• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Am I missing it???

amzbrady

imported post

amlevin wrote:
Tawnos wrote:
And they require training. Those two things, combined, make it conform to the largest number of other states.
Another reason Washington's CPL is not honored in most States.
All laws should be the same across the board, Find out which state has teh best laws and apply them to all.

kparker

imported post

find out which state has the best

In the carry-permit arena? Easy, it's Alaska: they don't require a permit for concealed carry, but do have a mechanism to issue a permit if you need one for some reason (e.g. reciprocity.)

Washington is second-best, as we have a good shall-issue system and no training requirement. Training is a great thing, and I would never advocate that anyone carry w/o some training, but consider: do we have a higher rate of accidents or unwarranted shootings by permit holders than those places that do have training requirements?

No we do not. I would submit, then, that the burden of proof should be on those who want to further burden our freedom of self-defense, to show that such a burden is both necessary and helpful, before being allowed to add such restrictions.

heresolong

imported post

amzbrady wrote:
We need Tim Eyman to join us.
Problem is that we would probably lose that initiative. One reason that no state has ever put motorcycle helmet laws on the ballot is that the average person who doesn't ride a motorcycle thinks that they are dangerous and that everyone should be mandated to wear a helmet. If you were to put CC reciprocity on the ballot, you would get millions of dollars being spent by out of state anti-gun groups to point out how dangerous it would be to have people from other states carrying pistols. The average joe who doesn't carry can be swayed by these arguments and you have no chance to refute them unless you also have lots of money.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

heresolong wrote:
amzbrady wrote:
Problem is that we would probably lose that initiative. One reason that no state has ever put motorcycle helmet laws on the ballot is that the average person who doesn't ride a motorcycle thinks that they are dangerous and that everyone should be mandated to wear a helmet. If you were to put CC reciprocity on the ballot, you would get millions of dollars being spent by out of state anti-gun groups to point out how dangerous it would be to have people from other states carrying pistols. The average joe who doesn't carry can be swayed by these arguments and you have no chance to refute them unless you also have lots of money.
So true.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

heresolong wrote:
amzbrady wrote:
So true.

Lammo

imported post

Tawnos wrote:
David.Car wrote:
Ajetpilot wrote:
David.Car wrote:
Utah is accepted in the largest number of states, so anyone who travels frequently should look into one.

Does anyone know why this is true? What is different about Utah's license that makes it more respected and acceptedthan other state's licenses?
It has to do with the fact that Utah accepts any CPL from any state.
And they require training. Those two things, combined, make it conform to the largest number of other states.

[align=left]Also, they require proof of"good character" and their listof disqualifying offenses includes crimes involving "moral turpitude" which makes it harder to qualify. See Utah Criminal Code §53-5-704(2) here: http://www.le.utah.gov/UtahCode/getCodeSection?code=53-5-704[/align]
[align=left]Being a person of good character, I'm waiting for my Utah permit to arrive in the mail any day now.

[/align]

David.Car

imported post

Commodore76 wrote:
Moral turpitude? Isn't that why Beullah Ballbreaker fired Lassie in Porky's?

Sorry for being off topic. Those words instantly reminded me of that.
porkys1.jpg