Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 130

Thread: Open carry is more than open carry

  1. #1
    Moderator / Administrator
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    8,711

    Post imported post

    http://www.secondamendmentmarch.com/node/161

    Open carry is more than open carry

    Submitted by brian_jeffs on Wed, 12/02/2009

    [size=Open carry is more than open carry
    ][/size]Brian G. Jeffs, Board of Directors
    Second Amendment March

    It’s true that open carry has many advantages: a faster draw, a larger caliber handgun and greater round capacity; sure it’s been shown to deter crime, and it is immensely more comfortable to carry in warm weather, but it is much more than that.

    Open carry brings gun ownership out of the closet. It shows your friends and neighbors, your state and your country that you are not afraid of taking on the responsibility of protecting yourself and the ones you love from evil. Open carry is a visible expression of our natural right to self preservation. Open carry makes a statement that we are not afraid to stand up to the “politically correct” ideology that has created a nanny state, where the government is there to help us if we just do as they say, and a pox on anyone that disagrees.
    Open carry can lead us out of this stupor and deliver us once again to the days when a man could stand tall and be proud of his community, his state, and his country.

    When you open carry you are saying to the world, I’m my own man, I’m able and willing to defend myself, my family, and if need be my community, my state, and my country. It also states that I’m willing to stand up and speak truth to authority. It’s shameful that we as law abiding citizens must stand up to authority, the very authority that we have empowered, when questioned about our lawful right to openly carry a firearm. But stand up we must. The open carry of a firearm speaks volumes and it’s says much more than just open carry.


  2. #2
    Regular Member Batousaii's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Kitsap Co., Washington, USA
    Posts
    1,234

    Post imported post

    Good writings - Thank you
    ~ ENCLAVE vmc ~
    The Enclave is looking for patriotic motorcycle riders in Washington State who support liberty and freedom for all. ~ Check us out!
    ~
    * " To be swayed neither by the opponent nor by his sword is the essence of swordsmanship." - Miyamoto Musashi.

  3. #3
    Regular Member MarlboroLts5150's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    San Antonio
    Posts
    407

    Post imported post

    mark edward marchiafava wrote:
    Pretty much what I've been preaching for years.
    But face facts, the majority of Amerikan sheeple will NEVER be "comfortable" with it, get over it.
    Get over what, exactly???
    "My dedication to my country's flag rests on my ardent belief in this noblest of causes, equality for all. If my future rests under this earth rather than upon it, I fear not."

    -Leopold Karpeles, US Civil War Medal of Honor Recipient

  4. #4
    Regular Member wewd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    664

    Post imported post

    I couldn't have said it better myself. This is precisely why I prefer open carry to concealed carry, and why I am such a big proponent of the open carry movement. I am not ashamed to carry a gun, and I feel no need to hide it from anyone. In southern California we have perfect open carry weather 10 months of the year, so I have little excuse not to do it; not to mention the fact that I and most everyone else here can't get a CCW. But a concealed gun never stopped a crime before it started, and I can personally cite at least one incident that I am 99% sure was prevented by myself being present and visibly armed in public. I am a believer. I have yet to make any babies cry, or send people away screaming in terror, so I know open carry does not have the negative social aspect that many who have never open carried claim that it has. In fact I have had more people approach me with supportive words and curiosity than anything else. So the argument that open carry should not be done because it might garner a negative attitude from the public towards gun rights and gun owners is simply preposterous. I know better because I have seen the truth with my own eyes. If you love liberty and your God-given right to bear arms, you need to start exercising it. Carry on!
    Do you want to enjoy liberty in your lifetime?

    Consider moving to New Hampshire as part of the Free State Project.

    "Live Free or Die"

  5. #5
    Regular Member MarlboroLts5150's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    San Antonio
    Posts
    407

    Post imported post

    mark edward marchiafava wrote:
    Get over the fact the majority of your fellow Amerikans don't and will not ever respect the fact we are not ashamed to flex our rights.
    Wow...you're such a "glass-half-empty" kind of guy, aren't you?


    "My dedication to my country's flag rests on my ardent belief in this noblest of causes, equality for all. If my future rests under this earth rather than upon it, I fear not."

    -Leopold Karpeles, US Civil War Medal of Honor Recipient

  6. #6
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338

    Post imported post

    mark edward marchiafava wrote:
    Get over the fact the majority of your fellow Amerikans don't and will not ever respect the fact we are not ashamed to flex our rights.
    I beg to differ 95% or more of my encounters are positive ones, just most people don't realize it's legal.

