Here's an idea...
Whenever some nutjob goes "postal" and the media makes a huge deal about how they used some sort of "assault pistol" or "cop killer gun", or "military type weapon", how about law-abiding gun owners going out and buying the same gun used by them in their heinous acts.
There would then be THOUSANDS of these guns in the hands of LAC's who either just kept them in their safes or only used them for "range guns" (because lets face it, the majority of such guns are usually crap, with a few isolated exceptions like the FN Five-seveN, and the Walther P22, and the Beretta 92), and never ever used them for a crime, or even for defense. They would just be in the hands of LAC's, and only used for recreation and educational purposes (mostly to illustrate how unreliable and prone-to-malfunction they are)...
I'm not saying we should glorify the guns used by crazy people to do terrible crimes, but it might do some REALLY interesting things to the ownership statistics if a BUNCH of these guns suddenly were in the hands of thousands of LAC's, and were purchased through real dealers, by people who could actually pass a background check.
I mean, imagine, THOUSANDS of these "evil guns" in the hands of LAC's, just sitting in gun safes, not hurting anyone! Imagine that...
Here are some of the more recent firearms that fit this category:
- FN Herstal 5.7 (Ft. Hood)
- Walther P22 (VA Tech)
- Glock 19 (VA Tech)
- Intratec Tec-9 (Baltimore, Columbine)
- Beretta 92 (Winnenden, Germany, Hungerford England)
- 12 gauge Savage-Springfield 67H pump-action shotgun (Columbine)
- Hi-Point 995 Carbine 9 mm semi-automatic rifle (Columbine)
- 12 gauge Stevens 311D double barreled Shotgun (Columbine)
- Swiss 5.6 mm SIG "Sturmgewehr 90 (Zug Switzerland)
- Chinese "Type 56" Semiauto Kalashnikov AK-47 (Hungerford England)
- M1 Carbine (Hungerford England)
- Ruger Mini-14 (Montreal Canada)
- CZ 75B pistol (Hat Yai Thailand)
I imagine that many members of this forum already have a pretty good head-start on this list...
I don't mean nothin', I'm just sayin'...