Results 1 to 22 of 22

Thread: Can I get some advice?

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    , North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    63

    Post imported post

    How's it going guys and gals? I recently found this site and I absolutley love it, there is so much information to be found here and it's alot of help.

    Anyways, I'm seeking some advice. I'm in the Rocky Mount area of NC, and I'm trying to find info on OCing. I am not yet 21 so I can't apply for a CCW permit, so my only other option is OC. Most likely I will not OC often, but I would like to keep a pistol in my vehicle as often as possible.

    From what I can tell after reading the NC statutes, one can legally be in possession of a handgun if over the age of 18, this firearm can be openly carried, or in this person's vehicle as long as it is not concealed in any manner. PLEASE correct me if I am wrong, I have been reading over laws over and over again and I just needsome guidance.

    Here's some info on me: I'm not a big guy, 5' 10" and about 150lbs, white, buzzed blonde hair, and I'm enslited in the Navy andI ship in August of 2010. I'm afraid I will quickly be noticed by others and certainly LEOs if I choose to OC. I know a LEO would question me if he saw me with a gun on my hip just because I don't look 21 and up.

    Should I OC if it's legal for me to do so? Do you think I will get negative reactions frequently? Will I be in violation of the law that states you cannot carry to intimidate others if someone chooses to call the PD?

    Any and all help is appreciated, Thanks.

    P.S. I've read NC's knife laws over and over. But I needto know ifit's legal to OC a fixed blade knife. I carry one often, as I am outdoors alot and hunt frequently and don't want to get in trouble for having it on me.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Charlotte, North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    678

    Post imported post

    You may get negative attention because you look young.

    Whether or not you should OC is really a personal descision.

    From what I have read, OC of a fixed blade is legal, though I don't know the statutes as well as I know the firearm related ones.

    As long as you read and understand the laws, you should not have any problems if you decide to OC. Just dress well, act politely, and if LEO are called, follow their directions till they get it sorted out that what you are doing is legal.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    , North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    63

    Post imported post

    Thanks for the kind words and advice. I havn't yet decided if I will OC or not, but I do think I will keep one in my vehicle (in plain view of course).

    I was correct about being able to legally possess a handgun if over the age of 18, wasn't I?

    Oh, and between the time I posted the original thread and read your post I carefully read the state's knife laws. It's defilently ok to OC a fixed blade knife, the only knives that can be concealed in NC are pocket knives.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Hickory, NC, ,
    Posts
    1,025

    Post imported post

    IANAL. but on my reading of the law it appears that it is.

    1. Illegal to possess a handgun under 18, with a few exceptions.
    2. Illegal to purchase a handgun from an FFL until you are 21.

    You could try to get a purchase permit from the sheriff, but that is very hard under 21. Basically, the 18-21 age is not covered by NC law as far as possession. That which is not illegal, is legal. So it looks to be legal to possess, but you cannot purchase or own it yet.

    Make sure you know your laws. Depending on how young you look, you may get some extra attention. As far as GATTTOTP, a holstered handgun is not considered threatening someone. Though some LEO's will still try to use that law against an OC'er. I have had several interactions with LEO's while OC'ing and everything has been fine.

    Actually, the knife may be the tricky part. Cities and towns can restrict knives far more than they can firearms. You may want to check the ordinances in the area you are carrying it in. Here is a website, if your area is not on the site you would need to contact city hall for the ordinances.

    http://www.municode.com/library/Clie...spx?stateID=33

  5. #5
    Regular Member Dreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Grennsboro NC
    Posts
    5,358

    Post imported post

    I find it interesting that neither Pitt County or the City of Greenville have their ordinances available through that website...

    Even more interesting is that Pitt County doesn't have it's ordinances on it's own Government website either...

    But the City of Greenville DOES have their ordinances on their website:
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    , North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    63

    Post imported post

    chiefjason wrote:
    IANAL. but on my reading of the law it appears that it is.

    1. Illegal to possess a handgun under 18, with a few exceptions.
    2. Illegal to purchase a handgun from an FFL until you are 21.

    You could try to get a purchase permit from the sheriff, but that is very hard under 21. Basically, the 18-21 age is not covered by NC law as far as possession. That which is not illegal, is legal. So it looks to be legal to possess, but you cannot purchase or own it yet.