    Great article this is why I have argued with Dave from SAF and someone elsethat open carry can also be a first ammendment issue, I view it as such. It has proven to be so time and time again with me.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  7. #7
    Regular Member Alexcabbie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Alexandria, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    2,290

    Post imported post

    Remember all those "Question Authority" bumper stickers you used to see all over the place?? Well, the people who sported them on their cars have scraped them off, because they figure that now THEY are the "Authority" and they will brook no questioning of it. As I have said repeatedly I live across the street from a rabid Demon-Rat who allows his house to be taken over as an HQ for any and every Rat candidate that runs, and although he was Deeds HQ in the General Election he was McAuliffe HQ in the primaries. I make it a point, when that house is dressed up for a campaign, to OC up and down the street - just taakin' a walk, you know - just to make a point.

    "Question Authority"?

    Indeedy!

  8. #8
    Regular Member Bikenut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Saginaw, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    2,756

    Post imported post

    mark edward marchiafava wrote:
    If 95% of Amerikans are so outright supportive of OC, then why is it BANNED in some states and highly frowned upon by most others?

    Because decades of anti gun coverage by the media, anti gun policies in schools indoctrinating our children, and anti gun policies/laws from politicians pushed by the leftist anti gun agenda has resulted in the brain washing of society.

    Why don't we see governors leading an OC march annually, to honor this right?

    Because Governors are political animals concerned only with protecting their political butts. They listen to the loudest political voices and those loudest voices sing the anti gun song.

    Or unconstitutional gun laws falling like leaves in the fall?
    Could it be you're overlooking the MAJORITY of Amerikans who say nothing TO you, but are thinking, "the cops need to arrest this man, he scares me?"

    Or could it be that because the pro common sense pro gun folks have not been the loudest voices that politicians, schools, and the media are listening to?

    Could it be that the anti gun propaganda (and it is a concerted propaganda effort when the only thing seen/heard is the negative side of something) pushed over the past many decades has worked so well the majority of Americans have learned to feel fear when they see a gun?

    Could it be that finally there is an effort to fight that anti gun propaganda with pro gun propaganda (use their own rules/methods against them kind of thing) and... because it is causing a reaction (my personal "responses" to my OC have been nearly all positive)... it is working?

    Could it be that the time to counter the leftist whiney anti gun/anti personal responsibility/anti freedom BS propaganda has come?

    Could it be that the average person can learn that a gun is not necessarily something to fear?

    And, lastly, could it be that the MAJORITY of Americans really don't have an opinion about guns either way but base their opinions on what they see in daily life... either on TV or on the hip of a polite and law abiding person?
    My responses are in red above...

    Please understand I'm only responding to the points contained within your post... not to you personally.

    As an added comment... I've often seen a strange reaction while OC'ing from folks when I politely hold the door open for them... or invite them ahead of me in a check out line... because the rearranging of attitude going on inside their heads is plain to see. After all, isn't a man with a gun supposed to be a bad ass jerk like the TV says instead of this nice polite fellow helping them in real life?
    Gun control isn't about the gun at all.... for those who want gun control it is all about their own fragile egos, their own lack of self esteem, their own inner fears, and most importantly... their own desire to dominate others. And an openly carried gun is a slap in the face to all of those things.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    5

    Post imported post

    /rant on

    Convince the majority that gun ownership is a right (even though everyone here knows it is), and open carry won't be viewed as "man with a gun" and viewed in a negative light. This is accomplished through responsible gun ownership and educating the "sheeple and Amerikans" as some of you so thoughtfully put it, as to what the 2nd amendment is all about.

    Calling people names (Ameri"k"ans and sheeple) doesn't strengthen your argument; in fact, it lessens it. Just because the majority doesn't agree with your views doesn't make them wrong, they're just opposed to your views. Whether this is influenced by the media, anti-gun propaganda or whatever, doesn't change the facts. Also, by referring to those who don't agree with you as "sheeple" you put yourself in the difficult position of defending your rights, when you shouldn't have to. A sub class outside of "normal" society... a minority, if you will. It is a huge burden to bear, to be sure, but open carry and knowing the rights to do so doesn't make you more American.

    We do live in a democracy, right? Majority rules, and all that?

    Just for the record, I own a firearm and believe in the 2nd amendment. I believe in the right to open carry, now that I know what it entails. A year ago, if I saw someone walking down the street with a firearm in a holster, my first thought would have been, COOL! Then, I would have assumed they were in a security/LEO profession. It wouldn't have struck me as suspicious, just odd because it is so uncommon. I now know that all of us, every red-blooded American, has the right to carry openly.

    In about 2 weeks I am taking my CPL class. If you want to open carry, feel free to do so, just be prepared to deal with the obvious harrassment and disapproval from all the "sheeple" and obvious Amerikan's who disagree with you.

    I believe, however, there are more positive encounters than negative ones, though the negative ones tend to get more attention. Personally, I don't want any attention at all, I just want to be left alone, to pay my taxes and be the best AmeriKan I can be.

