• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Round in chamber

imported post

First post here, I'd like to introduce.. but let's get to the point.

I've done a quick search through the forums, as well as through the RCW and have found no mention of carrying (in WA) with a round in the chamber of the firearm. I'm especially curious, as I plan to OC an SA XD .45. I'm worried, (as I'm not an XD expert)that when crawling under a truck, or handling rowdy horses the pistol my fire from impact.

Opinions or information?

brianstone1985

imported post

762 wrote:

I've done a quick search through the forums, as well as through the RCW and have found no mention of carrying (in WA) with a round in the chamber of the firearm. I'm especially curious, as I plan to OC an SA XD .45. I'm worried, (as I'm not an XD expert)that when crawling under a truck, or handling rowdy horses the pistol my fire from impact.

Opinions or information?
Howdy First Poster...

First it is fully legal to have a round in the chamber while OC'ing in WA state. Others will site this I'm sure as everyone around here loves to be so smart! except me cause I'm tired... so I'll say this.

Carry a round in the chamber cause it is legal.
If you are worried about the round accidentaly being fired... I'd like to say "nah aint gonna happen." but it might so you best get a really nice holster like mine! It blocks the little trigger thingy so nothing can snag it and go boom.

Good night to all and I hope this helped.

-Brian

Landpimp

imported post

I have seen some of the WSP Commercial vehical enforment troopers guns, they crawl all around/under the big rigs.....guns was beat to death(had a hard time getting the S#), but never went BANG by accident. They use Safriland holsters so there is alots of safety built into those

When I am working on my rigs I wear a J frame, its hurts less when I roll on it than a HK USP;)

I personaly would not carry unless I had a round in the pipe

the XD has plenty of safety features, but the owner is the real safety

FMCDH

imported post

Ok, first of all, lets clear up something important that was glossed over.

Without a"license" that is recognized by Washington State, you may OC a loaded pistol anywhere the law normally allows a firearm,as long as you are not in a vehicle.The RCWs make no distinction between simply sitting in a vehicle,or operating a vehicle.

So beware that you are technically breaking the law to even be working/sitting inside a vehicle on your own property (a closed garage on your property or place of business wouldexempt youfrom what I understand)with a loaded pistol if you do not have a recognized "license".

As for keeping one chambered, I would suggest wearing a good retention holster, and frequently making sure it was properly seated so as to not expose any part of the trigger. The grip safety on those XDs help quite a bit to make it "bump" safe.

I wear a DAO M&P with round in chamber all the time when I am doing manual labor type work, and have had no troubles, but to behonest, if I am doing close contact work where I may hit orcatchthe pistol on something, I just wear my BUG in my ankle rig.

massivedesign

imported post

I came from a HK USP to a XD.. I didn't carry with one in the pipe until I was completely comfortable with the drawing, firing and re-holstering of the XD. For me this meant to days up at capital forest, about 500 rounds and a lot of fun.

I had never owned a gun without a manual latch safety before, so I just wanted to be confident in my abilities. Now, no problems... All the same safety rules apply, regardless.

I wouldn't worry about a discharge while around the horses etc. Just be comfortable with your decision.

Bobarino

imported post

welcome aboard! i wouldn't worry too much about an unintentional discharge as long as you have a quality holster that covers the trigger guard. absolutely carry with a round chambered. if the time comes, there's a good chance you won't have the presence of mind or the fine motor skills to chamber that round before it's too late.

Bobby

Lammo

imported post

762 wrote:

Opinions or information?

One other quick note in addition to what the others have said. In WA, a semi-automatic firearm like the XD is considered "loaded" if there is ammunition in the magazine and the magazine is inserted in the pistol. See RCW 9.41.010(10). This is important to know for purposes of being in a vehicle as you may not generallyplace a loaded pistol in a vehicle in WA without a CPL (there are exceptions that prove the rule). I know that Utah (permit coming the mail any day now) defines "loaded" differently -a round must be chambered in a semi-auto for it to be considered loaded. In WA, a semi-auto will be considered loaded even without a round in the chamber.

G27

imported post

I have carried the same round in my Glock 27 chamber for over six months. I haven't been to the range and it stays in my backpack at all times. As long as you don't pull the trigger and it's secure it it's holster you should have no problems. 99% of negligent discharges are just that... negligence.

amlevin

imported post

Most modern pistols, carried in a good holster, will not discharge unless they are removed and a finger applied to the trigger.

As for NOT carrying with a round in the chamber, do it only if you like carrying an UNLOADED gun which then is about as effective as a club

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
imported post

762 wrote:

Opinions or information?
I have carried an XD for the past few years and not a problem one with having one in the chamber.

What concerned me at first was there is no outside safety button or switch of some sort.
There are Two Safeties on the XD, one on the trigger and the grip, both must be engaged to allow the gun to fire.

As others have addressed you are the most important safety feature that any gun can have.

Get to know the safety rules for handling firearms and do not break them.

There are good Training Schools in the Puget Sound Area, invest in yourself and family by attending them.

Dave Workman

imported post

FMCDH wrote:
Ok, first of all, lets clear up something important that was glossed over.

Without a"license" that is recognized by Washington State, you may OC a loaded pistol anywhere the law normally allows a firearm,as long as you are not in a vehicle.The RCWs make no distinction between simply sitting in a vehicle,or operating a vehicle.

So beware that you are technically breaking the law to even be working/sitting inside a vehicle on your own property (a closed garage on your property or place of business wouldexempt youfrom what I understand)with a loaded pistol if you do not have a recognized "license".

Welcome aboard, and our good friend FMCDH is right. Without a CPL, you can't carry loaded in a vehicle.

My advice is to just get a CPL so you don't have to worry about that little technicality.

The XD is a dandy pistol. I've fired several of them and never missed what I was aiming at. My only issue is the long trigger stroke; my carry gun is a 1911, either an Oly Arms Street Deuce or a Colt Commander, neither of which has the slightest discernible trigger creep, and both let off at 4.5 lbs.

Ditto on a good holster, a subject I know a bit about, since I own D&D GUNLEATHER (www.danddgunleather.com). Whether you go with leather, nylon or Kydex, a good secure holster is a MUST.

And Merry Christmas!

imported post

I thank each of you folks for your information, you gave me a lot more confidence with OC; I'm just obsessive over safety. I'm the guy that checks his rifle five times before putting it in the case at the range, then checks it five more times at home; I won't even 'swipe' a person with a shotgon barrel that's been removed from the receiver.

Landpimp

imported post

very wise!

as accidents do happen....trust me;)

762 wrote:
I thank each of you folks for your information, you gave me a lot more confidence with OC; I'm just obsessive over safety. I'm the guy that checks his rifle five times before putting it in the case at the range, then checks it five more times at home; I won't even 'swipe' a person with a shotgon barrel that's been removed from the receiver.

imported post

I've been looking at Blackhawk's CQC (level 2?) holsters. What do you think of those for OC?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

762 wrote:
I've been looking at Blackhawk's CQC (level 2?) holsters. What do you think of those for OC?
They are my preferred retention holster - strong, secure, fast and instinctive.

Yata hey

Lammo

imported post

762 wrote:
The Blackhawk is my CCW holster for my Glock 36 and I would have no trouble using it for OC as well. It is in common use by LEOs around here as well.

Vandal

imported post

762 wrote:
I've been looking at Blackhawk's CQC (level 2?) holsters.  What do you think of those for OC?

I have one for my XD and 1911. One of the best affordable OC holsters out there IMO. The one for my XD has been though a lot and done a great job of keeping my XD looking new despite me slipping on ice, falling down a mountain and living in my backpack for 2 years in college. Very good holsters.

amlevin

imported post

762 wrote:
They are great. Carry a Sig P-229 in one every day. Very cost effective and secure. Unlike leather, it doesn't care if it gets wet. A plus for OC in the northwest.

gsx1138

imported post

Carry my XD45 in a Serpa and I've never worried about a discharge. It's also nice to have simple retention. I love that the release button is right where my trigger finger would go anyway.