Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Should I have my barrel recrowned?

  1. #1
    Regular Member CRF250rider1000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Herndon, VA & Martinsville, VA
    Posts
    1,448

    Post imported post

    This is my 1911 barrel and I didn't notice this till last night when I was cleaning it. Should I get it recrowned? I have no idea how this happened. I baby the heck out of this gun. :?



  2. #2
    Founder's Club Member Hawkflyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    3,315

    Post imported post

    If you plan on shooting a lot of silhouette matches at over 250 meters then Yes. If you are carrying it for self defense then the tiny alteration in accuracy that this is likely to create is insignificant. You might be talking about half inch at 50 meters. That is just a little over one bullet width.

    Regards
    "Research has shown that a 230 grain lead pellet placed just behind the ear at 850 FPS results in a permanent cure for violent criminal behavior."
    "If you are not getting Flak, you are not over the target"
    "186,000 Miles per second! ... Not just a good idea ... It's the law!"

  3. #3
    Regular Member CRF250rider1000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Herndon, VA & Martinsville, VA
    Posts
    1,448

    Post imported post

    I'll let it be for now then. Thanks!

  4. #4
    Regular Member ODA 226's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Etzenricht, Germany
    Posts
    1,598

    Post imported post

    Hawkflyer wrote:
    If you plan on shooting a lot of silhouette matches at over 250 meters then Yes. If you are carrying it for self defense then the tiny alteration in accuracy that this is likely to create is insignificant. You might be talking about half inch at 50 meters. That is just a little over one bullet width.

    Regards
    Holy doggypoo! Hawkflyer and I agree again!
    Bitka Sve Rešava!
    B-2-10 SFG(A)/ A-2-11 SFG(A) 1977-1994

  5. #5
    Founder's Club Member Hawkflyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    3,315

    Post imported post

    ODA 226 wrote:
    Hawkflyer wrote:
    If you plan on shooting a lot of silhouette matches at over 250 meters then Yes. If you are carrying it for self defense then the tiny alteration in accuracy that this is likely to create is insignificant. You might be talking about half inch at 50 meters. That is just a little over one bullet width.

    Regards
    Holy doggypoo! Hawkflyer and I agree again!
    Well this has got to stop it's starting to ruin my reputation.
    "Research has shown that a 230 grain lead pellet placed just behind the ear at 850 FPS results in a permanent cure for violent criminal behavior."
    "If you are not getting Flak, you are not over the target"
    "186,000 Miles per second! ... Not just a good idea ... It's the law!"

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    1,863

    Post imported post

    "Should I have my barrel recrowned?"

    Uhhhh, well...I've never "quite" heard it explained like that before, but if it feels good for you...


  7. #7
    Founder's Club Member Hawkflyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    3,315

    Post imported post

    Dave Workman wrote:
    "Should I have my barrel recrowned?"

    Uhhhh, well...I've never "quite" heard it explained like that before, but if it feels good for you...

    You are confusing crowning a bore with polishing a torpedo.
    "Research has shown that a 230 grain lead pellet placed just behind the ear at 850 FPS results in a permanent cure for violent criminal behavior."
    "If you are not getting Flak, you are not over the target"
    "186,000 Miles per second! ... Not just a good idea ... It's the law!"

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    1,863

    Post imported post

    Hawkflyer wrote:
    Dave Workman wrote:
    "Should I have my barrel recrowned?"

    Uhhhh, well...I've never "quite" heard it explained like that before, but if it feels good for you...

    You are confusing crowning a bore with polishing a torpedo.

    Oh THAT'S what you call it, eh?


  9. #9
    Campaign Veteran marshaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia
    Posts
    11,487

    Post imported post

    Don't worry about that, it'll buff out.



    But seriously, you might try to lap it away with one of these:

    http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=8...E_CROWNING_LAP

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •