Thread: Hogue Powerspeed Holster

Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States

Post imported post

I own a Tanfoglio Witness in .45 and it's really hard to find a decent holster for it. I've been checking out the Hogue Powerspeed and was wondering if anyone on here had one and what do you think of it? Also, what problems, if any have you encountered?

I've checked the web and found both good and bad reviews of this holster. Some problems involved retention and some involved scratching of the barrel. I figure the first is operator error and the second can be cured by covering the magnets. Then again, the reviews I found were a few years old with the latest one being from 2004. Has Hogue maybe solved these problems?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    "All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

"I like people who stand on the Constitution... unless they're using it to wipe their feet." - Jon E Hutcherson

Post imported post

Although they are well-suited to range use and competition, I don't know how practical they would be for everyday OC.

The "retention" system on them is essentially a set of VER?Y powerful magnets molded into the frame, and a friction snap type device that holds the trigger guard.

I prefer a holster that gives my pistol more protection, and has a more "authoritative" retention system, like a thumb snap or a Serpa-style mechanism. But that's just my opinion. YMMV.

If you can find one cheap and used, or know someone who has one that will lend it to you for a few weeks, then give it a try, but they are pretty spendy to take a chance on purchasing new, if you're not absolutely sure it fits your needs...
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States

Post imported post

Thanks. I've been thinking about it for several days now and have come to pretty much the same conclusion. The REAL reason I was considering one is that I have a partially fused right wrist and drawing upward from a waist high holster is pretty uncomfortable. I guess what I'm really looking for is a speed holster with good retention.

Kind of sounds like a pipe dream, huh?
    "All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

"I like people who stand on the Constitution... unless they're using it to wipe their feet." - Jon E Hutcherson

Post imported post

You might look at some of these:

http://www.henningshootsguns.com/shop/holsters.html

And these guys have a very good reputation in the "custom" and SASS community, and will custom-make a holster for any gun on the planet:

http://www.saguarogunleather.com/

And Safariland makes a "speed holster" that offers a little more coverage than the Hogue, but it's also just "friction retention":

http://www.opticsplanet.net/safarila...selection.html
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Founder's Club Member Hawkflyer's Avatar

Post imported post

Contact Tucker Gun Leather. They can make you a custom holster to meet your specific needs. Use the link at the top of the OCDO pages.

The Witness is a very good choice for carry.

Regards
    "Research has shown that a 230 grain lead pellet placed just behind the ear at 850 FPS results in a permanent cure for violent criminal behavior."
    "If you are not getting Flak, you are not over the target"
    "186,000 Miles per second! ... Not just a good idea ... It's the law!"