Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 31

Thread: Shooting in Quantico base...

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    NOVA, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    732

    Post imported post

    What happened to no guns on a military base?

    http://www2.insidenova.com/isn/news/...s_base1/48365/

    man was shot in the leg Sunday night on Quantico Marine Corps base after an apparent argument, and the alleged shooter is in federal custody.

    The shooting happed about 5:35 p.m. in the base housing section, said base spokesman Capt. Patrick Boyce.

    “The victim was taken to Mary Washington Hospital in Fredericksburg, where he received stitches for his wound,” said Boyce.

    The victim was later released from the hospital, he added.

    Boyce did not identify the alleged shooter, but said he is being held at a federal detention center in Alexandria.

    Neither man is a Marine, said Boyce.

    The Naval Criminal Investigative Service is investigating why the two men were on the base, and into what led to the shooting, said Boyce.

  2. #2
    Regular Member thnycav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Windsor VA, ,
    Posts
    305

    Post imported post

    I know on the Army installations they can have firearms in their quarters, but they first must register them with the Provost Marshals office. Even the local LEOs register their firearms to get on post to use the range here.

  3. #3
    Regular Member CRF250rider1000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Herndon, VA & Martinsville, VA
    Posts
    1,448

    Post imported post

    Neither man was a Marine though it says. hmm....

  4. #4
    Regular Member thnycav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Windsor VA, ,
    Posts
    305

    Post imported post

    They will also be cited for posing a firearm on federal property. Ft Eustis when you get a visitor's pass the car gets searched prior to getting on post. If they had a decal and ID they could have come on that way without the search.

  5. #5
    Regular Member CRF250rider1000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Herndon, VA & Martinsville, VA
    Posts
    1,448

    Post imported post

    I drove on Quantico with my F150. All I had to do was show my ID. No one searched my truck. I just told them that I was going to the docks to go sailing.

  6. #6
    Regular Member thnycav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Windsor VA, ,
    Posts
    305

    Post imported post

    I did say I was talking about the Army. The other services have differents security SOPs.

  7. #7
    Regular Member wylde007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Va Beach, Occupied VA
    Posts
    3,037

    Post imported post

    CRF250rider1000 wrote:
    I drove on Quantico with my F150. All I had to do was show my ID. No one searched my truck. I just told them that I was going to the docks to go sailing.
    You drove onto the base proper, right?

    Just to clarify, there are portions of property for many military establishments where one could plausibly be "on" base without actually passing through any gates.

    I cite Rte 40 through Ft. Pickett as an example.
    The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

    Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

  8. #8
    Founder's Club Member Hawkflyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    3,315

    Post imported post

    CRF250rider1000 wrote:
    I drove on Quantico with my F150. All I had to do was show my ID. No one searched my truck. I just told them that I was going to the docks to go sailing.
    The docks are in "Q" Town and that is a special case. WHile it is surrounded on three sides by the base it is not part of the base. But your point is well taken. It is not as if they follow you to make certain that is your destination.

    I am following that story with interest. The Marines are not the only ones on board Quantico, so these guys might be some other agency, or not even Feds of any flavor.

    Regards
    "Research has shown that a 230 grain lead pellet placed just behind the ear at 850 FPS results in a permanent cure for violent criminal behavior."
    "If you are not getting Flak, you are not over the target"
    "186,000 Miles per second! ... Not just a good idea ... It's the law!"

  9. #9
    Lone Star Veteran DrMark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Hampton Roads, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,553

    Post imported post

    thnycav wrote:
    They will also be cited for posing a firearm on federal property.
    What law does firearms possession on Federal property violate?

    As much as this topic comes up on gun-related forums, I've never seen an explanation for this.



  10. #10
    Regular Member CRF250rider1000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Herndon, VA & Martinsville, VA
    Posts
    1,448

    Post imported post

    I had to go through a checkpoint. I pulled up to a Marine with a tactical shotgun and a drop leg with a pistol in it. He took my ID and scanned it, then let me go onto the base.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    NOVA, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    732

    Post imported post

    Hawkflyer wrote:
    CRF250rider1000 wrote:
    I drove on Quantico with my F150. All I had to do was show my ID. No one searched my truck. I just told them that I was going to the docks to go sailing.
    The docks are in "Q" Town and that is a special case. WHile it is surrounded on three sides by the base it is not part of the base. But your point is well taken. It is not as if they follow you to make certain that is your destination.

    I am following that story with interest. The Marines are not the only ones on board Quantico, so these guys might be some other agency, or not even Feds of any flavor.

    Regards
    If you tell the guards at the entrance that you are going into Q-town, they must let you in. It's an agreement that the town of Quantico has with the base.

    http://www2.insidenova.com/isn/news/...co_town/47881/

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    San Angelo, Texas, USA
    Posts
    301

    Post imported post

    DrMark wrote:
    thnycav wrote:
    They will also be cited for posing a firearm on federal property.
    What law does firearms possession on Federal property violate?

    As much as this topic comes up on gun-related forums, I've never seen an explanation for this.

