• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Great story out of California

Edward Peruta

imported post

The gun turn in ripoff

In these hard economic times, everyone thinking of turning in a firearm to get a $100 gift card should first have the weapon's estimated value established and consider selling it to a reputable firearm dealer or individual who has an Eligibilty Certificate or Permit to Carry. Obviously the proper paperwork and authorizaiton number from DPS would be required.

Many individuals have NO idea of how much their weapons may be worth especially those that may be sought after by collectors.

If on the other hand the weapons are being turned in because of the owner's anti firearm beliefs, no amount above the $100 will matter.

N6ATF

Banned
imported post

Edward Peruta wrote:
The gun turn in ripoff

In these hard economic times, everyone thinking of turning in a firearm to get a $100 gift card should first have the weapon's estimated value established and consider selling it to a reputable firearm dealer or individual who has an Eligibilty Certificate or Permit to Carry. Obviously the proper paperwork and authorizaiton number from DPS would be required.
If they are in a state that has these things... remember, the thread is about a CA ripoff, where cops can violate the GFSZ and ATF regs with impunity.

Edward Peruta

imported post

The answer was ment to be generic, there was and is a post in the Connecticut section where questions about the Hartord event were posted. I answered their and included the answer here. I later edited it in an attempt to remove the parts pertaining to CT.

The process would still be the same, two individuals can enter into the sale of a firearm or it can be purchased by a dealer. The fact that indiviuduals may be selling or what amounts to giving away extremely valuable antique and modern firearms unknowingly is my main concern.

There should be a mandatory reqiurement that the public agencies or organizations conducting these events provide a receipt of the current publshed wholesale value of each firearmpurchased or surrendered.

JUMPMASTER

imported post

Plus the guns that were turned in the other day in Hartford will all be destroyed unless they are linked to a crime. Wouldn't the City of Hartford do better for its taxpayers by taking the turned in guns and selling them to a dealer, or at a police auction?

N6ATF

Banned
imported post

JUMPMASTER wrote:
Plus the guns that were turned in the other day in Hartford will all be destroyed unless they are linked to a crime. Wouldn't the City of Hartford do better for its taxpayers by taking the turned in guns and selling them to a dealer, or at a police auction?
Don't misunderstand the purpose of government: to screw the taxpayers in every way possible.

ESCH

imported post

Just wanted to add:

Hats off to the gentleman who took it upon himself to make a difference. He went out on his own to try to educate. He was also able to get his message out to a news reporter. Hats off for a job well done.

Hats off to the reporter for actually keeping an open mind. Trying to tell a balanced story. I can only hope her paper doesn't try to limit her in future open minded articles on related topics. I can see she is still in the process of learning and still has a few fear driven opinions but that does take time and education to change. At least she is willing to listen. Hopefully she takes them up on the offer for some formal training and education.

This is a great example of what I believe needs to be done with all media people. Take them under our wings and teach them safe and responsible gun ownership andsafety.

SlackwareRobert

imported post

Don't they use private money for these buy backs? Therefore it is private sales,
so all the paperwork and waiting times for a gun sale would have to be met.
Looks like they are breaking there own laws, plus several straw man ones as well.

But anyone who would sell their safety for $100, deserves to be mugged and have
it taken away as well.

Decoligny

imported post

N6ATF wrote:
JUMPMASTER wrote:
Don't misunderstand the purpose of government: to screw and disarm the taxpayers in every way possible.
Fixed that for ya!