Thread: Shocking! Massive Security Breach As TSM Gives Away Its Secrets

Post imported post

Veteran reporter Brian Ross nails another government SNAFU:

Massive TSA Security Breach As Agency Gives Away Its Secrets

In a massive security breach, the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) inadvertently posted online its airport screening procedures manual, including some of the most closely guarded secrets regarding special rules for diplomats and CIA and law enforcement officers.

The most sensitive parts of the 93-page Standard Operating Procedures were apparently redacted in a way that computer savvy individuals easily overcame.

The document shows sample CIA, Congressional and law enforcement credentials which experts say would make it easy for terrorists to duplicate.

"This shocking breach undercuts the public's confidence in the security procedures at our airports," said Senator Susan Collins, R-Me., ranking Republican member of the Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee. "On the day before the Senate Homeland Security Committee's hearing on terrorist travel, it is alarming to learn that the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) inadvertently posted its own security manual on the Internet."

"This manual provides a road map to those who would do us harm," said Collins. "The detailed information could help terrorists evade airport security measures." Collins said she intended to ask the Department of Homeland Security how the breach happened, and "how it will remedy the damage that has already been done."

"Screening is like a big puzzle and this SOP gives you directions on putting the puzzle together," said Robert MacLean, a former Federal Air Marshal who was fired for revealing holes in TSA's security after the 9/11 attacks. MacLean added that TSA's assertion that the documents posted are old holds no merit. "How much in screening procedure changes in 17 months?" asked MacLean. "It's a one-dimensional process."

The TSA says it is taking the release of the sensitive information "seriously" and is conducting a full review.

The document also provides a glimpse of the special treatment available for governors, lieutenant governors and the mayor of Washington, D.C., as well as their spouses and family and staff.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Breach?

"Whistleblower" is, I think, the customary term.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

An unintended (yeah, right) consequence of this is that all the affected agencies are going to have to design, print, and issue new credentials to all their employees who travel by air.

Plus it now gives the government to require all agencies to issue new, upgraded, "digitally secure" credentials with embedded RFID technology--something many Federal Law Enforcement and Intelligence Agencies have been fighting for years...

Can you hear the taxpayer dollars flying out the window?

Can you hear the Military Industrial Complex starting to eat it's own, in a frenzy of profit-driven control-freak monitoring?

But at least the high-end printing business will profit from this snafoo...

I wouldn't be surprised to find that the person who leaked this out has investments in companies like Crane Paper (who makes the customized security paper for many official government documents like credentials and passports), or one of the imbedded microchip companies that produce RFID technologies for use in IDs and credentials.

Follow the money, folks, follow the money...
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Post imported post

Looks like someone has taken a page from Claire Wolfe's finest monkeywrenching screeds!

No big deal here, anyway. If you can't, after some recon and thinking, figure out how to smuggle things through these idiots' security, you're not trying hard enough. Or maybe you're afraid to even think about it, which is how "security" works under powerful regimes.

Founder's Club Member Hawkflyer's Avatar

Post imported post

Wow. If they find the guy that screwed this up, he will vanish in the night.
    "Research has shown that a 230 grain lead pellet placed just behind the ear at 850 FPS results in a permanent cure for violent criminal behavior."
    "If you are not getting Flak, you are not over the target"
    "186,000 Miles per second! ... Not just a good idea ... It's the law!"

Post imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
    Yeah, but they won't be able to keep the secret; the pdf of the snatch and snuff operation will be on the net within days!

Founder's Club Member Hawkflyer's Avatar

Post imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
    Hawkflyer wrote:
    Yeah, but they won't be able to keep the secret; the pdf of the snatch and snuff operation will be on the net within days!
    Four people are currently on Administrative leave pending investigation. The disappearance machine is starting to move.:what:
    "Research has shown that a 230 grain lead pellet placed just behind the ear at 850 FPS results in a permanent cure for violent criminal behavior."
    "If you are not getting Flak, you are not over the target"
    "186,000 Miles per second! ... Not just a good idea ... It's the law!"