• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ban Airsoft and realistic airguns.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Yuncoolperson wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
uncoolperson wrote:
and wouldn't (assuming some teenagers could find a 6mm metal bb) a metal bb out of a softair gun designed to toss plastic .2 gram bb's a few hundred feet a second throw a metal bb (gotta be more that .2 grams [too lazy to math it up right now]) significatly slower?
6mm metal BBs are relatively easy to find.

Suspect that velocity would be in the 150-450 fps based on what I have read.

Yata hey
I meant in a worthwhile form for an airsoft gun
http://www.softairpro.com/

http://www.bbbullets.co.nz/whatbbs.php

Yata hey

uncoolperson

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Yuncoolperson wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
uncoolperson wrote:
and wouldn't (assuming some teenagers could find a 6mm metal bb) a metal bb out of a softair gun designed to toss plastic .2 gram bb's a few hundred feet a second throw a metal bb (gotta be more that .2 grams [too lazy to math it up right now]) significatly slower?
6mm metal BBs are relatively easy to find.

Suspect that velocity would be in the 150-450 fps based on what I have read.

Yata hey
I meant in a worthwhile form for an airsoft gun
http://www.softairpro.com/

http://www.bbbullets.co.nz/whatbbs.php

Yata hey
I stand corrected, though still not convinced of the accuracy of this story.

FMCDH

imported post

Yea, I agree with most here....banning anything because of the stupid actions of teenagers is just dumb. You cant stop dumb people from doing dumb things by passing dumb laws.

Would we next then ban paintball guns? Sling Shots? Rocks? Its already a crime to use any of these things irresponsibly as these kids did.

IDO thinkthat the purchase of any kind of weapon with "real to life cosmetic appearance" should be allowed only by adults 18 and over, if only to more clearly establish culpability on the parent/guardian when they are used ir-responsibly by their kids. It would also place the fault more directly on the parents laps if/when an officer involved shooting occurs.

You cant blame the police from taking every precaution even if it IS clearly a toy gun, because he/she has no way of knowing what kind of modifications have been done. (perfect example of that is using metal BBs instead of the intended plastic BBs)

As for why the police ran over the guns with their cars...the parents gave their consent from the sounds of the OT. Frankly, If my kids had done what these kids did, I would have given the police my permission to do the same thing as a good lesson to them.

I grew up with BB guns just like many here, both a rifle and a pistol. The rifle was powerful enough to place a BB through both sides of a steel barrel if pumped up high enough. Never shot a living thing with them but dogs from our yard, and that was only with my parents permission. I was taught responsibility with firearms starting with these guns.

These kids obviously hadn't been taught even rule 1, as evidenced by most their parents not even knowing the kids had the air-soft guns in the first place. Sounds like a parenting problem, not a gun problem.

David.Car

imported post

All I see here is an argument to ban something that is eerily similar to the arguments used to ban real guns...

Careful what you say, you will end up looking like a libi anti...

BAN THEM FOR THE CHILDREN! Everything for the Children! :cuss:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

uncoolperson wrote:

snip......... still not convinced of the accuracy of this story.
Which is precisely why I asked the following on a previous posting and still no response:

Link, cite, confirmation of this incident please.

How many officers were involved again?

What was the excuse given for tampering with evidence?

Yata hey

triehl27

imported post

Ok so I stand by most of what I said last night. Maybe a all out ban is not appropriate. But something needs to change.

3 on duty officers and one off duty officer on his way home responded. The original call was of 1 visible subject with a gun, but with another person could be heard. And that a window had been shot out. There was absolutely no warning that 8 armed subjects were going to emerge from the woodline.

The guns were destroyed after being photo graphed at the parents request since they are NOT actual firearms, as both a discipline and object lesson. I raised that wuestion when I was at the station today, and was told it was the same as breaking a stick in half that was used to hit another kid with. Although this time they were $200 dollars sticks. Most of them had saved up allowance or asked for early chismas money at least one had said he was using the money to buy family christmas presents.

All 8 confessed today to shooting at the houses on the street, and several more broken windows have been reported. Along with damage to parked cars. The kids range in age from 8 years old to 14 years old. All were dressed in black or dark blue with hoods, over their heads. I didn't know last night that they were that young.

TechnoWeenie

imported post

trofwa wrote:
All 8 confessed today to shooting at the houses on the street, and several more broken windows have been reported.  Along with damage to parked cars.  The kids range in age from 8 years old to 14 years old.  All were dressed in black or dark blue with hoods, over their heads.  I didn't know last night that they were that young.

Those are called TITs....

Thugs In Training...

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

trofwa wrote:
Ok so I stand by most of what I said last night. Maybe a all out ban is not appropriate. But something needs to change.

3 on duty officers and one off duty officer on his way home responded. The original call was of 1 visible subject with a gun, but with another person could be heard. And that a window had been shot out. There was absolutely no warning that 8 armed subjects were going to emerge from the woodline.

The guns were destroyed after being photo graphed at the parents request since they are NOT actual firearms, as both a discipline and object lesson. I raised that wuestion when I was at the station today, and was told it was the same as breaking a stick in half that was used to hit another kid with. Although this time they were $200 dollars sticks. Most of them had saved up allowance or asked for early chismas money at least one had said he was using the money to buy family christmas presents.

