• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Just saw this on news this morning

Dorknob

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Dorknob wrote:

Horrible situation for this poorwoman, but seems was the reasonable thing to do and she's likely better off than the alternative given this mans apparent state.

The good news: she stopped the threat by shooting the guy and watching him die.

The bad news: she stopped the threat by shooting the guy and watching him die.

It was a Kobayashi Maru.

T Vance

imported post

Look how long it took for the police to show up. Not blaming them, just saying they can't be everywhere at once, and its another example for EVERYONE to carry a firearm for protection. So sad she had to be put in that situation though.

T Vance

imported post

My dad recently talked with a Sheriff in Alpena. He informed my dad that due to budeget cuts between 2am - 6am there are NO officers on patrol, and that someone is just "on call" to deal with 911 emergencies. That means it could take up to an hour depending on where live before an LEO can make it to the call.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

T Vance wrote:
...due to budeget cuts between 2am - 6am there are NO officers on patrol, and that someone is just "on call" to deal with 911 emergencies. That means it could take up to an hour depending on where live before an LEO can make it to the call.

The system is degrading....allowing (and accepting) some preventable and heinous possibilities...

If a potentially avoidable heinous atrocity happens, it will all be so clear in the post-incident analysis....everyone will point to it.

LE, government and the publicare simply rolling the dice. Hoping (only) that the don't come up snake eyes....

Denny

imported post

T Vance wrote:
Look how long it took for the police to show up. Not blaming them, just saying they can't be everywhere at once, and its another example for EVERYONE to carry a firearm for protection. So sad she had to be put in that situation though.
I couldn't agree more. It was gut wrenching to listen to this poor woman plead for someone to get there so that she didn't have to shoot. I havefemale family members that live alone and I am tryingto convince themto arm themselves in case of this exact sort of situation. I hate to use scare tactics but I think its important that they listen to this video. Thanks for posting this.

mikestilly

imported post

T Vance wrote:
My dad recently talked with a Sheriff in Alpena. He informed my dad that due to budeget cuts between 2am - 6am there are NO officers on patrol, and that someone is just "on call" to deal with 911 emergencies. That means it could take up to an hour depending on where live before an LEO can make it to the call.

There is no excuse for that crap. I'd never live somewhere with no on duty police that's nuts.

mikestilly

imported post

springerdave wrote:
The police have no duty to protect you, Mike, they only have to show up to draw the chalk lines around the body and make out the report:banghead:.springerdave.

Trust me I dont rely on them either. I'm able to fully defend myself. It doesnt hurt have some sort of backup besides my 80 yr old neighbor. :)

Denny

imported post

mikestilly wrote:
T Vance wrote:

There is no excuse for that crap. I'd never live somewhere with no on duty police that's nuts.
Last summer I was workingnights out of town in Clare county for about 3 months and I stayed with a Leo relative up there. I made a joke to him about slowing down when I came through Harrison at night cause I didn't need any tickets. He said "Don't worry about it. There is no one on duty from 2am until 6." So apparently they are under the same kinda situation.

Banger

imported post

She spend a lot of time trying to justify getting the gun out, she should have been ready to blast that crazy bastard from the get go! Also the response time to this call is absolutely inexcusable.

DanM

imported post

Banger wrote:
Also the response time to this call is absolutely inexcusable.
It would be inexcusable if the police hada duty to protect individuals calling them for help. But they don't. The Supreme Court said so. It's not inexcusable, but it is instructional. Be prepared to help yourself.

Banger

imported post

DanM wrote:
Banger wrote:
It would be inexcusable if the police hada duty to protect individuals calling them for help. But they don't. The Supreme Court said so. It's not inexcusable, but it is instructional. Be prepared to help yourself.
Good point, guess they need to start taking "To Serve and Protect" off the side of police cars then.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Michigander wrote:
Just listened to the call. Happy ending, but I feel so friggen sorry for the lady. :(

Yeah, she was controlled and decisive before she actually shot the guy.

But after the shot, she was a mess. She said:

"I'm so sorry."

"I'm so sorry, Father."

Good example why guns are probably not the best methodology we can devise to protect ourselves.

I mean guns are OK and all. Plenty of benefits.

But there are some rather severe negative aspects to 'em.

As Donna Jackson is finding out now...

SpringerXDacp

imported post

Banger wrote:
DanM wrote:
Banger wrote:
Good point, guess they need to start taking "To Serve and Protect" off the side of police cars then.

http://www.strike-the-root.com/71/jackson/jackson1.html

Problems pasting

SpringerXDacp

imported post

HankT wrote:
Michigander wrote:
Just listened to the call. Happy ending, but I feel so friggen sorry for the lady. :(

Yeah, she was controlled and decisive before she actually shot the guy.

But after the shot, she was a mess. She said:

"I'm so sorry."

"I'm so sorry, Father."

Good example why guns are probably not the best methodology we can devise to protect ourselves.

I mean guns are OK and all. Plenty of benefits.

But there are some rather severe negative aspects to 'em.

As Donna Jackson is finding out now...

Would you feel better had she killed him with a knife or baseball bat?

Are you saying she should be as decisive and in control after the factas much as she was before the shooting?

EM87

imported post

Hank is the resident troll. I ignore his comments when they're like that, because it's obviously not meant to be constructive. He does have good points occasionally though.