• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Shooting at Northern Virginia Community College woodbridge campus

t11spanner

imported post

From radioreference.com

Shooting in room 412 at northern virginia cc woodbridge campus
Unit nova 51 is on scene, signal 1 all units enroute

1442- 2 suspects in custody, no victims, still checking rooms
1508- All inside traffic has switched to PWC east Tac, fairfax-1 just marked overhead scene
There was a report at about 1500 that advised a down teacher on the 3rd floor but teams have not found anything on any floors
1516- Swat is entering clearing rooms with master keys and map.
1531- Evacuation plan is being started

Carl

Armed

imported post

http://www2.insidenova.com/isn/news/local/article/police_investigate_possible_gun_shot_at_nova-woodbridge_campus/48414/

UPDATE: Shooter was student, aiming for teacher

Staff/AP
Published: December 8, 2009
Updated: December8,2009

Police in Northern Virginia have arrested a man they say fired shots in a community college classroom. No injuries have been reported.
Prince William County police spokeswoman Sgt. Kim Chinn says a student pointed a gun at a teacher in class Tuesday at the Woodbridge campus of Northern Virginia Community College. Chinn says the teacher “hit the floor” when she saw the gun.

Police spokeswoman Sharon Richardson says officers responded about 2:40 p.m. to an “active shooter” situation following reports of a gunman in the main administration building.

The college implemented emergency lockdown procedures and later issued a statement saying all Woodbridge classes were canceled Tuesday. For more information about students, faculty and staff, families should meet at Freedom High School.

One parent who spoke with her daughter on her cell phone said the 18-year-old, Alyssa, told her that she was inside a fourth floor classroom when she heard a gun go off in the hallway, and then she saw the gunman walk into the classroom and point the gun at a teacher.

“She said the teacher told the class to run, and when they did, she said she heard two more gunshots go off,” said Christine Brown, who rushed from Stafford to be with her daughter.

Stay tuned to InsideNoVA.com for more of the story.

nova

imported post

t11spanner wrote:
From radioreference.com

Carl
I used that site to follow a manhunt near GMU, both FCPD and GMU PD where there looking for a guy who broke loose from an officer and fled. Pretty neat to hear about warrants being obtained and them going to the guy's house to nab him :)

Shooting at NoVA? Not good at all.

Stay safe everyone...

hunter45

imported post

If you have Team Speak you can listen to the scanner on your computer (unless you have a Mac, like me, then it does not work).

Or if you have an iPhone, just download the Emergency Radio app, and you can listen to the scanner that way (that's what I do). It's only 99 cents.

t11spanner

imported post

If anyone purchases a digital scanner, and needs it programed for anything in NOVA, let me know.

As far as this incident goes, I was at work, so I quickly logged on and saw that someone was following it.

Been a "Scanner Junkie" and a radio operator all my life.....Guess that is why I went into LE dispatch centers after I left the fire service!

Carl

Virginiaplanter

imported post

WOODBRIDGE, Va. - A 20-year-old man is in custody after firing shots in a classroom at the Woodbridge campus of Northern Virginia Community College. Jason Hamilton of Manassas was arrested Tuesday afternoon and charged with attempted murder and discharging a firearm in a school zone.

No one was injured in the incident.

WTOP's Hank Silverberg reports Hamilton walked into a math class on the fourth floor with a high-powered rifle and fired several shots at the teacher.

The teacher yelled for the students to get down, then told them to leave, Silverberg reports. The 25 students in the classroom were able to get out safely.

Prince William County police spokesperson Sgt. Kim Chinn says the teacher "hit the floor" when she saw the gun.

Officers responded about 2:40 p.m. to an "active shooter" situation following reports of a gunman in the main administration building, police spokesperson Sharon Richardson says.

Once they arrived on the scene, they found Hamilton -- without his gun -- in the hallway. Police say he surrendered without incident and told authorities where to find the gun.
There is no word on a possible motive for the shooting. Police say Hamilton was a student in the math class.

Tactical teams conducted a safety sweep on the campus, located at 15200 Neabsco Mills Road, after the alleged gunman was caught.