    Make sure you know your laws. Depending on how young you look, you may get some extra attention. As far as GATTTOTP, a holstered handgun is not considered threatening someone. Though some LEO's will still try to use that law against an OC'er. I have had several interactions with LEO's while OC'ing and everything has been fine.

    Actually, the knife may be the tricky part. Cities and towns can restrict knives far more than they can firearms. You may want to check the ordinances in the area you are carrying it in. Here is a website, if your area is not on the site you would need to contact city hall for the ordinances.

    http://www.municode.com/library/Clie...spx?stateID=33
    CheifJason, Thanks for the link and for confirming what I said earlier. I know I can't purchase a handgun, but one can be gifted to me, which is no problem. I'll look into more of the laws, including the knife.

    I read the state laws this afternoon regarding knives and it said nothing about a fixed blade knife carried openly being illegal, so as you stated, what's not illegal is legal.

  7. #7
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Greensboro, North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    1,052

    Post imported post

    Dreamer wrote:
    I find it interesting that neither Pitt County or the City of Greenville have their ordinances available through that website...

    Even more interesting is that Pitt County doesn't have it's ordinances on it's own Government website either...

    But the City of Greenville DOES have their ordinances on their website:
    Apparently, quite a few counties and perhaps cities don't have their ordinances posted on Municode. On Pitt's site, they do have ordinances posted, but they are very specific to things such as animal nuisance and planning. I can;t seem to find anything pertaining to this subject.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Charlotte, North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    678

    Post imported post

    Seniordep2010 wrote:
    CheifJason, Thanks for the link and for confirming what I said earlier. I know I can't purchase a handgun, but one can be gifted to me, which is no problem. I'll look into more of the laws, including the knife.

    I read the state laws this afternoon regarding knives and it said nothing about a fixed blade knife carried openly being illegal, so as you stated, what's not illegal is legal.
    Be carefull about this. You need a purchase permit even to recieve a handgun as a gift as well. You can carry a firearm that is owned by your parents or legal guardians though as long as you are legally allowed to posses a firearm.

    Good luck with your descision.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    , North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    63

    Post imported post

    OK, thanks. I'll be sure to get everything straight before I decide to carry, I'm staying on the good side of the law.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    , North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    63

    Post imported post

    JDriver1.8t wrote:
    Seniordep2010 wrote:
    CheifJason, Thanks for the link and for confirming what I said earlier. I know I can't purchase a handgun, but one can be gifted to me, which is no problem. I'll look into more of the laws, including the knife.

    I read the state laws this afternoon regarding knives and it said nothing about a fixed blade knife carried openly being illegal, so as you stated, what's not illegal is legal.
    Be carefull about this. You need a purchase permit even to recieve a handgun as a gift as well. You can carry a firearm that is owned by your parents or legal guardians though as long as you are legally allowed to posses a firearm.

    Good luck with your descision.
    So your saying that if someone other than my parents gifts me a gun I must get a permit to receive it, right? But if the gun is in my parents name I can carry/posses it legally? Am I correct? Thanks.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Charlotte, North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    678

    Post imported post

    Technically, if ANYONE gifts you a handgun, to become your property, you need a purchase permit. That can be parents orother friends/family. On the same token, you can carry any person's firearm as long as you are legally able to posses it. (I would probably carry some contact info and a permission not of some sortfor that person if it wasn't an immediate family member, or I wasn't with them.

    But to answer your question, yes.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    , North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    63

    Post imported post

    Oh, I see. Well on another note, I'm going to check out an adult friends gun shop on Saturday I think.

    I'm looking for a gun for general target shooting, hunting sidearm, cardboard man defense , vehicle/home defense, and possibly open carrying. I think he can give me a deal on a Glock 17 or 19 for about $400

    What would you guys and gals suggest? Revolver, semi-auto...?

    Now I listed all these things but I don't just want a "cap everything that moves" gun. I wantaninexpensive, fun, realiable, easy to shoot gun. My budget is probably $400 MAX, and inexpensive ammo, maybe a 9mm or .357 and shoot .38spl for target shooting?

    Thanks!


