• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

VCDL Members address Newport News City Council about MAIG

2a4all

imported post

On Dec 8, 2009, VCDL EM Ron Lily and myself addressed the Newport News CIty Council and expressed our concerns about Mayor Joe Frank's involvement with this organization.

Ron & I were the 3rd & 4th speakers respectively. Hizzoner responded after we both spoke, and it appears that we hit a nerve.

The city video of the meeting is on line at

http://newportnews.granicus.com/MediaPlayer.php?view_id=2&clip_id=619

Scroll down the agenda page to Item H, and the video will (at least it did for me) fast-fwd to the 1st speaker.

You might also find the last speaker interesting. She is the mother of a young man shot and killed by a NNPD Officer in 2007, with whom the city reached a settllement in a wrongful death suit, but retained the officer on the NNPD.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

2a4all wrote:
On Dec 8, 2009, VCDL EM Ron Lily and myself addressed the Newport News CIty Council and expressed our concerns about Mayor Joe Frank's involvement with this organization.

Ron & I were the 3rd & 4th speakers respectively. Hizzoner responded after we both spoke, and it appears that we hit a nerve.

Scroll down the agenda page to Item H, and the video will (at least it did for me) fast-fwd to the 1st speaker.

You might also find the last speaker interesting. She is the mother of a young man shot and killed by a NNPD Officer in 2007, with whom the city reached a settllement in a wrongful death suit, but retained the officer on the NNPD.
Can you summarize for us? What was the overall reaction?

Yata hey

Marco

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:

Yata hey
After watching the video it appears the Mayor tried to justify his position, it was a lame attempt.

Thundar

imported post

At least Newport News was not disrespectful to VCDL. Mayor Frank was not very effective in responding to the speakers. He clearly states that he will not resign from the group. Me thinks that a more in your face approach, a la JPFO style handbills and Long gun open carry at council meetings may be required.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Thundar wrote:
At least Newport News was not disrespectful to VCDL. Mayor Frank was not very effective in responding to the speakers. He clearly states that he will not resign from the group. Me thinks that a more in your face approach, a la JPFO style handbills and Long gun open carry at council meetings may be required.
See John's remarks on this from another thread:

"Here at OCDO, we are focused on the open carry of HANDGUNS for personal protection as one goes about their daily lives. Thanks to the tireless and dedicated efforts of VCDL and individual open carry advocates many of whom are members here, anymore, an open carry rally in Virginia featuring citizens wearing their personal protection firearms is practically a non-event (Ed's litter pickups are a great example!). Add rifles to the mix however, and it changes the entire perception."

We must constantly weigh what might be gained against what might be lost.

Yata hey

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
2a4all wrote:

Yata hey
Very well done!

I'm putting the clips on as soon as I get the edited and personal information cut out. The first is on my site now. May take aq few seconds to load since Blue Hosst is throttling the CPU (Im' looking for a new host now.)
http://news.oldva.org/blogroll/vcdl-tells-newport-mayor-to-resign-from-organization/

6L6GC

imported post

I'm sure that I'm not the only one to notice that in fankie's response he mentions that he doen't have a problem with "properly registered" guns. [and owners]

that tells any objective observer all that he needs to know.

:banghead::cuss::cry:

darthmord

imported post

6L6GC wrote:
I'm sure that I'm not the only one to notice that in fankie's response he mentions that he doen't have a problem with "properly registered" guns. [and owners]

that tells any objective observer all that he needs to know.

:banghead::cuss::cry:

We are all properly registered.

The Commonwealth of VA in its wisdom has deemed registration as not being necessary. Thus, we are all properly registered by not being registered... in accordance with the Laws of the Commonwealth. :lol:

N6ATF

Banned
imported post

peter nap wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
2a4all wrote:

Yata hey
Very well done!

I'm putting the clips on as soon as I get the edited and personal information cut out. The first is on my site now. May take aq few seconds to load since Blue Hosst is throttling the CPU (Im' looking for a new host now.)
http://news.oldva.org/blogroll/vcdl-tells-newport-mayor-to-resign-from-organization/
Had to stop watching because of the background noise. With proper tweaking, you can record soundcard-to-soundcard instead of using a microphone to speaker.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

N6ATF wrote:
peter nap wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
2a4all wrote:

Yata hey
Very well done!

Had to stop watching because of the background noise. With proper tweaking, you can record soundcard-to-soundcard instead of using a microphone to speaker.
That was sound card to soundcard.
It was straight off of the stream into an AVI file, to Ulead where the personal information was clipped, to a WSM, to You Tube.

Don't know where the noise came from but I just reprocessed in Ulead and it's not in these.

Thundar

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Thundar wrote:
See John's remarks on this from another thread:

"Here at OCDO, we are focused on the open carry of HANDGUNS for personal protection as one goes about their daily lives. Thanks to the tireless and dedicated efforts of VCDL and individual open carry advocates many of whom are members here, anymore, an open carry rally in Virginia featuring citizens wearing their personal protection firearms is practically a non-event (Ed's litter pickups are a great example!). Add rifles to the mix however, and it changes the entire perception."

We must constantly weigh what might be gained against what might be lost.

Yata hey

Well I just don't see your point about what might be lost.

Rifles and shotguns are just one more step in the normalization of firearms. Frankly the concerns about reprecussions for legal activity are just bunk. The incoming legislature and governor are very pro gun.

Wait, there is something in the OCDO Motto that indicates what might be lost....

"a right unexercised is a right lost"

Live Free or Die,

Thundar

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

It is a public relations game.

24 + people carrying evil black rifles with red dots, standing around the perimeter of council chambers wearing black BDUs is not illegal and is exercising a right but it will viewed by way too many as negative.

The idea is to pick and chose how and when we express this right with the goal of advancing our views, not setting them back.

Yata hey

Thundar

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:

24 + people carrying evil black rifles with red dots, standing around the perimeter of council chambers wearing black BDUs is not illegal and is exercising a right but it will viewed by way too many as negative.

The idea is to pick and chose how and when we express this right with the goal of advancing our views, not setting them back.

Yata hey
How can we normalize the presence of rifles and shotguns if we are afraid to carry them?

Thundar

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:

Yata hey
Black BDUs are a fashion disaster that I would consider negative. Besides wearing black BDUs, might lead to mistaking our identity as BATFE JBTs. I can see nothing which could be construed as negative with the rest of your description. Please elaborate.

nuc65

Activist Member
imported post

Thundar wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:

Yata hey
Black BDUs are a fashion disaster that I would consider negative. Besides wearing black BDUs, might lead to mistaking our identity as BATFE JBTs. I can see nothing which could be construed as negative with the rest of your description. Please elaborate.
Black BDUs might get you mistaken for the LEOs SWAT, oh no, that wouldn't be a negative would it? Maybe black bdus with big yellow or international orange VCDL or VA 2nd. Hmmm just a thought.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Thundar wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:

Yata hey
Hardly necessary - we both understand of what the other speaks. :)

You all have fun - I haven't had my lunch yet - bye.

Yata hey