    I believe its 18 USC § 930. firearms in federal Facilities

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Stafford, VA, ,
    Posts
    56

    Post imported post

    wylde007 wrote:
    CRF250rider1000 wrote:
    I drove on Quantico with my F150. All I had to do was show my ID. No one searched my truck. I just told them that I was going to the docks to go sailing.
    You drove onto the base proper, right?

    Just to clarify, there are portions of property for many military establishments where one could plausibly be "on" base without actually passing through any gates.

    I cite Rte 40 through Ft. Pickett as an example.
    Nope.... I work at Quantico, and needless to say, security is horrible. Anyone can just drive on as long as they say they are going to Q-town. Especially if anyone has a DOD decal (regardless of if it is from Quantico or not) when traffic is heavy, they just wave people through.

  14. #14
    Founder's Club Member Hawkflyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    3,315

    Post imported post

    AEubanks wrote:
    wylde007 wrote:
    CRF250rider1000 wrote:
    I drove on Quantico with my F150. All I had to do was show my ID. No one searched my truck. I just told them that I was going to the docks to go sailing.
    You drove onto the base proper, right?

    Just to clarify, there are portions of property for many military establishments where one could plausibly be "on" base without actually passing through any gates.

    I cite Rte 40 through Ft. Pickett as an example.
    Nope.... I work at Quantico, and SNIP...
    I wasn't going to tell them that.
    "Research has shown that a 230 grain lead pellet placed just behind the ear at 850 FPS results in a permanent cure for violent criminal behavior."
    "If you are not getting Flak, you are not over the target"
    "186,000 Miles per second! ... Not just a good idea ... It's the law!"

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    US
    Posts
    3,156

    Post imported post

    CRF250rider1000 wrote:
    I drove on Quantico with my F150. All I had to do was show my ID. No one searched my truck. I just told them that I was going to the docks to go sailing.
    I drove on MCB Quantico with my truck. It was during peak hours when both lanes go on base and since I didn't have a DoD decal the guard (in BDUs) told me to pull up under the canopy where a different guy (in a normal police uniform) scanned my ID and asked me where I was headed. Told him I was going to MCU and he waved me on. Truck wasn't searched. You can in fact bring a firearm on base there if you're headed to Q-town (which isn't part of the base) you just have to have it unloaded (which includes unloading all your magazines too...if you don't, they'll make you do it right there).

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Stafford, VA, ,
    Posts
    56

    Post imported post

    Hawkflyer wrote:
    AEubanks wrote:
    wylde007 wrote:
    CRF250rider1000 wrote:
    I drove on Quantico with my F150. All I had to do was show my ID. No one searched my truck. I just told them that I was going to the docks to go sailing.
    You drove onto the base proper, right?

    Just to clarify, there are portions of property for many military establishments where one could plausibly be "on" base without actually passing through any gates.

    I cite Rte 40 through Ft. Pickett as an example.

    I thought about not saying anything, but changed my mind....
    Nope.... I work at Quantico, and SNIP...
    I wasn't going to tell them that.
    I thought about it, then did it anyway....

    *edited to say what I meant to say.... I accidentally clicked post after deleting my sentence

  17. #17
    Lone Star Veteran DrMark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Hampton Roads, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,553

    Post imported post

    cbackous wrote:
    DrMark wrote:
    thnycav wrote:
    They will also be cited for posing a firearm on federal property.
    What law does firearms possession on Federal property violate?

    As much as this topic comes up on gun-related forums, I've never seen an explanation for this.
    I believe its 18 USC § 930. firearms in federal Facilities
    No, that is only applicable to buildings, not to Federal property in general.

    "As used in this section ...the term “Federal facility” means a building or part thereof owned or leased by the Federal Government, where Federal employees are regularly present for the purpose of performing their official duties."



  18. #18
    Regular Member thnycav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Windsor VA, ,
    Posts
    305

    Post imported post

    When I get a chance I will ask the Provost Sargent and he will tell me what they would charge a civilian with. They would charge military under Art 134.



    Also it is when you cross the gate. Not just the buildings. The MPS have full authority over all arrests on the installation. The local police do not.

  19. #19
    Founder's Club Member Hawkflyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    3,315

    Post imported post

    Ok enough about security on US military bases. Those of us that work in these places would appreciate a change of subject. No sense helping the bad guys any more than necessary.

    Thanks

    Regards
    "Research has shown that a 230 grain lead pellet placed just behind the ear at 850 FPS results in a permanent cure for violent criminal behavior."
    "If you are not getting Flak, you are not over the target"
    "186,000 Miles per second! ... Not just a good idea ... It's the law!"

  20. #20
    Regular Member Dreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Grennsboro NC
    Posts
    5,358

    Post imported post

    I know this is the VA forum, but I wanted to chime in as to how the US Army runs things down in NC...

