• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OT: What kind of counter-terrorism measures did police take?

Aaron1124

imported post

One huge question comes to mind: What kind of counter-terrorism measures did police take while at the memorial at the Tacoma Dome?

If you think about it, there were thousands and thousands of police officers all gathered in one stadium. If there was some domestic or foreign terrorist who had an agenda to take out a large number of officers, this could have been their jackpot.

What kind of measures were taken to ensure the safety of all of the officers attending the memorial?

TechnoWeenie

imported post

Yup, I parked behind the stadium next to the hotel..

Thats the first thing that drew my attention, was the sniper/counter-sniper units posted all along the perimeter on top of the dome..

Big WTF moment, TBH..

Not because of the security, but to think, here in America, they feel the need to have snipers posted..

I don't blame them , that's for sure...

Aaron1124

imported post

TechnoWeenie wrote:

Thats the first thing that drew my attention, was the sniper/counter-sniper units posted all along the perimeter on top of the dome..

Big WTF moment, TBH..

Not because of the security, but to think, here in America, they feel the need to have snipers posted..

Do you know what department the snipers were from? Or were they feds?

Just curious.

joeroket

imported post

Aaron1124 wrote:
TechnoWeenie wrote:

Big WTF moment, TBH..

Do you know what department the snipers were from? Or were they feds?

Just curious.

The security was reported to be, in most part, because Mueller was in attendance. If that is accurate then I would say they were feds.

Johnny Law

imported post

The security that was visible (snipers on the roof) was only a small part of what was there. There were numerous swat Officers that were "hiding in plain sight" and several other measures as well. Typically the snipers would not have been visible, but the dome setting offered no better alternative buildings close enough. I don't think it's relevant what Dept. the snipers were from, but I can tell you they were not Feds.

G20-IWB24/7

imported post

Plenty of SWAT "duos" usually one with a long gun, and one without. I saw plenty of AR's and MP5's. Also, the countersniper teams were quite a sight. I didn't think it was overboard.

TechnoWeenie

imported post

Johnny Law wrote:
The security that was visible (snipers on the roof) was only a small part of what was there. There were numerous swat Officers that were "hiding in plain sight" and several other measures as well. Typically the snipers would not have been visible, but the dome setting offered no better alternative buildings close enough. I don't think it's relevant what Dept. the snipers were from, but I can tell you they were not Feds.

From what I saw, most were staters.. As were most ERT guys I saw, with a spattering of what appeared to be TPD ERT..

I had one such 'hide in plain sight' guy approach me (funny you use that phrase, it's my company tagline), he actually blended in pretty good as a 'normal guy', although his questions were a thinly veiled attempt to chat me up to see who I was. He set off alarm bells by trying too hard to 'act normal'... Unless he was just a holster sniffer.. A guy in jeans and a sweater stands out quite a bit amongst a bunch of class As and suits.. :D

My fault though, I wasn't exactly being low profile... Being aloof, scanning the crowd, repositioning to get a different view, etc.. All this was well before it started though, around 1000.

I was half-assed CC, only concealment was a jacket, every time I got up it revealed the holster underneath. Not even a second look.

But anyway, anyone who knows anything would be able to figure out how things were working pretty quickly. LERN was being used extensively, on-site comms were partially clear and partially encrypted.

There were SERIOUS holes in security, but I'm not going to discuss them here.