  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Charlotte, North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    678

    Post imported post

    Glock 19: a fantastic gun that can fill all of your needs.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    , North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    63

    Post imported post

    JDriver1.8t wrote:
    Glock 19: a fantastic gun that can fill all of your needs.
    That's what most people tell me, and I believe them. I just like to get everyones opinion as I am open to all sugestions. I do have to say though, I've "re-considered" carrying the revolver. While I love revolvers, double action and single action, only having 5 orshot scares me a bit.

    I read a thread on here aobut 15 minutes ago, and this is how it went: An off duty LEO was with his wife with shopping. She had his 5 shot snub nose revolver in her purse when trouble came about. I believe it was in the form of a hostage taking. The LEO retrieved his sidearm and a shootout ensued. He was hit 13 times, but not before he placed 4 of those 5 shots in his assailant and then dropped his unloaded gun. This all took place at 31 feet away from each other, and the LEO lived, and now he preaches his story. In his lecture he says, carry a high caliber firearm with a high capacity, because after you shot your 5 rounds in a close standoff your in deep doo-doo.

    Even if 4 of 5 shots hit your target, what if they keep firing back? You are defenseless and not able to continue to defend yourself.

    If you didn't see the thread, take my summary into consideration, it's food for thought at teh least.

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Hickory, NC, ,
    Posts
    1,025

    Post imported post

    Second the G19. Love mine. My next handgun purchase may be another G19. Especially if my wife handles mine well. I usually carry an extra mag. 31 rds of 9mm is not too shabby. Try to find someone to let you shoot one though. I've handed the money over for a firearm to only find that I don't like it. No fun. But you got some time before you get to that point.

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    , North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    63

    Post imported post

    chiefjason wrote:
    Second the G19. Love mine. My next handgun purchase may be another G19. Especially if my wife handles mine well. I usually carry an extra mag. 31 rds of 9mm is not too shabby. Try to find someone to let you shoot one though. I've handed the money over for a firearm to only find that I don't like it. No fun. But you got some time before you get to that point.
    Yea a Glock 19 or a Springfield XD would be nice.

    Now like I said I'm not 21 but I am living at home, if my mother decides shes wants a firearm I can legally posses hers correct? From what I read, the law states that anyone over 18 can be in possesion of a handgun, so therefore I can posses her handgun I think.

    We have somefamily friends that we BBQ with and ride 4 wheelers with and such. Me and the adult guy go shooting in his bakcyard, hunting, and skeet shooting all the time. I would be allowed under state law to transport her gun to their house right?

    Would I need to get a permit, even though the ownership of the gun will not go to me? Really I will just be borrowing it, but could I still OC as long as their are no further local laws?

    Thanks again guys.

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Charlotte, North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    678

    Post imported post

    Yes, you can posses her handgun and OC it. You can transport it to their house as well. You can OC it by keeping it on the passenger seat, or you can transport it unloaded in the trunk. You would not need a purchase permit for any of this.

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    , North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    63

    Post imported post

    JDriver1.8t wrote:
    Yes, you can posses her handgun and OC it. You can transport it to their house as well. You can OC it by keeping it on the passenger seat, or you can transport it unloaded in the trunk. You would not need a purchase permit for any of this.
    That sounds great! I'll be sure to update everyonethe first timeIOC, I'll probably go to Wal-Mart or something just to get the feel for it. Thanks for all your help, and everybody else that contributed to this thread.

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Wentworth, North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    142

  20. #20
    Regular Member TheFreeman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Concord, North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    139

    Post imported post

    I just wanted to throw this out there, but don't forget about your outward appearance and how people will see you when you OC.

  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    , North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    63

    Post imported post

    TheFreeman wrote:
    I just wanted to throw this out there, but don't forget about your outward appearance and how people will see you when you OC.
    I have defilently thought about this. I'll probably wear a polo or a nice shirt when I OC, instead of the normal t shirt, just to look less threatning.

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Jacksonville, North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    84

    Post imported post

    If you are in the market for something reliable and not too pricey, i'd go with an SW40VE. It's what I cary and absolutley love it. I've fired thousands of rounds through it with no FTF. Also it's as accurate as you make it. just a suggestion though

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •