• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Shooting in Quantico base...

eyesopened

imported post

What happened to no guns on a military base?

http://www2.insidenova.com/isn/news/local/article/man_shot_on_quantico_marine_corps_base1/48365/

man was shot in the leg Sunday night on Quantico Marine Corps base after an apparent argument, and the alleged shooter is in federal custody.

The shooting happed about 5:35 p.m. in the base housing section, said base spokesman Capt. Patrick Boyce.

“The victim was taken to Mary Washington Hospital in Fredericksburg, where he received stitches for his wound,” said Boyce.

The victim was later released from the hospital, he added.

Boyce did not identify the alleged shooter, but said he is being held at a federal detention center in Alexandria.

Neither man is a Marine, said Boyce.

The Naval Criminal Investigative Service is investigating why the two men were on the base, and into what led to the shooting, said Boyce.

thnycav

imported post

I know on the Army installations they can have firearms in their quarters, but they first must register them with the Provost Marshals office. Even the local LEOs register their firearms to get on post to use the range here.

thnycav

imported post

They will also be cited for posing a firearm on federal property. Ft Eustis when you get a visitor's pass the car gets searched prior to getting on post. If they had a decal and ID they could have come on that way without the search.

thnycav

imported post

I did say I was talking about the Army. The other services have differents security SOPs.

wylde007

imported post

CRF250rider1000 wrote:
I drove on Quantico with my F150. All I had to do was show my ID. No one searched my truck. I just told them that I was going to the docks to go sailing.
You drove onto the base proper, right?

Just to clarify, there are portions of property for many military establishments where one could plausibly be "on" base without actually passing through any gates.

I cite Rte 40 through Ft. Pickett as an example.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

CRF250rider1000 wrote:
I drove on Quantico with my F150. All I had to do was show my ID. No one searched my truck. I just told them that I was going to the docks to go sailing.

The docks are in "Q" Town and that is a special case. WHile it is surrounded on three sides by the base it is not part of the base. But your point is well taken. It is not as if they follow you to make certain that is your destination.

I am following that story with interest. The Marines are not the only ones on board Quantico, so these guys might be some other agency, or not even Feds of any flavor.

Regards

DrMark

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

thnycav wrote:
They will also be cited for posing a firearm on federal property.
What law does firearms possession on Federal property violate?

As much as this topic comes up on gun-related forums, I've never seen an explanation for this.

eyesopened

imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
CRF250rider1000 wrote:

The docks are in "Q" Town and that is a special case. WHile it is surrounded on three sides by the base it is not part of the base. But your point is well taken. It is not as if they follow you to make certain that is your destination.

I am following that story with interest. The Marines are not the only ones on board Quantico, so these guys might be some other agency, or not even Feds of any flavor.

Regards

If you tell the guards at the entrance that you are going into Q-town, they must let you in. It's an agreement that the town of Quantico has with the base.

http://www2.insidenova.com/isn/news/patriot/article/hello_neighbor_a_tour_of_quantico_town/47881/

usaf0906

imported post

DrMark wrote:
thnycav wrote:

As much as this topic comes up on gun-related forums, I've never seen an explanation for this.
I believe its 18 USC § 930. firearms in federal Facilities

AEubanks

imported post

wylde007 wrote:
CRF250rider1000 wrote:

Just to clarify, there are portions of property for many military establishments where one could plausibly be "on" base without actually passing through any gates.

Nope.... I work at Quantico, and needless to say, security is horrible. Anyone can just drive on as long as they say they are going to Q-town. Especially if anyone has a DOD decal (regardless of if it is from Quantico or not) when traffic is heavy, they just wave people through.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

AEubanks wrote:
wylde007 wrote:
CRF250rider1000 wrote:

Nope.... I work at Quantico, and SNIP...

I wasn't going to tell them that.

nova

imported post

CRF250rider1000 wrote:
I drove on MCB Quantico with my truck. It was during peak hours when both lanes go on base and since I didn't have a DoD decal the guard (in BDUs) told me to pull up under the canopy where a different guy (in a normal police uniform) scanned my ID and asked me where I was headed. Told him I was going to MCU and he waved me on. Truck wasn't searched. You can in fact bring a firearm on base there if you're headed to Q-town (which isn't part of the base) you just have to have it unloaded (which includes unloading all your magazines too...if you don't, they'll make you do it right there).

AEubanks

imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
AEubanks wrote:
wylde007 wrote:
CRF250rider1000 wrote:

I thought about not saying anything, but changed my mind....
Nope.... I work at Quantico, and SNIP...

I wasn't going to tell them that.

I thought about it, then did it anyway....

*edited to say what I meant to say.... I accidentally clicked post after deleting my sentence

DrMark

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

cbackous wrote:
DrMark wrote:
thnycav wrote:

I believe its 18 USC § 930. firearms in federal Facilities
No, that is only applicable to buildings, not to Federal property in general.

"As used in this section ...the term “Federal facility” means a building or part thereof owned or leased by the Federal Government, where Federal employees are regularly present for the purpose of performing their official duties."

thnycav

imported post

When I get a chance I will ask the Provost Sargent and he will tell me what they would charge a civilian with. They would charge military under Art 134.

Also it is when you cross the gate. Not just the buildings. The MPS have full authority over all arrests on the installation. The local police do not.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Ok enough about security on US military bases. Those of us that work in these places would appreciate a change of subject. No sense helping the bad guys any more than necessary.

Thanks

Regards

Dreamer

imported post

I know this is the VA forum, but I wanted to chime in as to how the US Army runs things down in NC...

I took my sister and nephew to Ft. Bragg about a year and a half ago (summer of 2008) to check out the JFK Special Warfare Museum:

http://www.jfkwebstore.com/

When we arrived at the gate to Ft. Bragg, since none of us have military IDs, we were required to exit the vehicle, and I had to open all the doors, and the engine bonnet of my HHR, and they searched it. Even looked in my glovebox, and underneath with a mirror...

They required me and my sister to produce our DLs.

And then they waived us through.

Luckily, I had "sanitized" my vehicle beforehand. Usually I carry an "EMT belt pouch" in the glovebox which includes a serrated folder for cutting seatbelts, and I usually have an ASP baton in the driver door pocket, and a toolbox full of all sorts of implements in the back of the vehicle. All those things were left at home, in anticipation of this trip, as well as my pocketknives and those of my nephew.

I don't know if they've loosened things up at Bragg since then, but I assume not. It's a pretty tight base, and they run a pretty "by the book" gate procedure...

Now, when I go on base with my father-in-law (retired Sergeant US Army), his sticker and ID make entry to the base a LOT smoother...