    I took my sister and nephew to Ft. Bragg about a year and a half ago (summer of 2008) to check out the JFK Special Warfare Museum:

    http://www.jfkwebstore.com/

    When we arrived at the gate to Ft. Bragg, since none of us have military IDs, we were required to exit the vehicle, and I had to open all the doors, and the engine bonnet of my HHR, and they searched it. Even looked in my glovebox, and underneath with a mirror...

    They required me and my sister to produce our DLs.

    And then they waived us through.

    Luckily, I had "sanitized" my vehicle beforehand. Usually I carry an "EMT belt pouch" in the glovebox which includes a serrated folder for cutting seatbelts, and I usually have an ASP baton in the driver door pocket, and a toolbox full of all sorts of implements in the back of the vehicle. All those things were left at home, in anticipation of this trip, as well as my pocketknives and those of my nephew.

    I don't know if they've loosened things up at Bragg since then, but I assume not. It's a pretty tight base, and they run a pretty "by the book" gate procedure...

    Now, when I go on base with my father-in-law (retired Sergeant US Army), his sticker and ID make entry to the base a LOT smoother...
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggressionand this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    San Angelo, Texas, USA
    Posts
    301

    Post imported post

    DrMark wrote:
    cbackous wrote:
    DrMark wrote:
    thnycav wrote:
    They will also be cited for posing a firearm on federal property.
    What law does firearms possession on Federal property violate?

    As much as this topic comes up on gun-related forums, I've never seen an explanation for this.
    I believe its 18 USC § 930. firearms in federal Facilities
    No, that is only applicable to buildings, not to Federal property in general.

    "As used in this section ...the term “Federal facility” means a building or part thereof owned or leased by the Federal Government, where Federal employees are regularly present for the purpose of performing their official duties."

    Well wouldnt a military base be full of buildings owned or leased by the federal government, where federal employees are regularly present for the purpose of performing their official duties?

    As far as firearms being allowed on base, I believe the base commander has a little flex with this, but obviously it is still federal property.

    If you think this doesnt apply, or that you should be allowed to carry, since it is for a "lawful purpose" (self-defense) go ahead and try to be the test case. I think I have a pretty good idea how it will turn out.

  22. #22
    Founder's Club Member Hawkflyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    3,315

    Post imported post

    Well at least on the bases around here, firearms carry is not proscribed generally. There are a lot of people carrying weapons, but all of them are involved in exercises or activities of one kind or another. So what IS proscribed is carry by certain types of people. A civilian carrying a weapon in an area OTHER than a designated hunting location or range would be stopped for sure. But the sight of 120 soldiers on the road in full battle gear is not rare, and of course that sound of gunfire is a constant as are explosions of all kinds.

    Regards
    "Research has shown that a 230 grain lead pellet placed just behind the ear at 850 FPS results in a permanent cure for violent criminal behavior."
    "If you are not getting Flak, you are not over the target"
    "186,000 Miles per second! ... Not just a good idea ... It's the law!"

  23. #23
    Lone Star Veteran DrMark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Hampton Roads, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,553

    Post imported post

    cbackous wrote:
    DrMark wrote:
    cbackous wrote:
    DrMark wrote:
    thnycav wrote:
    They will also be cited for posing a firearm on federal property.
    What law does firearms possession on Federal property violate?

    As much as this topic comes up on gun-related forums, I've never seen an explanation for this.
    I believe its 18 USC § 930. firearms in federal Facilities
    No, that is only applicable to buildings, not to Federal property in general.

    "As used in this section ...the term “Federal facility” means a building or part thereof owned or leased by the Federal Government, where Federal employees are regularly present for the purpose of performing their official duties."
    Well wouldnt a military base be full of buildings owned or leased by the federal government, where federal employees are regularly present for the purpose of performing their official duties?

    As far as firearms being allowed on base, I believe the base commander has a little flex with this, but obviously it is still federal property.

    If you think this doesnt apply, or that you should be allowed to carry, since it is for a "lawful purpose" (self-defense) go ahead and try to be the test case. I think I have a pretty good idea how it will turn out.
    Of course a military installation is full of Federal facilities, and of course an installation Commander has discretion via policy, and of course USC18s930 applies to the facilities on a military installation (note the signs on the doors).

    I simply would like to learn what law would be in play for civilian weapons posession on Federal property outside of Federal facilities. If you were commenting on that, then, I'm sorry, I missed your point.

    Note, for example, the recent modification of Federal regulation preventing carry in National Parks. We'll soon be able to carry on that Federal property, though USC18s930 will still apply to the facilities thereon.



  24. #24
    Regular Member thnycav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Windsor VA, ,
    Posts
    305

    Post imported post

    Ft Eustis and Ft Story are the same strict inspections and they are still doing it. I would think Ft Bragg would do the same.

  25. #25
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    US
    Posts
    3,156

    Post imported post

    DrMark wrote:
    Note, for example, the recent modification of Federal regulation preventing carry in National Parks. We'll soon be able to carry on that Federal property, though USC18s930 will still apply to the facilities thereon.

    Well that's kinda crazy...you can carry in a National Park but you're not allowed to use the restroom!!! :what:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •