• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Problem with CHP Renewal

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
imported post

I went to the Accomack Court Clerk's office today to take in my renewal application. I handed the lady the application along with a photo copy of my current CHP. The conversation went:

C) You need to put your SS # on here.

M) No that is not required.

C) That's what they use for the back ground check.

M) They can do a back ground check without it.

C) Do you have fingerprint cards?

M) No not required for renewal.

C) When does you permit expire?

M) 4/10/2010

C) It's too early?

M) I'm applying within 90 to 180 day rule under 18.2-308 I.

C) OK but they may not process it.

M) I'm not trying to be hard to get along with, I'm only doing what the law says.

C) I'm just saying what he has told us.

M) is Sam here?

C) No.

M) If he has a problem have him call me.

My Calendar is marked for 45 days from now. If I havent received new permit or it comes in with wrong effective date I'll go back. The Clerk knows me and if there is a problem we'll fix it. I'm hooping the problem is the person at the desk. I would hope Sam knows better.

:banghead:

user

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

So I take it the clerk accepted the application notwithstanding the confusion? That is what they're supposed to do, as the person filing the document is the one taking the risk that he's done something wrong. Was this The Clerk or a deputy?

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
imported post

A deputy I hope the clerk knows the correct code. If not I'm sure it won't take long to fix. He knows me I'm a Town Councilman for Accomac, which is the county seat among other things.

:dude:

Rugerp345

imported post

You can refuse to provide a social security number and a government agency cannot refuse to provide you a service of benefit.
You can refuse to provide a SSN to a private business and they can make the choice to do business with you or not.
The CHP is issued by the STATE and that is a government agency.

Privacy Act (P.L. 93-579) enacted effective September 27, 1975 to limit governmental use of the SSN:

Provided that no State or local government agency may withhold a benefit from a person simply because the individual refuses to furnish his or her SSN.
Required that Federal, State and local agencies which request an individual to disclose his/her SSN inform the individual if disclosure was mandatory or voluntary.

The downside is that if you do not provide it, and they run a BG check by name & DOB only, you might be denied because they have confused you with someone else.

The NC application states that it is voluntary, but they also include the warning that they may not be able to do a complete BG check if you don't provide it.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Rugerp345 wrote:
You can refuse to provide a social security number and a government agency cannot refuse to provide you a service of benefit.
You can refuse to provide a SSN to a private business and they can make the choice to do business with you or not.

Privacy Act (P.L. 93-579) enacted effective September 27, 1975 to limit governmental use of the SSN:

Provided that no State or local government agency may withhold a benefit from a person simply because the individual refuses to furnish his or her SSN.
Required that Federal, State and local agencies which request an individual to disclose his/her SSN inform the individual if disclosure was mandatory or voluntary.

The downside is that if you do not provide it, and they run a BG check by name & DOB only, you might be denied because they have confused you with someone else.

The NC application states that it is voluntary, but they also include the warning that they may not be able to do a complete BG check if you don't provide it.
In Va. your social security number cannot be required. Good thing to as permits are a matter of public record.

I think the statement that no social security number may slow up the process is pure BS - NCIS does not require it in any event.

Yata hey

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Wolf_shadow wrote:
I went to the Accomack Court Clerk's office today to take in my renewal application. I handed the lady the application along with a photo copy of my current CHP. The conversation went:

C) You need to put your SS # on here.

M) No that is not required.

C) That's what they use for the back ground check.

M) They can do a back ground check without it.

C) Do you have fingerprint cards?

M) No not required for renewal.

C) When does you permit expire?

M) 4/10/2010

C) It's too early?

M) I'm applying within 90 to 180 day rule under 18.2-308 I.

C) OK but they may not process it.

M) I'm not trying to be hard to get along with, I'm only doing what the law says.

C) I'm just saying what he has told us.

M) is Sam here?

C) No.

M) If he has a problem have him call me.

My Calendar is marked for 45 days from now. If I havent received new permit or it comes in with wrong effective date I'll go back. The Clerk knows me and if there is a problem we'll fix it. I'm hooping the problem is the person at the desk. I would hope Sam knows better.

:banghead:

Just pray it is denied so you can appeal or sue them:cool:

Also, why don't you lobby your County Supervisors to repeal the fingerprint ordinance - most localities do not print at all.

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
imported post

Update - received new CHP Issue date 01/13/2010 expireation date of 01/12/2015 intead of the 04/10/2010 and 04/09/2015 it should have.

Sent email to the Court Clerk requesting correction:

On 9 December 2009 I submitted my application for renewal of my Concealed Handgun Permit (CHP). This was 122 days prior to the expiration date of my current CHP of 10 April 2010. (PDF image of canceledcheck attached)

I submitted my applicationunder the current Virginia code 18.2-308 (I) which states in part:

"If the new five-year permit is issued while an existing permit remains valid, the new five-year permit shall become effective upon the expiration date of the existing permit, provided that the application is received by the court at least 90 days but no more than 180 days prior to the expiration of the existing permit."

Under 18.2-308 (I) the effective date of my new CHP should be 04/10/2010 with an expiration date of 04/09/2015not the dates of 01/13/2010 and 01/12/2010shown on the CHP I received.

Pleasecontact me on (757) XXX-XXXX at your convenienceso we can correct this issue.

We'll see what happens next. :banghead:

2a4all

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Rugerp345 wrote:

In Va. your social security number cannot be required. Good thing to as permits are a matter of public record.

I think the statement that no social security number may slow up the process is pure BS - NCIS does not require it in any event.

Yata hey
I'm a fan of the show, but NCIS has nothing to do with Virginia Firearms Laws. I think you mean NICS.

Sic Semper Tyrranis should include Committee Chairpersons & Speakers of the House