• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hogue Powerspeed Holster

Bookman

Campaign Veteran
Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
imported post

I own a Tanfoglio Witness in .45 and it's really hard to find a decent holster for it. I've been checking out the Hogue Powerspeed and was wondering if anyone on here had one and what do you think of it? Also, what problems, if any have you encountered?

I've checked the web and found both good and bad reviews of this holster. Some problems involved retention and some involved scratching of the barrel. I figure the first is operator error and the second can be cured by covering the magnets. Then again, the reviews I found were a few years old with the latest one being from 2004. Has Hogue maybe solved these problems?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dreamer

imported post

Although they are well-suited to range use and competition, I don't know how practical they would be for everyday OC.

The "retention" system on them is essentially a set of VER?Y powerful magnets molded into the frame, and a friction snap type device that holds the trigger guard.

I prefer a holster that gives my pistol more protection, and has a more "authoritative" retention system, like a thumb snap or a Serpa-style mechanism. But that's just my opinion. YMMV.

If you can find one cheap and used, or know someone who has one that will lend it to you for a few weeks, then give it a try, but they are pretty spendy to take a chance on purchasing new, if you're not absolutely sure it fits your needs...

Bookman

Campaign Veteran
Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
imported post

Thanks. I've been thinking about it for several days now and have come to pretty much the same conclusion. The REAL reason I was considering one is that I have a partially fused right wrist and drawing upward from a waist high holster is pretty uncomfortable. I guess what I'm really looking for is a speed holster with good retention.

Kind of sounds like a pipe dream, huh?

Dreamer

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Contact Tucker Gun Leather. They can make you a custom holster to meet your specific needs. Use the link at the top of the OCDO pages.

The Witness is a very good choice for carry.

Regards