All 8 confessed today to shooting at the houses on the street, and several more broken windows have been reported. Along with damage to parked cars. The kids range in age from 8 years old to 14 years old. All were dressed in black or dark blue with hoods, over their heads. I didn't know last night that they were that young.
Things do have a way of looking different in the light of day.

Having not researched Washington's laws yet, I will nevertheless presume that there is something regarding shooting into an occupied dwelling on the books - normally a felony. Still can't believe that evidence would be destroyed, "at the parents request."
Definitely not the same as "breaking a stick", IMO.

Then there is the matter of 8-14 year old juveniles running around at 1:00 AM in the morning, destruction of private property and the possible felony charges.

I agree that something needs to be done, but not regarding new laws about airsoft guns. There are likely sufficient laws already broken that did not prevent this stupidity. Let's blame the ones responsible - the juveniles and their parents.

Would expect the juvenile authorities will get involved and that this may well be a very painful and expensive episode for the perpetrators and their families.

This must have made a heck of a splash on the local news - link?

Yata hey

FunkTrooper

imported post

I dunno this story still has the smell of fish to it.

Airsoft is a fun game that can be enjoyed with friends although usually you're not shooting metal BBs. No one bothered to wonder why there were no sounds of gunshots?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

FunkTrooper wrote:
I dunno this story still has the smell of fish to it.

Airsoft is a fun game that can be enjoyed with friends although usually you're not shooting metal BBs. No one bothered to wonder why there were no sounds of gunshots?
More than one unanswered question - but no substantiated data yet.

Yata ehy

Vandal

imported post

I had a long post but it basically echoed what others had said.

OP, did you think before posting? What you are calling for is ludicrous. The banning and shuttering of a multimillion dollar, international industry. There is no need to ban airsoft. Those kids parents need to be taken to task for being so irresponsible for letting their kids do what they were doing. yes, lets ban something for the safety of the kids. Guns kill kids, we should ban those too. :quirky

Also, there is so much wrong with your story I don't know where to begin. From the paranoid girl, you getting to go play cop with the cops and aiming your gun at the kids, laser on target means gun on target and nothing to back it up. Real AKs and ARs make a lot of noise, your first clue should have been the lack of the sounds of gun fire, even airsoft guns make a good bit of noise and the sound of electric motors is very identifiable.

Can you provide some kind of source, cite, or LE crime log, most agencies in the 21st Century have them online. Give us some kind of proof behind this story, I have spent the last 20-30 minutes looking for something related to this in King County and have found....nothing.

antispam540

imported post

trofwa wrote:
But I see No need for Truly realistic AK's and AR'15 that are blacked or realistically painted that moronic teens can buy.

I think getting rid of the Black realistic airsoft and airguns might save a kid's life somewhere.

What possible reasonable reason is there for exact copies to be able to be put into the hands of homonial driven teens? Is a Orange Airsoft gun that much less fun to shoot?
This is a terrifying statement, especially coming from one of our own. How many times have people said "I see no need to carry around a gun" or "getting rid of 'assault' weapons might save a lot of peoples' lives"?

Just because you see no reason for something doesn't mean it should be illegal. Just because the abrogation of certain freedoms may, in some cases, indirectly result in lives saved doesn't mean those abrogations are conscionable in a free society.

If those kids were shooting metal BBs at personal property with illegally modified airsoft guns at night with ninja suits on, I think the airsoft guns are the least important part of this equation. Acting like that will get those kids killed, airsoft guns or no airsoft guns. It's about the actions you take, not the tools you use.

amzbrady

imported post

I would think all the kids would have been hauled in and reports done and then the parents would have had to come to the station to pick them up. Also there is no way a cop would smash the airsoft guns by running them over.Dont understand why a woman would leave the safety of her home that no one is trying to get into, and not call the cops herself, since you say she saw them waving guns around. Dont see how this missed the media frenzy.

OrangeIsTrouble

imported post

If two middle school kids with one pellet gun holding up a gas station and pussying out and stealing a couple candy bars got on the news, this should have made front page. Maybe the OP is just screwing with you guys to collect information to make you look bad somehow.

*tin foil hat on*

FMCDH

imported post

Poosharker wrote:
If two middle school kids with one pellet gun holding up a gas station and pussying out and stealing a couple candy bars got on the news, this should have made front page. Maybe the OP is just screwing with you guys to collect information to make you look bad somehow.

*tin foil hat on*
Not sure what information you think that he thinks he may be collecting that hasn't been posted about a thousand other times on this forum. :uhoh:

Its not like the scenario being true or false changes my opinion one bit. ;)

Who knows, maybe with all the sensationalism that the media has been pushing about as news lately just drowns out the need to report kids denting cars and breaking windows with BB guns.

"No one died!? Whats to report? Kids being stupid kids and parents being bad parents? Please, that's so 80s!" :quirky

Washintonian_For_Liberty

imported post

Ban all guns because gang members kill people with guns!!!

Makes as much sense as what the original poster was suggesting... what we need is all guns to be realistic... and gun ownership allowable for anyone at any age 14 and older.Kids should be able to ownany gun theywant (of course with parents permission until 18)... but you have to take classes in High school just like drivers ed. Teach kids responsibility and take them all out hunting... in order to pass your gun license test, you need to kill and dress an animal as well as perform all safety and cleaning exercises. Any kids caught fooling around with weapons like they were toys and they lose their right until 18 years old when they have to take all the tests again.

AirSoft with realistic guns is important, and should be taught to the kids as well.