• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Visiting Cali for work next month

Thoreau

imported post

Ok, I've read about the joys of firearm carry in CA in bits and pieces here on thsee forums, but haven't ever really checked into it too deeply.

Come January, I'll be in the Santa Ana area for work for somewhere between a few days and a week (depending on how the project goes.) That said, what are my options as far as self-defnse is concerned?

I'm a CCW holder in AZ, and carry daily/everywhere I can, but from what I've been able to figure out on my own, that seems to go right out the window as soon as I land in Cali.

Anyone have any thoughts/info for an out-of-stater like me?

Streetbikerr6

imported post

Well as an out-of-stater I have no idea how a leo may treat you if he saw you OC'ing. Thoughthis would give you more of a reason to sterile carry with out an id. There is noneed to identify yourself when you are doing nothing wrong. Though you can not carry within 1000 feet of a school zone (California has many.. many.. many school zones). Or else you could get in some real trouble. I am sure you are aware your CCW is not recognized here in Ca.

Your best betwould be to buy a locked container that has a spinning lock combination device. You lock in your gun and magazine and lock the case yet only lock it one digit off. This way if something happens you can unlock the case with a quick spin of one of the dials, only you will know which one to spin and which way. This way, you don't have to worry about school zones or carrying in your car.. etc.

If you can get past the dumb gun control laws, hippy's, liberals, corrupt legislators, illegals, gangs, slow drivers.. and dianne feinstein, California isn't that bad of a place. :lol:

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Also make sure your magazines are not "large-capacity" (more than 10 rounds), as "importing" those are illegal (even if only for personal use).

I also believe the best option for everyone is LUCC (Locked Unloaded Concealed Carry) - local or visitors alike.

PC 12031 (loaded carry ban) applies most places you're likely to be, so don't have any ammo in/attached to the gun in a firing position (e.g. round in the chamber, rounds in mag inserted in mag well). (Contrary to common FUD, there's no further restriction on carry/storage of ammo; you can have both the firearm and ammo in reach, and can store both in the same locking container.) This statute applies to ALL firearms.

PC 12025 (concealed carry ban) and 626.9 (Gun Free School Zone Act) both have exemptions for carrying your firearm in a fully enclosed secure container. This container can be anything from a locked pistol case to the trunk of your car, except that your glove and utility compartments do not count as secure containers, even if they lock. These statutes do NOT apply to rifles or shotguns (except "assault weapons").

Also, make sure not to bring any guns with threaded barrells, forward pistol grips, etc.

Thoreau

imported post

CA_Libertarian wrote:
Also make sure your magazines are not "large-capacity" (more than 10 rounds), as "importing" those are illegal (even if only for personal use).

I also believe the best option for everyone is LUCC (Locked Unloaded Concealed Carry) - local or visitors alike.

Also, make sure not to bring any guns with threaded barrells, forward pistol grips, etc.

That pretty much rules out everything I own, except my Ruger 10/22.

Oh well. Now to decide if I'll just pass on this project and let someone else deal with it. As awesome as the money would be right now...

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Thoreau wrote:

Oh well. Now to decide if I'll just pass on this project and let someone else deal with it. As awesome as the money would be right now...
Unless you're talking about the threaded barrel thing, you could always buy a 10-round magazine.

Also, on the off-chance that you and your regular capacity magazines were in California prior to 1/1/2000, you can legally bring them back into the state.

N6ATF

Banned
imported post

Thoreau wrote:
CA_Libertarian wrote:

Firearms aside, unless you want to be raped by taxes galore here (even if you got paid cash and there was no record of your employment for government perusal, there's still sales, gas, food, hotel, etc... at all overlapping jurisdictions of government), I wouldn't take a project in CA if I were you.

Thoreau

imported post

N6ATF wrote:
Thoreau wrote:
CA_Libertarian wrote:

Firearms aside, unless you want to be raped by taxes galore here (even if you got paid cash and there was no record of your employment for government perusal, there's still sales, gas, food, hotel, etc... at all overlapping jurisdictions of government), I wouldn't take a project in CA if I were you.
Well it's not a project of that type, rather a project within the company I already work for (who happens to do business in multiple states/countries, including Cali.)

I kinda miss the old days of not caring about firearms, or the whole 2A thing (which was only a year ago for me when I used to think gun owners were idiots.) My how things change once ya discover the pure joy of time on a shooting range =) At least back then I would go to San Diego for work projects, enjoy my lobster tacos and various other bits of free food (company paid of course) and go about oblivious to all else.