• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hey, Big Boy, you think yours is big? The FBI has you beat!

Dave Workman

Michigander

imported post

Neat guns, but not an especially big deal. Anyone who lives in a DD legal state can buy one, provided they have the funds.

There isn't much you could do with that gun you couldn't already do with a .50 BMG. And most of what you could reasonably need a rifle for you could do better with a .308.

To me, this represents little more than a silly, however meager by comparison waste of tax money.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

The rounds in the picture are from left to right - .223, .338 Lapua, .50 BMG, and last but not least 20mm Vulcan.

I cannot imagine why any domestic law enforcement agency would need to toss a 1/4 pound bullet 5,000 Meters. When the Germans had 20 mm nose guns in their aircraft, they were called cannons not rifles.

bulletsizes.jpg

20mm022standingatangle-FP.jpg

r6-rider

imported post

are we africa? no (not yet anyways.) is the fbi in africa? maybe but theyre sure as hell not engaging the militia. soo.... why the 20mm rifle?
[size="Users of 20mm sniper rifles include commandos, police and peacekeepers. That's because these weapons are able to disable vehicles or weapons at a distance, and with minimal collateral damage. In][size=[b]Africa[/b]], for example, warlords like to equip their gunmen with heavy machine-guns mounted on the backs of pickup trucks. You want to take these down from a distance and, since these trucks are often parked in the midst of civilians, you want to do it without large explosions."

edit - aw damnit i just repeated exactly what it said underneath what i quoted, i need to start reading the whole story before talking:p

Tomahawk

imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
The rounds in the picture are from left to right - .223, .338 Lapua, .50 BMG, and last but not least 20mm Vulcan.

I cannot imagine why any domestic law enforcement agency would need to toss a 1/4 pound bullet 5,000 Meters. When the Germans had 20 mm nose guns in their aircraft, they were called cannons not rifles.

Well, so do we. The 20mm Vulcan gatling gun is an aircraft cannon.

m61pod.jpg

We have discussed the blurring line between police and military in this country before. This fits the pattern.

protias

imported post

Tomahawk, you are thinking too small.

GAU-8%20on%20A10%20Thunderbolt.jpg

ac5%20gunships.jpg

Now those are guns! :what:

protias

imported post

You're right, the GAU-8 is 30mm and the AC-5 has a puny 25mm gun...

Dreamer

imported post

Please take special note of the color of the tip of the 20mm round in the above picture.

I imagine when the government starts using these newly aquired 20mm "rifles" domestically, the "officers" using them will be wearing hats of a similar color.

I don't mean nothin', I'm just sayin'...

Armond Reese

Banned
imported post

Dreamer wrote:
Please take special note of the color of the tip of the 20mm round in the above picture.

I imagine when the government starts using these newly aquired 20mm "rifles" domestically, the "officers" using them will be wearing hats of a similar color.

TinfoilHat.jpg

Your hat.

TechnoWeenie

imported post

Dreamer wrote:

And for the same reason as the British redcoats ... Not a good idea to have clothing that says 'look at me!' in a war zone.. Aim for the blue beret.. lol

Dave Workman

imported post

Armond Reese wrote:
Dreamer wrote:

TinfoilHat.jpg

Your hat.

I leap to the conclusion that you are one of the two in this photo.

45acpForMe

imported post

Dreamer wrote:

attachment.php

That is their before "dress hat". Here is their after "work hat"

Gunslinger

imported post

The fbi needs firepower. Treason, killing innocent women holding babies,burning children to death, stealing laptops and anything else that isn't bolted to the floor is seriouswork. J. Edgar is probably dancing around in his dress in hell with joy. And their greatest hero, Hanssen, would approve.