestilly

imported post

All my research on ammo sales is there are no laws prohibiting any sales of normalammo. Normal ie non-armour piercing, tracer rounds,etc. Even the 18 & Older clause looks to be some various city ordiences but there is no prohibition of private or publicammo sales that I could find.