• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Unloaded carry while intoxicated?

gluegun

imported post

I want to make sure I'm reading this right. It appears that under CT state law, it is lawful to carry an unloaded firearm while under the influence of intoxicating liquor or drugs.

Sec. 53-206d. Carrying a firearm while under the influence of intoxicating liquor or drug prohibited. Hunting while under the influence of intoxicating liquor or drug or while impaired by the consumption of intoxicating liquor prohibited. (a)(1) No person shall carry a pistol, revolver, machine gun, shotgun, rifle or other firearm, which is loaded and from which a shot may be discharged, upon his person (A) while under the influence of intoxicating liquor or any drug, or both, or (B) while the ratio of alcohol in the blood of such person is ten-hundredths of one per cent or more of alcohol, by weight.

What say you?

Edward Peruta

imported post

Submit the issue to DPS Special License and Firearms Unit.

It is the absence of the fact that may cause doing so, (carrying anUNLOAED firearm while intoxicated),to NOT be prohibited or criminal in nature.

I don't even want to touch the topic of defending an intoxicated person who intentionally carries unloadedso they can carry while intoxicated.

Guns and alcohol don't mix and their are limits to everything.

gluegun

imported post

Edward Peruta wrote:
I don't even want to touch the topic of defending an intoxicated person who intentionally carries unloadedso they can carry while intoxicated.

I agree, I was just a bit surprised to read what I thought I was reading.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Edward Peruta wrote:

Agreed.

I think there should be a law in every state that would make it unlawful for any person to carry a gun, loaded or unloaded, and intentionally or unintentionally, if they are impaired (drunk) by alcohol.

"Impaired" would be set at BAC equalling or exceeding .15%.

Such a law would be quite beneficial. No one could possibly oppose it. I mean, who wants to defend drunken gunsels?

Not me.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

gluegun wrote:
The sentiment is nice, but I oppose any further restriction on the right to bear arms, however benevolent...

Why on earth would you oppose a law that would make it illegal to carry a gun if one was blotto drunk (BAC .15)?

That's grossly irresponsible behavior we're talking about....

gluegun

imported post

I don't disagree with you on it being irresponsible.

I flatly don't believe we should have ANY further restriction of our rights... any of them.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

gluegun wrote:
I don't disagree with you on it being irresponsible.

I flatly don't believe we should have ANY further restriction of our rights... any of them.

How would such a law restrict our rights?

I would estimate that it would diminish pressure for restrictions on gun carry regulation.

gluegun

imported post

It would be a law that limits the number of situations under which a person could lawfully exercise their right to bear arms.

Your estimation has no basis in fact. It is an opinion. It doesn't matter how many "feel good" laws you pass that appease people opposed to the carrying of firearms. They're opposed to the carrying of firearms, not the corner cases that are not yet regulated.

Hef

imported post

Carrying a firearm while intoxicated, loaded or not, is unsafe and irresponsible. Doing so in a public place is an invitation to tragedy. A responsible person either stays sober and lets his (or her) friends drink, or leaves the gun at home and has a few.

I choose to be the designated driver and carry my firearm, while the others drink in safety. It's the responsible thing to do. I won't advocate for a law forcing my concept of responsibility on others, and I won't be supportive of those who would drink and carry either.

aadvark

imported post

I have heard of instances under different State Laws that say you may drink Alcohol so as long as you are Legally Sober (i.e. <.08% BAC) and Carry.

For instance, in Lousiana it is <.05% BAC in order to Legally Carry while Drinking.

However, as Pro-Firearm as I am, and I am more Pro-Firearm then most, drinking Alcohol and Carrying a Pistol, especially where I am from in The South, is pretty much asking for trouble.

In Conneticut, I can almost rest assure you that if you drink Alcohol and Carry you will probably go to Jail.

Guns in Bars is fine in my opinion, however; when you start talking aboutwanting to Drink and Carry at the same time... well,... please just do not do that.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

There are already enough laws regulating any illegal act one might do with a firearm.

Do we really need another law regulating what one might do with an unloaded gun? :banghead:

The antis must love this thread.

