• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Am I missing it???

amzbrady

imported post

I thought there was a map for states that reciprocate our CPL. I dont see it there. I do however see an unlicensed Travelers' Map, that show our state as no unlicensed carry??? If someone has the link that show what states recognise our CPL, please foward the link.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

http://www.atg.wa.gov/page.aspx?id=7772

Washington concealed pistol licenses will be recognized in the following states, and concealed weapons licenses issued in the listed states will be recognized in Washington State, so long as the handgun is carried in accordance with Washington law.
Arkansas
Louisiana
Michigan
Mississippi
Missouri
North Carolina
Ohio
Oklahoma
Utah

Washington CPL accepted in the following states

AK*, AR, AZ, ID, IN, KY, LA, MI, MS, MT, MO, NC, OH, OK, SD, TN, TX, UT, VA, VT*,
(* Vermont (VT) & Alaska (AK). Anyone who can legally own a firearm can
carry it concealed. No Permit/license is required.)

BobR

imported post

They should honor our CPL

That is an interesting statement. Why should any state be required to honor any other states concealed carry license, that is other than the fact of the 2A?

As it stands the 2A does not have incorporation to the states so each state can do whatever it wants in regards to firearms, pretty much.

You can always take a trip down to Oregon and apply for a concealed carry license so you can be legal there. I don't think a concealed license is required to OC there, you just have to know the local laws I believe. I never go to OR so I am not up to speed on all of the nuances of OC and CC in OR.

bob

David.Car

imported post

The reciprical nature of CPLs is why you see the Utah concealed carry course being offered everywhere. Utah is accepted in the largest number of states, so anyone who travels frequently should look into one.

Even then, Oregon still doesn't accept the Utah one either... Dicks :p

amlevin

imported post

One of the key parts of Washington's "Reciprocity Law" is that the other State grant "Reciprocity" to WA CPL holders in order to recognize their licenses here. WA CPL's are recognized in many other states even though we don't recognize THEIR licenses, merely because missing clause in their law(s).

If 2A is incorporated to the States, and it could be if the McDonald case is decided favorably, it will probably only strike down the prohibitions on gun ownership that exist in some States or Cities. The Court will probably still allow "reasonable regulation" such as Carry Permits which could still be restricted to residency in the State.

David.Car

imported post

Ajetpilot wrote:
David.Car wrote:
Utah is accepted in the largest number of states, so anyone who travels frequently should look into one.

Does anyone know why this is true? What is different about Utah's license that makes it more respected and acceptedthan other state's licenses?
It has to do with the fact that Utah accepts any CPL from any state.

PoppaGary

imported post

BobR wrote:

That is an interesting statement. Why should any state be required to honor any other states concealed carry license, that is other than the fact of the 2A?

As it stands the 2A does not have incorporation to the states so each state can do whatever it wants in regards to firearms, pretty much.

You can always take a trip down to Oregon and apply for a concealed carry license so you can be legal there. I don't think a concealed license is required to OC there, you just have to know the local laws I believe. I never go to OR so I am not up to speed on all of the nuances of OC and CC in OR.

bob
Even besides the fact of the 2A AND it not being incorporated to the states, how about this:

The first section of the fourth article of the Constitution contains the "full faith and credit clause." See U.S. Const. art. IV, § 1. This clause provides that each state must recognize the public acts (laws), records, and judicial proceeding of the other states. The Fourth Article also guarantees that a citizen of a state be entitled to the "privileges and immunities" in every other state. See U.S. Const. art. IV, § 2.

I don't need a separate driver'slicense for several or all states, nor a new marriage license, insurance with a company in that state, birth certificate, etc...why should I need a separate carry permit, ESPECIALLY for a God given right that is stated in the Bill of Rights?

It is simply unconstitutional, (most) everyone knows it and until someone with the "right case", the "right" lawyer, deep pockets waiting for the correct make-up of the Supreme Court, etc it will NEVER be recognized. Friggin' BS.

Gary

Tawnos

imported post

David.Car wrote:
Ajetpilot wrote:
David.Car wrote:
Utah is accepted in the largest number of states, so anyone who travels frequently should look into one.

Does anyone know why this is true? What is different about Utah's license that makes it more respected and acceptedthan other state's licenses?
It has to do with the fact that Utah accepts any CPL from any state.
And they require training. Those two things, combined, make it conform to the largest number of other states.

PavePusher

imported post

BobR wrote:

bob

ahem... Article IV... ahem.

Edit: Aaaaargh, PappaGary beat me...

heresolong

imported post

BobR wrote:
I don't think a concealed license is required to OC there, you just have to know the local laws I believe. I never go to OR so I am not up to speed on all of the nuances of OC and CC in OR.

bob
Correct. Oregon is an unrestricted open carry state. My friend went down on vacation with his 8 year old on his motorcycle and carried in the state parks and in the aquarium. He was hassled by park rangers and by aquarium staff. After suggesting they contact their superiors (they did) they apologized and apparently the state park system sent around a training bulletin to tell their rangers to leave people alone.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Which I have been wondering for awhile how do we get Washington to legislate to accept all other states concealed. The Thune ammendment, stepped on state powers (see I didn't say rights...LOL) So we should lobby our states to accept CPL from all other states.