• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

VCDL Members address Newport News City Council about MAIG

MSC 45ACP

imported post

As John stated earlier on another thread, pistols are widely recognized and accepted as defensive weapons while long guns are nearly ALWAYS associated with offensive action. It really IS all about public perception. We can make a difference if we "pick our battles" and fight them wisely using the correct "weapons" to complete the task at hand...

The carrying of a long gun, especially an EBR or AK variant scares the livinchit out of Joe Schmoe, his Soccer-Mom spousal unit and their brainwashed spawn. It truly is about perception. It is fareasier to have a conversation with someone about 2A and self-protection while carrying a holstered pistol than it is with a long gun slung over your shoulder that swings freely and must be touched and moved around in order toperform even themost simpletasks.

Those of us that have carried long guns on duty know you are CONSTANTLY adjusting SOMETHING on your rifle or sling. The "touching" of the weapon is bound to upset someone. Whatare Sheep likely to do when they see you exit your vehicle, remove an AK from your backseat, sling it comfortably over your shoulder and stroll into the grocery store? I'm willing to guess you're going to get a LOT of attention. If you're profoundly interested in "testing" the reaction time of your county (or city) SWAT unit, go for it! You may not have the same reaction at WallyWorld or Bass Pro because they sell long guns.

As stated previously, it is more detrimental to our cause than not... If you intention is to sabotage the "OC Movement", then go right ahead. I don't think you could do a more effective job than the knucklehead that shot at the ducks at the waterfront bar or the character in LousyAnna that was an avid poster to OCDO that was always "looking for a clean kill" until he got his wish,only it wasn't so clean. It was murder with drug charges thrown in for good measure.

Great plan... NOT!!!

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
As John stated earlier on another thread, pistols are widely recognized and accepted as defensive weapons while long guns are nearly ALWAYS associated with offensive action. It really IS all about public perception. We can make a difference if we "pick our battles" and fight them wisely using the correct "weapons" to complete the task at hand...

The carrying of a long gun, especially an EBR or AK variant scares the livinchit out of Joe Schmoe, his Soccer-Mom spousal unit and their brainwashed spawn. It truly is about perception. It is fareasier to have a conversation with someone about 2A and self-protection while carrying a holstered pistol than it is with a long gun slung over your shoulder that swings freely and must be touched and moved around in order toperform even themost simpletasks.

Those of us that have carried long guns on duty know you are CONSTANTLY adjusting SOMETHING on your rifle or sling. The "touching" of the weapon is bound to upset someone. Whatare Sheep likely to do when they see you exit your vehicle, remove an AK from your backseat, sling it comfortably over your shoulder and stroll into the grocery store? I'm willing to guess you're going to get a LOT of attention. If you're profoundly interested in "testing" the reaction time of your county (or city) SWAT unit, go for it! You may not have the same reaction at WallyWorld or Bass Pro because they sell long guns.

As stated previously, it is more detrimental to our cause than not... If you intention is to sabotage the "OC Movement", then go right ahead. I don't think you could do a more effective job than the knucklehead that shot at the ducks at the waterfront bar or the character in LousyAnna that was an avid poster to OCDO that was always "looking for a clean kill" until he got his wish,only it wasn't so clean. It was murder with drug charges thrown in for good measure.

Great plan... NOT!!!
My take on it and I expect I carry a rifle (as in have one with me) more than most on this board, is that it is all in perception.

There is a great deal of difference between free speech, and trying to start a fight. You're perfectly right to do either, but if you want to exercise a right, speak in terms that the opposition will at least listen to. Using phrases like "I'll kick your ass" will either start a fight or alienate the opposition....oe both.

The same with carrying a rifle. There are times and places where it is accepted, but other times, it looks like you're just daring someone to knock that chip off of your shoulder.

MSC 45ACP

imported post

peter nap wrote:
MSC 45ACP wrote:

Great plan... NOT!!!
My take on it and I expect I carry a rifle (as in have one with me) more than most on this board, is that it is all in perception.

There is a great deal of difference between free speech, and trying to start a fight. You're perfectly right to do either, but if you want to exercise a right, speak in terms that the opposition will at least listen to. Using phrases like "I'll kick your ass" will either start a fight or alienate the opposition....oe both.

The same with carrying a rifle. There are times and places where it is accepted, but other times, it looks like you're just daring someone to knock that chip off of your shoulder.
Sorry... got carried away with my red crayon...

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
peter nap wrote:
MSC 45ACP wrote:

Great plan... NOT!!!

Sorry... got carried away with my red crayon...
I wass just giving the Redneck Condensed version:lol:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

OK now that most of the choir is on the same page, who's gonna sing bass tonight? :lol: Sopranos will have to sit this one out. :p

Yata hey