Yata hey

buketdude

imported post

Whats CT's definition of "loaded"? maybe you could carry a SA as long as one is not in the chamber? if i am going to have over 2 beers i won't carry or just leave it in my car...if there was no law i would carry....you could get some pepper spray if you are concerned about something happening while you are "intoxicated"

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

buketdude wrote:
Whats CT's definition of "loaded"? maybe you could carry a SA as long as one is not in the chamber? if i am going to have over 2 beers i won't carry or just leave it in my car...if there was no law i would carry....you could get some pepper spray if you are concerned about something happening while you are "intoxicated"
If I knew what or when something was going to happen, I could simply wait until then......and leave 30 sec before.

I don't see that what I do or you do has any relevance. Carrying an empty gun should be as illegal as having a car with no gas - neither makes much sense but hardly endangers any one.

This is simply a solution looking for a problem, again.

Yata hey

Rugerp345

imported post

This would obviously permit the police to stop me on the street if I was OC'ing and stumbled, or "appeared to be intoxicated" and conduct a field sobriety test, which might lead to a BAC test. If I am driving (at least in NC) and refuse to submit to a BAC, my license is automatically revoked for a year.
What's to say my right to carry wouldn't be revoked if I refused a BAC test while carrying? Who's to say this isn't just a tool to harass law abiding OC'ers?

Sober people are pulled over everyday just to be checked out by some racial-profiling or overzealous cop with the excuse "You were weaving a little bit" or "You were over the center line". "Appeared to be intoxicated" is at the total discretion of the officer and what he believes (or wants) to see.

Sorry, I'm just not willing to give up that much freedom.

"Those who would give up a little liberty in exchange for a little security deserve neither liberty nor security."

Edward Peruta

imported post

Let's get serious,

Ligitimate Quesiton or Statement deserve answers.

So here is the answer:

Connecticut law(s) allow a person with a valid permit to drinkalcohol IF their BAC does not reach or exceed .07 which by statute is the threshold for being IMPAIRED or .10 which is the threshold for being INTOXICATED and triggers some very serious, stiff, (and inmy opinion), well deserved criminal MISDEMEANOR charges.

The State Police attempted to have the .10 limit reduced to .08 which is the DUI threshold and the measure failed to pass.

Yes, a person legally carrying with a valid permit may drink while carrying, but I do NOT recommend it nor will I do it.

BAC) and Carry.

For instance, in Louisiana it is <.05% BAC in order to Legally Carry while Drinking.

However, as Pro-Firearm as I am, and I am more Pro-Firearm then most, drinking Alcohol and Carrying a Pistol, especially where I am from in The South, is pretty much asking for trouble.

In Connecticut, I can almost rest assure you that if you drink Alcohol and Carry you will probably go to Jail.

Guns in Bars is fine in my opinion, however; when you start talking aboutwanting to Drink and Carry at the same time... well,... please just do not do that.
[/quote]

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

The OPs premise/topic was UNloaded carry, so why are other detours becoming the focus?

I agree and will not consume alcohol when I carry.

Yata hey

GoldCoaster

imported post

I smell another postulate coming..

It is unwise to drunkenly shoot an unarmed person
It is unwise to shoot a drunk and unarmed person
It is unwise to shoot a drink out of an unarmed persons hand

gluegun

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
The OPs premise/topic was UNloaded carry, so why are other detours becoming the focus?

I agree and will not consume alcohol when I carry.

Yata hey
A certain individual has interesting ideas for making it easier for the government to intrude on our rights while making those opposed to our cause feel better about allowing us to continue exercising our privileges and facilitating the running of serial numbers, manufacture dates, etc with less "hassle" and more "efficiency". I felt the need to respond, but it seems to be over now.

It appears the question has been fully answered and I want to thank everyone for their input.

I'd like to close with mixing guns and alcohol is irresponsible and should not be done. Whenever I am drinking, my firearm is locked up. When I am sober and others are drinking it remains locked up or holstered under my direct control. As responsible gun owners, I hope everyone follows similar procedures.