• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hello Everyone/Couple Questions

ACMeesot

imported post

First off, I'd like to say hello to all the members of this discussion board. I am a firm believer of fighting to preserve our rights, especially our 2nd amendment rights. I look forward to speaking with all of you and meeting you in person.

I know the answers to these questions are most likely floating around in another thread so I apologize if my questions are repetitive.

I feel as though I've got a pretty firm grasp on the basic concepts and the do's and don’ts of open carry. My question is this. We're all aware of the fact that in certain situations, if not most, law enforcement officials will be looking for excuses to get us, the same way we look for weak or inadequate passages of law to further our stances.

At the end of the day, the law is based on logic, common sense, and what the feelings of the majority are. That being said, I keep thinking about the restrictions (school zones, governmental buildings, etc).Long story short, let's say you're driving past such an establishment, surely they can't expect a person to not be open carrying in a vehicle in such a zone. What; am I supposed to pull over and lock away my 9, every time I'm in such an area?

And what about when I'm going out, to eat, night out on the town, whatever; am I supposed to conduct several hours of research, to make sure there are no schools or governmental buildings in the area, just so I can leave the house? It makes the entire process so painful and time consuming, it makes a person want to say screw it and not open carry at all!

Now I understand that a lot of the time you'll be in neighborhoods you're familiar with, but say I go to a random coffee shop that's a few miles out from where I normally tend to hang out, I get 12031'd, and the officer informs me that there is a high school 800 feet to the east, now I have to get thrown in the slammer for a couple years and/or cough up a ton of cash to pay for legal and court fees?

This doesn't make sense to me.I'm pretty sure the founding fathers weren't sitting around a table and saying "we'll give the people rights so that they don't get shafted, but we'll make those rights so complex and time consuming, that they're better off never leaving the confinements of their home"

I understand how verbiage has a lot to do with it, to get it really bad, you have to “knowingly” be in such a zone, so on and so forth, but I don't want to get it bad. I don't want to get anything at all. I simply want to live and help restore this nation to what it was meant to be.

Any and all information is appreciated as I'm a total noob and have plenty to learn on this matter. I've seen all of the pullnshoot25 vids on youtube, thank you for that, and I’m looking forward to gathering more information and helping in any way that I can.

Thank you.

-Soska

wewd

imported post

I think you understand the situation quite well. The State of California does not want you to carry a firearm, period. The laws are designed to make it as difficult as possible for you to have a means to defend yourself. They are also designed to make criminals of people who have no intention to commit crimes in the first place, which is why we have the GFSZ. Anyone of sound reasoning knows that no such law will deter a true criminal from shooting up a school, but as was the case for Theseus, the law is very good at making honest, regular people into criminals.

ACMeesot

imported post

Thanks for the response wewd.

Not being able to open carry on the actual premises, okay, fine, understandable, hell, even within 100 feet of these restricted zones, fine, but 1000 feet or 1500 feet, is garbage. That pretty much makes it impossible to open carry anywhere in greater Los Angeles. If I lived in the woods, I wouldn't really have as much of a need or desire to open carry!

And what really rubs me the wrong way is how people in different levels of state politics are so fearful about bringing up these matters. They make it sound like we're this amazing minority when in reality, I'd even go out on a limb here and say that there are more of us than there are "hardcore gun control" people. Most people are okay with it, it's the state and local government and the media that makes it look like people that enjoy firearms and their right to bear arms are a small group of strange folks.

What do we need to do? Get more pro-gun people on ballots? Hold large scale open carry meets? This nonsense has gone on long enough.