    Educate.

    /rant off.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    5

    Post imported post

    Again with the name calling.Slave? Does that make you feel better about yourself, you poor minority? You've certainly put me in my place. Well played, you fine example of American values.

    I'll pay my taxes, obey the law, and put up with individuals like you who have a right, whether it is or not, to their opinion.

    BTW... the proper spelling is AMERICAN.

  11. #11
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338

    Post imported post

    mark edward marchiafava wrote:
    All the education in the world isn't going to sway most Amerikans' emotional rejection of an armed populace. Accept that fact and move forward.
    No, this is NOT, I repeat, NOT a democracy. Why would anyone even think that?
    Overall, your post sounds exactly as I'd expect from a properly taught slave.
    Pay your taxes and never say a word.
    Sounds like you have had some real negative reactions and are basing your opinions on this. I didn't say 95% of America was supportive I said 95% of my encounters are supportive (and I live in an extremely hippy liberal town). On the few negative ones others around supported it.

    At an open carry picnic we had up here even some who didn't like guns supported our right because they felt if they were to trample on the 2nd, what other rights were to be trampled upon. (Although they are being trampled on)
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    5

    Post imported post

    sudden valley gunner wrote

    Sounds like you have had some real negative reactions and are basing your opinions on this. I didn't say 95% of America was supportive I said 95% of my encounters are supportive (and I live in an extremely hippy liberal town). On the few negative ones others around supported it.

    At an open carry picnic we had up here even some who didn't like guns supported our right because they felt if they were to trample on the 2nd, what other rights were to be trampled upon. (Although they are being trampled on)
    I'm hoping that when I decide to OC that I will be met with this same reaction. I plan to attend OC rallies and picnics (I make a mean potato salad).

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    , Minnesota, USA
    Posts
    76

    Post imported post

    Mike wrote:
    http://www.secondamendmentmarch.com/node/161

    Open carry is more than open carry

    Submitted by brian_jeffs on Wed, 12/02/2009

    [size=Open carry is more than open carry
    ]Brian G. Jeffs, Board of Directors
    Second Amendment March

    It’s true that open carry has many advantages: a faster draw, a larger caliber handgun and greater round capacity; sure it’s been shown to deter crime, and it is immensely more comfortable to carry in warm weather, but it is much more than that.

    Open carry brings gun ownership out of the closet. It shows your friends and neighbors, your state and your country that you are not afraid of taking on the responsibility of protecting yourself and the ones you love from evil. Open carry is a visible expression of our natural right to self preservation. Open carry makes a statement that we are not afraid to stand up to the “politically correct” ideology that has created a nanny state, where the government is there to help us if we just do as they say, and a pox on anyone that disagrees.
    Open carry can lead us out of this stupor and deliver us once again to the days when a man could stand tall and be proud of his community, his state, and his country.

    When you open carry you are saying to the world, I’m my own man, I’m able and willing to defend myself, my family, and if need be my community, my state, and my country. It also states that I’m willing to stand up and speak truth to authority. It’s shameful that we as law abiding citizens must stand up to authority, the very authority that we have empowered, when questioned about our lawful right to openly carry a firearm. But stand up we must. The open carry of a firearm speaks volumes and it’s says much more than just open carry.
    I completely agree.

    Often times I feel that the people who hurt the gun rights cause the most are the coward gun owners. The ones that treat their guns as dirty little secrets, hide them away, and lie about owning firearms altogether.

    I understand the desire for security and fear of repercussions when you admit you are a gun owner. But as Benjamin Franklin said "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." They think hiding their guns gives them a little bit of short term security, while in the long run they are hurting us all by reinforcing the idea that "guns are bad" and need to be hidden away.

  14. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    San Diego County, CA, California, USA
    Posts
    1,402

    Post imported post

    Actually, poll after poll after poll conducted by the "liberal" media all show that gun ownership is a right in the majority's mind. And the majority keeps getting bigger.

    Unfortunately, the majority of government is practically immune from prosecution as the pro-criminal safety, victim-disarming traitors they are, so even if 99% believed it to be so, there would still be 1% in government to persecute the 99%.

  15. #15
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338

    Post imported post

    mark edward marchiafava wrote:
    It would be more accurate to say I've had more REAL LIFE experiences than most here and, and, and I do not subscribe to some of the foolish notions some here share.

    Example: I ambushed a rather thuggish state representative, Donald Ray Kennard, on live talk radio in Baton Rouge (WJBO).
    Good ole boy Donald Ray bragged I was the ONLY person his office hears from with opposition to his concept of demanding a thumbprint in order to obtain a driver's "license." I pounced on him with "as we speak, I have five persons lined up here, calling your office to also express displeasure with your Nazi agenda. Since your secretary, Mary, hung up after hearing from the FIRST one, she was UNABLE to hear from the other four. THAT is why you think your constituents / slaves are behind you."

    It was truly funny to hear him try to weasel out of that one. The point I'm TRYING to get across is just because you don't APPEAR to run into stiff opposition isn't because everyone's on board with you. In the case of OC, most people don't WANT you to OC, as it offends their twisted version of Utopia.
    Again, I never said everybody is on board, but I open carry practically everywhere I go, do you? It's great you ambushed your state rep. on finger print , but we are talking about open carry here. And in this state because of our actively open carrying it is becoming quite accepted.

    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Galion, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    17

    Post imported post

    Haha, yeah I dont take my holster off in places that are no carry, I do occasionally get some looks, I think it makes a pretty good statement

  17. #17
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338

    Post imported post

    mark edward marchiafava wrote:
    If you ever want to get the OC message out, try walking into a state court wearing an EMPTY holster !!! LOL, let's just say they noticed.
    I have...I use the lockboxes at our courthouses here all the time. And have stood in front of a few judges with an empty holster.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  18. #18
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338

    Post imported post

    mark edward marchiafava wrote:
    Or, if you're feeling really frisky, the FEDERAL courthouse !!!
    They sure were curious..............
    LOL...I bet...I have yet to empty holster there...but I have in our local Federal Building andIRS's offices.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  19. #19
    Regular Member Alexcabbie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Alexandria, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    2,290

    Post imported post

    sudden valley gunner wrote:
    mark edward marchiafava wrote:
    If you ever want to get the OC message out, try walking into a state court wearing an EMPTY holster !!! LOL, let's just say they noticed.
    I have...I use the lockboxes at our courthouses here all the time. And have stood in front of a few judges with an empty holster.
    In most Virginia courtrooms only the Bailiff (and the judge) are allowed to carry. So it isn't so unusual.Most of our courtrooms don't have lockboxes though; except for the LEOs.




  20. #20
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338

    Post imported post

    mark edward marchiafava wrote:
    The only reason I was even there in the first place was to PERSONALLY file suit against the Gonzales PD after they made the mistake of arresting me for OC'ing !!!
    You did this without a Lawyer? Maybe I should too.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  21. #21
    Regular Member MatieA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Egbert, Wyoming, USA
    Posts
    403

    Post imported post

    Mo.Co. Original wrote:
    Haha, yeah I dont take my holster off in places that are no carry, I do occasionally get some looks, I think it makes a pretty good statement
    I too believe that it makes a statement, I never remove my holster when entering the School, or Post Office, or State Capitol (I have had no reason to enter a courthouse), and I get the most questionsand odd looks whenI am seen with an empty holster versus a full one.
    If you do not test yourself every single day,
    then it is just another wasted day.
    --Semper Fi--

  22. #22
    Regular Member Alexcabbie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Alexandria, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    2,290

    Post imported post

    On those occasions when I am wearing an empty hoster, people often look at me like::quirky as if I left my capgun in the supervisor's desk at the sheltered workshop.

  23. #23
    Regular Member KansasMustang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Herington, Kansas, USA
    Posts
    1,005

    Post imported post

    So Mark Edward, I'm not going to sully your name nor will I endeavor to besmirch your real life experiences, but I want to know where TF you get off calling antone a slave? I'm just wondering since you're such a billy bad ass how many lives you've taken? Or how many fire-fights you've been in. Don't judge a man til you've walked a mile in his moccasins.
    And NEVER,,,ever call me a slave. Just me wondering how many years you were in a combat zone is all.
    Keep your powder dry!
    Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man. Thomas Jefferson

  24. #24
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Lobelville, Tennessee, USA
    Posts
    2,615

    Post imported post

    I've been carrying for almost 15 months, now. I OC everyday, everywhere I go that is legal. I have yet to have a negative encounter with anyone over it.All comments about my sidearms are very positive or inquisative. I don't know where this "majority" of anti-gun folks are but they sure aren't where I live.

    In fact, I was thanked for being armed one time, while at a TEA Party in down town Nashville, at Legislative PLaza.

    I agree with Mike that OC is more than just excercising our 2A Rights. It's an excercise in Independence, Self-reliance, and Self-determination. If some folks can't handle that, it's just too damned bad.

  25. #25
    Regular Member MatieA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Egbert, Wyoming, USA
    Posts
    403

    Post imported post

    KansasMustang wrote:
    <snipI'm just wondering since you're such a billy bad ass how many lives you've taken? Or how many fire-fights you've been in. >snip
    What a silly statement to make. Why would anyone brag about such a thing??
    If you do not test yourself every single day,
    then it is just another wasted day.
    --Semper Fi--

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •