• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry on Horseback

wewd

imported post

This section does not prohibit or limit the otherwise lawful transportation of any other firearm, other than a pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed on the person, in accordance with state law.

People get hung up on the word "transportation". Put the rifle in a scabbard. It's not slung over your shoulder, so you're not "carrying" it, but you are "transporting" it.

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

demnogis wrote:
We're still unsure whether 626.9 applies only to pistols (concealable firearms) or rifles too (unconcealable firearms).
Just to clarify, are you talking about what wewd mentioned? The transportation thing?

demnogis

imported post

The penal code references possession as a qualifier, but transportation as the exclusion; that is what confuses most.

bigtoe416 wrote:
demnogis wrote:
We're still unsure whether 626.9 applies only to pistols (concealable firearms) or rifles too (unconcealable firearms).
Just to clarify, are you talking about what wewd mentioned? The transportation thing?

Decoligny

imported post

demnogis wrote:

No were not.

626.9 does not apply to long guns.

The Federal Gun Free School Zone Act however does apply to long guns.

Just don't get stopped by a Federal Officer if you are riding within 1,000 feet of school property.

demnogis

imported post

NorCo only has like 3 schools and a medium-sized RCC campus right?

Decoligny wrote:
demnogis wrote:

No were not.

Just don't get stopped by a Federal Officer if you are riding within 1,000 feet of  school property.

camsoup

imported post

Decoligny wrote:
demnogis wrote:

No were not.

Just don't get stopped by a Federal Officer if you are riding within 1,000 feet of school property.
This is from the 1996 GFSZ Act

(4) Nothing in this subsection shall be construed as
preempting or preventing a State or local government
from enacting a statute establishing gun-free
school zones as provided in this subsection.

Since CA has its own GFSZ act, the federal one cannot preempt it, therefore since CA only has a restriction on concealable firearms, I don't see how the federal law can apply to us in CA. Transporting long arms looks to be OK to me!

Decoligny

imported post

camsoup wrote:
Decoligny wrote:
demnogis wrote:

No were not.

Since CA has its own GFSZ act, the federal one cannot preempt it, therefore since CA only has a restriction on concealable firearms, I don't see how the federal law can apply to us in CA. Transporting long arms looks to be OK to me!

So, what you are saying is, if California made a law saying it is illegal to carry a gun within 10 feet of school property, that law makes the Federal Law null and void in the 990 feet beyond the 10 foot line? I don't think so.

What this does, is give the state the right to go above and beyond the Federal Law. The state recently tried to increase the GFSZ to 1,500 feet. The Federal Law is written so that the state can make its own law more stringent than the Federal Law if they so choose. It does nothing to eliminate the areas (long guns) that the Federal Law applies to.

bigtoe416

imported post

Decoligny wrote:
So, what you are saying is, if California made a law saying it is illegal to carry a gun within 10 feet of school property, that law makes the Federal Law null and void in the 990 feet beyond the 10 foot line? I don't think so.

What this does, is give the state the right to go above and beyond the Federal Law. The state recently tried to increase the GFSZ to 1,500 feet. The Federal Law is written so that the state can make its own law more stringent than the Federal Law if they so choose. It does nothing to eliminate the areas (long guns) that the Federal Law applies to.
That is the correct interpretation of the wording in my opinion. But really, it doesn't matter because the federal GFSZ law is unconstitutional.

From U.S. v. Lopez:

Held: The Act exceeds Congress' Commerce Clause authority. First, although this Court has upheld a wide variety of congressional Acts regulating intrastate economic activity that substantially affected interstate commerce, the possession of a gun in a local school zone is in no sense an economic activity that might, through repetition elsewhere, have such a substantial effect on interstate commerce. Section 922(q) is a criminal statute that by its terms has nothing to do with "commerce" or any sort of economic enterprise, however broadly those terms are defined. Nor is it an essential part of a larger regulation of economic activity, in which the regulatory scheme could be undercut unless the intrastate activity were regulated. It cannot, therefore, be sustained under the Court's cases upholding regulations of activities that arise out of or are connected with a commercial transaction, which viewed in the aggregate, substantially affects interstate commerce.

Second, §922(q) contains no jurisdictional element which would ensure, through case by case inquiry, that the firearms possession in question has the requisite nexus with interstate commerce. Respondent was a local student at a local school; there is no indication that he had recently moved in interstate commerce, and there is no requirement that his possession of the firearm have any concrete tie to interstate commerce. To uphold the Government's contention that §922(q) is justified because firearms possession in a local school zone does indeed substantially affect interstate commerce would require this Court to pile inference upon inference in a manner that would bid fair to convert congressional Commerce Clause authority to a general police power of the sort held only by the States. Pp. 2-19.

camsoup

imported post

Decoligny wrote:
camsoup wrote:
Decoligny wrote:
demnogis wrote:

No were not.

Yes that is the way I read it.... for example CA says its OK to have a 215 card and smoke marijuana...its illegal per the feds, but they have said they will not prosecute.

Why else would it say, (4) Nothing in this subsection shall be construed as
preempting
or preventing a State or local government
school zones

I read that as to say that the federal law will not preempt a state law or prevent the state from creating such law.

CA firearms law have preemption to city/county other than discharge.

Long beach may come up with a ban on all firearms in the city, but it isn't a legal law. And the state of CA is not going to enforce it.

oc4ever

imported post

I have read 629.6 several times. I am still having a problem understanding where it specifically excludes shotguns and long guns from the 1000 foot GFSZ unlocked. Most of the law talks about "firearms". All of the LEO training bulletins just say guns/firearms as a violation of 629.6.

This is another law that is clear as mud. I think a LEO after reading the law is going to have an easy time arresting you for cruising by a school zone with a shotgun, loaded or not.

wewd

imported post

oc4ever wrote:
I have read 629.6 several times. I am still having a problem understanding where it specifically excludes shotguns and long guns from the 1000 foot GFSZ unlocked. Most of the law talks about "firearms". All of the LEO training bulletins just say guns/firearms as a violation of 629.6.

This is another law that is clear as mud. I think a LEO after reading the law is going to have an easy time arresting you for cruising by a school zone with a shotgun, loaded or not.

626.9 (c)(2) makes exemptions to the law. The first is for unloaded, cased and locked handguns, revolvers, and other firearms able to be concealed on the person such as an AOW shotgun. The second paragraph exempts long guns, and does not specify that they must be locked up. The only point of contention is that it says "transportation" and not "carry" and does not define transportation.

bigtoe416

imported post

+1 to wewd. It doesn't say you can't carry a rifle/shotgun through a school zone. But then it doesn't say you can (unless you're transporting it). In my book, that means if I'm going somewhere with a rifle or shotgun, I can go through school zones without worry (even if it is on my person). I might read up on the law a bit more if I wanted to go stand outside a school with a shotgun though, or walk around one, or do yoga next to one, etc.

oc4ever

imported post

My point is if the LEO's are reading their training bulletins,they just mostly talk about firearms regarding GFSZ, and are not specific about concealed versus shotguns, loaded versus unloaded. I am going to start a new post out of this horse thread to get some others input. By the way Norco is a nice place if you like the horseriding lifestyle.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

wewd wrote:
This section does not prohibit or limit the otherwise lawful transportation of any other firearm, other than a pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed on the person, in accordance with state law.

People get hung up on the word "transportation". Put the rifle in a scabbard. It's not slung over your shoulder, so you're not "carrying" it, but you are "transporting" it.
Per the CA Court of Appeals in People v Overturf the definition of "carry" is "transport". Under current case law, these two terms are interchangeable in statute.

heliopolissolutions

imported post

CA_Libertarian wrote:
wewd wrote:

Per the CA Court of Appeals in People v Overturf the definition of "carry" is "transport". Under current case law, these two terms are interchangeable in statute.
Holy COW!