• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OT: ammo question

tyguy808

imported post

So I got this really sweet Taurus PT145 MP. I don't really know too much about it, but that it shoots true and hits hard. What I'm curious about, is, can I shoot +p through it or not? Some say yes and others say no. I heard that if it was manufactured after 2005 that I can. How can I tell a manufacture date?

Hammer

imported post

I would say that you should be able to use the s/n with Taurus to determine the mfg date.
They should also be able to tell you if +P is OK to shoot in it.

Edit: Here's a link to a test- not the exact model, to be sure, but they are shooting +P in it.
Code:
http://www.gunblast.com/Taurus-PT145.htm

tyguy808

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
I take back what I said. The manual that I was finally able to download said that +P was not recommended for the PT-145 :-(. Yet their firearms catalog states that +P is good to go. There is something wrong with Taurus website tonight.

Hmmmm, I'm getting that same info. My manual says no, but several places on the 'net are saying yes. I haven't looked in their catalog.

PS- you never answered my question..... did you atleast get a nice dinner in Bellingham?

Sparky508

imported post

For what it's worth, I have ran a subtantial amount of +P ammunition from various manufactures through my PT145 Millen Pro.

(I also ran a bunch of Wolf through it.......................and I liked it.)

amlevin

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
I take back what I said. The manual that I was finally able to download said that +P was not recommended for the PT-145 :-(. Yet their firearms catalog states that +P is good to go. There is something wrong with Taurus website tonight.

Almost all of the firearms manufactered in the last 20 years, with the exception of a few of the cheaper units, are capable of shooting +P ammo. Unless the owners manual specifically PROHIBITS the use of +P, not just a recommendation against it, you can shoot +P. The reason they recommend against +P is that it accelerates the wear and tear on the pistol. Various action parts like the slide lock pin in most semi-auto's will be prone to premature breakage. As far as the gun blowing up, not likely. +P is merely a higher pressure rating for common loads like 9mm, 38 Spl., and .45ACP. It is a SAAMI rating and is less than the "Proof Load" test that pistols are subjected to at their factories.

A final note, just because an ammo load is rated "+P", it doesn't mean it has any greater stopping power. I would look for loads that are standard pressure but use a reliably expanding bullet like the Gold Dot Hollow Point, especially if using a .38 Special with short barrel (2"-3").