• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wisconsin House Criminal Justice Committee to Consider “Lost or Stolen” Legislation on Thursday!

logan

Campaign Veteran
imported post

From my NRA e-mail. I already e-mailed them all.

On Thursday, December 10 at 10:30 A.M., the Wisconsin House Criminal Justice Committee will consider Senate Bill 367. SB 367 would require gun-owners to report a lost or stolen firearm within a 48-hour period or face fines and possible imprisonment.If passed, this legislation could turn law-abiding gun owners--who have already been victimized by theft--into criminals for failing to report the loss or theftof a firearm within the required timeframe.

Please contact the House Criminal Justice Committee members listed below and respectfully urge them to vote NO on SB367. Contact information can be found below.
Chairman Robert Turner (D-61)
(888) 529-0061
Rep.Turner@legis.wisconsin.gov

Vice-Chairman Frederick Kessler (D-12)
(888) 534-0012
Rep.Kessler@legis.wisconsin.gov

Representative Anthony Staskunas (D-15)
(888) 534-0015
Rep.Staskunas@legis.wisconsin.gov

Representative Ann Hraychuck (D-28)
(888) 529-0028
Rep.Hraychuck@legis.wisconsin.gov

Representative James Soletski (D-88)
(608) 266-0485
Rep.Soletski@legis.wisconsin.gov

Representative Sandy Pasch (D-22)
(888) 534-0022
Rep.Pasch@legis.wisconsin.gov

Representative Joel Kleefisch (R-38)
(608) 266-8551
Rep.Kleefisch@legis.wisconsin.gov

Representative Donald Friske (R-35)
(888) 534-0035
Rep.Friske@legis.wisconsin.gov

Representative Bill Kramer (R-97)
(608) 266-8580
Rep.Kramer@legis.wisconsin.gov

Representative Edward Brooks (R-50)
(877) 947-0050
Rep.Brooks@legis.wisconsin.gov

Representative Keith Ripp (R-47)
(888) 302-0047
Rep.Ripp@legis.wisconsin.gov

Flipper

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Emails sent to all but Turner, Kessler, Staskunas, and Pasch who were all co-sponsors of the legislation.Sending an email to the others on the committee, especially if you live in their district, is important. This committee is stacked with four supporters of the bill.

This having City of Milwaukee legislators introducing anti-firearm legislation and not doing anything realistic to address the City's crime problem is getting rather old. Remember this when Barrett comesglad handingin your community.

springfield 1911

Founder's Club Member
imported post

You can watch the hearing at this link, AB 518 Starts at 12:40

http://www.wiseye.org/wisEye_programming/ARCHIVES-asm_committee09.html#2935

12/10/09

Thank you for your message expressing opposition to SB 367. However, the Assembly companion bill, AB 518, was on the agenda this morning for a public hearing in the Assembly Criminal Justice Committee, which I Chair. The Committee did not take a vote on this bill and there is no date scheduled at this time for a vote on AB 518.

Sincerely,

Robert L. Turner
State Representative, 61[suP]st[/suP] Assembly District
Room 223 North, State Capitol
P.O. Box 8953
Madison, WI 53708
Tel: 608-266-0731 Toll Free: 888-529-0061
Fax: 608-282-3661
Rep.Turner@legis.wi.gov

Running Wolf

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I got the following response from Representative Keith Ripp:

"Thank you for your email about Senate Bill 367 and Assembly Bill 518 relating to the requirement to report lost or stolen firearms and creating a database. I appreciate the time you took to email me your thoughts on this issue.

Senate Bill 367 and Assembly Bill 518 would require a person to report a theft or loss of a firearm within 48 hours of discovering the theft or loss. If the person does not report the theft or loss they are guilty of a Class B misdemeanor. I agree with you that this bill would essentially make criminals of victims if they fail to report the theft or loss. I believe this bill is not needed as when someone believes they are a victim of theft they would naturally report everything that was taken, including any missing firearms.

I am a strong supporter of second amendment rights and I do not believe the state of Wisconsin needs another database where gun owners are listed. This bill also does nothing to punish those who took the firearm in the first place and those are the people I believe should be punished. AB 518 was given a public hearing on December 10 and is currently not scheduled for a vote. SB 367 has not been given a public hearing yet.

Again, thank you for your email about SB 367 and AB 518. If you have any other questions or concerns about this issue or any other please do not hesitate to contact my office.

Sincerely,

Keith Ripp
Wisconsin State Representative
47[suP]th[/suP] Assembly District"