The college enacted its emergency lockdown procedures and later issued a statement saying all Woodbridge classes were canceled Tuesday because of the shooting incident. Some students, faculty and staff were sent to a nearby high school.

NOVA-Woodbridge student Josh Davis tells WTOP he was sitting in a basement classroom at the time of the incident. "A gentleman ran inside, slammed the door and informed us that another gentleman was telling everyone that there were gunshots fired. That's when we barricaded ourselves inside the door," Davis says. Davis didn't hear any gunshots and was able to leave his classroom.
----

Link

CRF250rider1000

imported post

Virginiaplanter wrote:
WOODBRIDGE, Va. - A 20-year-old man is in custody after firing shots in a classroom at the Woodbridge campus of Northern Virginia Community College. Jason Hamilton of Manassas was arrested Tuesday afternoon and charged with attempted murder and discharging a firearm in a school zone. (WHAT THE :cuss:??????????????)

No one was injured in the incident.

WTOP's Hank Silverberg reports Hamilton walked into a math class on the fourth floor with a high-powered rifle and fired several shots at the teacher.

The teacher yelled for the students to get down, then told them to leave, Silverberg reports. The 25 students in the classroom were able to get out safely.

Prince William County police spokesperson Sgt. Kim Chinn says the teacher "hit the floor" when she saw the gun.

Officers responded about 2:40 p.m. to an "active shooter" situation following reports of a gunman in the main administration building, police spokesperson Sharon Richardson says.

Once they arrived on the scene, they found Hamilton -- without his gun -- in the hallway. Police say he surrendered without incident and told authorities where to find the gun.
There is no word on a possible motive for the shooting. Police say Hamilton was a student in the math class.

Tactical teams conducted a safety sweep on the campus, located at 15200 Neabsco Mills Road, after the alleged gunman was caught.

The college enacted its emergency lockdown procedures and later issued a statement saying all Woodbridge classes were canceled Tuesday because of the shooting incident. Some students, faculty and staff were sent to a nearby high school.

NOVA-Woodbridge student Josh Davis tells WTOP he was sitting in a basement classroom at the time of the incident. "A gentleman ran inside, slammed the door and informed us that another gentleman was telling everyone that there were gunshots fired. That's when we barricaded ourselves inside the door," Davis says. Davis didn't hear any gunshots and was able to leave his classroom.
----

Link

pwclacrosse

imported post

My family lives right down the road from there. There is a public high school directly across the street from the community college. I am not sure about the designation of college campus, but perhaps being across the street from Freedom High School is what makes it a school zone?

TFred

imported post

pwclacrosse wrote:
My family lives right down the road from there. There is a public high school directly across the street from the community college. I am not sure about the designation of college campus, but perhaps being across the street from Freedom High School is what makes it a school zone?
In a strange sort of way, that probably makes me feel better. That is probably exactly why the charge was made, and I'm sure that plays out much better in the media. 1000 feet from the school property line probably covers quite a bit of the campus.

TFred

Virginiaplanter

imported post

January 13, 2009
[align=center]Discharging a Firearm Near a "School"[/align] [align=left]King v. Commonwealth, __Va. App.__, __S.E.2d __ (2009). [/align][align=left]"Around 8:00 p.m. on Friday, August 25, 2006, appellant discharged a firearm in the City of Hopewell, hitting Kionna Jones in the throat. The discharge occurred approximately 795 feet from the property line of the premises leased by The LEAD Center, Ltd., (LEAD Center or Center) at 510 W. Poythress Street (premises). The LEAD Center leased the premises, a former Catholic school, from Saint James Catholic Church (church) and operated a "therapeutic day school" there. That school was licensed by the Virginia Board of Education as a "Private Day School for Students With Disabilities." The LEAD Center's lease with the church permitted the Center's students and personnel to access the premises Monday through Friday from 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. The LEAD Center needed the church's permission to use the premises during other times. Requests for such permission were to be "dealt with [by the church] on a case by case basis." The original lease, which ran from December 1, 2004, to November 30, 2005, was timely renewed and "continued for a five-year period." The LEAD Center was operating a school on the leased premises in accordance with the terms of the lease on August 25, 2006.[/align] [align=left]At trial, appellant moved to strike the Commonwealth's evidence, arguing that, at the time of the shooting, the premises leased by the LEAD Center did not constitute "school property" within the meaning of Code § 18.2-280(C) because, based on the terms of the lease, the premises reverted from school property to church property at 6:00 p.m. on Friday, August 25, 2006, and did not revert back to school property until 7:00 a.m. the following Monday morning. The Commonwealth countered that nothing in the statute required that the school be in session at the time of the discharge for the statute to apply. Finding the premises constituted school property "for the purposes of the statute," the trial court denied appellant's motion and convicted him under Code § 18.2-280(C).[/align] [align=left]As relevant to the issue before us, the statute's language is plain and unambiguous and clearly manifests the legislature's intent to prohibit the discharge of firearms in the vicinity of the designated school properties. By its express terms, the statute refers to "the property line of any public, private or religious elementary, middle or high school property." Nothing in this language limits the statute's application in the manner appellant advocates. The statute draws no distinction between schools that lease their facilities and those that do not. Nor does it distinguish between schools based on how or by whom they are used after hours. Likewise, the statute does not limit its application to only those schools that are in session or are occupied at the time of the discharge. Rather, the statute simply proscribes the discharging of a firearm within the specified distance to the property line of "any public, private or religious elementary, middle or high school property." [/align] [align=left]Additionally, the adoption of appellant's position that the premises constituted "school property" under the statute only during those times the LEAD Center was contractually permitted to use the premises would result in significant enforcement problems. For one thing, it would require law enforcement personnel to know or be able to easily determine the precise contractual terms of the schools operating in their jurisdiction. And, in the case of schools like the LEAD Center, which was explicitly permitted to use the premises after hours with the church's permission, law enforcement personnel would be required to keep track of when such permission was granted in order to know whether a particular firearm discharge was prohibited under Code § 18.2-280(C).[/align] [align=left]We conclude, therefore, that the legislature did not intend Code § 18.2-280(C) to be applied in the restrictive, constrained manner appellant advocates here. Accordingly, we reject appellant's interpretation and hold that, at the time of the subject firearm discharge by appellant, the property line at issue in this case was a school "property line," within the plain meaning of Code § 18.2-280(C)."[/align]

OC-Glock19

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I saw the story on the news this morning and they were saying that guns are banned at the school. My question is about the legality of this ban. Isn't NVCC a publicly-funded school that makes it subject to the firearms preemption laws of Virginia? Can they legally ban self-defense firearms?

xd.40

imported post

You guys should check out some of the comments on the insidenova.com story mentioned above. http://www2.insidenova.com/isn/news/local/woodbridge/article/police_investigate_possible_gun_shot_at_nova-woodbridge_campus/48414/

"These cases are becoming routine now and I don’t understand why people are shocked everytime an incident happens. We need to give it as little publicity as possible.“
I disagree. We need to give these incidents a LOT of publicity, and give even more publicity to mocking the right-wing gun freaks who claim that the solution for preventing emotionally disturbed individuals from getting guns and shooting up people in public places - is to make it easier for even more emotionally-disturbed people to get guns. If we give these incidents enough attention, and mock the gun freaks loudly enough and often enough, we might finally get people to see through the criminally-negligent gun manufacturers lobbyist charade that calls itself the NRA.
Some of the posters on these comments threads are prime examples of why most people should not be allowed to carry loaded firearms in public."

Edit to add comment and link

nova

imported post

TFred wrote:
pwclacrosse wrote:
In a strange sort of way, that probably makes me feel better. That is probably exactly why the charge was made, and I'm sure that plays out much better in the media. 1000 feet from the school property line probably covers quite a bit of the campus.

TFred
Well then...The 1000ft rule is federal law and does not apply to private property. If he is charged with that, it then means that they're admitting that NOVA (being funded by the state) is public property and not the private property claim like GMU used "We're traditionally closed to the public" was what GMU said...