• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Good....interesting CC expeirence

FedwyCC

imported post

I recently was a patron with a group of friends at a local bowling alley in Bellevue and we went to one of their later midnight bowling sessions. i have always CC'd at that location and never has it been posted any prohibition of guns. there is always a police officer that posts up at the alley during the night sessions because it is frequented with many younger kids who can't go out "bar hoping" and there have been a few problems in the past with fights etc....

anyways,

i was enjoying my night as usual and other then my normal t-shirt covering my full size Ruger P-90 on my hip. now as most of you know it is very difficult to bowl and not have your shirt rise up, and in my case show a nice glisten of stainless...now the Kirkland Police officer immediately noticed the firearm and kept a very close eye on my the whole night but never bothered me about it...until i went to leave.

i thought i was in for it when he pulled me aside. he just told me "you should try to conceal that a little better" and didn't check a permit or run any serial numbers.

so it was a good expeirence over all

joeroket

imported post

Sounds to me like he was following his training bulletin and the laws and was just giving friendly advice as it was obvious the OP was CC'ing his pistol.

HeesBonafide

imported post

Thanks for sharing. Since you were CC'ing, sounds like he was offering to let you know that while you may not want others to know, he noticed.

TechnoWeenie

imported post

You are concealing a firearm, and IMO the officer has every reason/right to ask for a permit if a concealed firearm is present.

I see it as a friendly gesture, not something done to bust your balls...

SpyderTattoo

imported post

He had the right to ask about the CPL, but he didn't... So what was the purpose? If he had no intention of checking CPL he should have left you alone. Sure he thought he was offering friendly advice, but there was really no point in it.

Dr. Fresh

imported post

SpyderTattoo wrote:
He had the right to ask about the CPL, but he didn't... So what was the purpose? If he had no intention of checking CPL he should have left you alone. Sure he thought he was offering friendly advice, but there was really no point in it.
Seemed to me it was just that, friendly advice, a consensual encounter.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

SpyderTattoo wrote:
He should know that OC is legal and should not have said anything. So what if you're CC'ing and it pops out?

I agree but the officer probably was just trying to help.

I would have used it as an education moment.

American Rattlesnake

imported post

Dr. Fresh wrote:
Yes, seems like friendly advice to me....a nice gesture, even. Seems more along the lines of "If you're trying to hide that, you need to try a little harder, because it's not working" rather than "You need to cover that."

heresolong

imported post

TechnoWeenie wrote:
You are concealing a firearm, and IMO the officer has every reason/right to ask for a permit if a concealed firearm is present.
I agree that it sounds like he was just being helpful.

However, could someone explain why exactly the officer has a right to ask for a CPL if he or she knows you are carrying a concealed pistol. Is it not true that asking for a CPL would fall under a Terry stop, in which case there must be RAS that a crime is being committed? If it doesn't fall under Terry, why not? You are being detained and asked to provide documentation. I

If the mere fact of carrying a firearm is not probable cause to detain under Terry, then why should the fact that it is concealed trigger RAS that a crime is being committed?

Tawnos

imported post

heresolong wrote:
TechnoWeenie wrote:
I agree that it sounds like he was just being helpful.

However, could someone explain why exactly the officer has a right to ask for a CPL if he or she knows you are carrying a concealed pistol. Is it not true that asking for a CPL would fall under a Terry stop, in which case there must be RAS that a crime is being committed? If it doesn't fall under Terry, why not? You are being detained and asked to provide documentation. I

If the mere fact of carrying a firearm is not probable cause to detain under Terry, then why should the fact that it is concealed trigger RAS that a crime is being committed?
The law states that you must show a CPL on demand to any LEO when required by law to do so, such as carrying a concealed pistol. Until someone challenges this on constitutional grounds (and it'd be a hard case to win, IMO, but not impossible), an officer who knows you are concealing a pistol may request to see your license. The RAS in this case, if one is needed, is that it is a crime to conceal without a license to do so, and you exposed that you were concealing. It's weak, but possible that a reasonable person might think you're carrying illegally.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

....but that makes an assumption you are carrying illegally.

...like pulling you over because the officer sees you have a dog in the car and wants to see if its liscensed.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
sudden valley gunner wrote:
....but that makes an assumption you are carrying illegally.

...like pulling you over because the officer sees you have a dog in the car and wants to see if its liscensed.
Does a dog need a license to drive a car?
LOL....don't know...but just reffering to the fact because in most counties I know you are required to license your dog. So does an officer seeing you driving with your dog have RAS to pull you over and check your dog license.

amzbrady

imported post

American Rattlesnake wrote:
Dr. Fresh wrote:
Yes, seems like friendly advice to me....a nice gesture, even. Seems more along the lines of "If you're trying to hide that, you need to try a little harder, because it's not working" rather than "You need to cover that."
I agree sounds like friendly advice. Cops are just normal people like us and look how often we puke our friendly advice into each others faces. BTW, what is Terry stop?

sudden valley gunner

imported post

amzbrady wrote:
American Rattlesnake wrote:
Dr. Fresh wrote:
I agree sounds like friendly advice. Cops are just normal people like us and look how often we puke our friendly advice into each others faces. BTW, what is Terry stop?
Terry vs Ohio