• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Macomb Mall-Roseville

sprinklerguy28

imported post

Tonight I was doing some holiday shopping at Macomb Mall in Roseville. I was there for about an hour when I was approached by 3 security guards. The one with a "supervisor name tag" told me he had received complaints about me carrying my gun and that I was in violation of Michigan and Federal laws. I responded by explaing open carry is 100% legal and attempted to hand him and his 2 coworkers pamphlets I carry on me from Michigan Open Carry's website. He informed me he was also a LEO and didn't need any information as he was well aware of the laws and that I was breaking them. I stated I had not seen any signs on the entry doors to the mall of them having any policy restricting my right to carry. I asked if management was available and was told know they were not. He then threatened to call the police to report that I was causing a disturbance. I stated that in know way was I disturbing anyone. I was then instructed if I wanted to continue shopping to conceal my gun. I informed them I do not have a concealed pistol license and by doing so I would be violating the law. He said its ok because he was the supervisor in charge of the property and he can give me permission to do so. I politely stated I would not conceal it and was then told to leave the property. Having been asked to leave I asked for his name and contact information to the mall, and immediately left the property. I have emailed the management requesting a conversation to discuss what happened. If I receive a response I will continue to update. If I receive no response I will be going to the management's office and attempt to speak with them face to face.

sprinklerguy28

imported post

I was able to meet with Brian the General Manager of Macomb Mall today. I informed him of what happened last night as I mentioned in my original post. Brian stated that they did not allow ANY forms of lawful carry in the mall. His reason was that they did not want anyone to quote " go nuts and start shooting up the place ". He and I then walked to one of the side entrances of the mall which very few use and pointed to a sign 20' off to the side of the doors which is not visible when entering. The sign stated unacceptable shopping behavior not allowed in the mall. Down towards the bottom of the list in small print was "Possession of firearms even if lawfully carried, except for law enforcement". He also stated that signs like this will be placed at all entrances but will be kept off to the sides because it visually doesn't look right being placed on the doors. I asked if he honestly thought a criminal who was intent on breaking the law would care what the sign read. I also asked if he realized that by posting those rules the only people he would be keeping out is myself as well as many other law abiding citizens. He answered by saying personally he agrees with me but "policy is policy". I asked if he would be willing to arrange a meeting with his corporate supervisors to discuss further the impact this has on mall businesses, and patrons. He said that was not a possible. WE also spoke about the security guard and his behavior of impersonating a police officer and asking me to commit a felony. He apologized for his employees behavior and said that it will be addressed. Upon realizing that their was nothing further that would persuade him to allow for further discussion of the issue I thanked him for his time, shook his hand, and politely informed I will no longer be shopping at his mall, and that I will be informing others of the mall's policy and asking for everyone's support in shopping elsewhere. He thanked me for bringing my concerns to him and once again stated personally he understands my position. My only hope is those of you reading this will take the time to call or write Brain at Macomb Mall and the other businesses that due to the mall's policies we will spend our money elsewhere. This is our only way of getting our message out. Big business listens to one thing and one thing only, the dollar and those who spend it. Here is the malls web address which has a contact section to email management, their phone number and mailing address.

Macomb Mall
32233 South Gratiot Avenue
Roseville, MI 48066-1127
(586) 293-7800
http://www.shopmacombmall.com

sprinklerguy28

imported post

Thanks T Vance for suggesting a new thread. I also posted on migunowners in both the open carry and concealed carry as this effects everyone. Overall a great response.

Haman J.T.

imported post

I let them have it! Civily of course!I told them I would no longer go there due to the dangerous conditions of being defenseless and would tell family and fellow UAW workers!I asked them to rethink their policy.

Michigander

imported post

I applaud your efforts, but I will not be writing him.

I do not want to be seen as a rude guy who tells people off for not letting me have my way. I am fully willing to leave them alone and let them enjoy their private property rights.

I am much more eager to give my money to businesses I like that want it, than to try to convince someone who doesn't respect me or my safety that they should allow me to shop there.

After a confirmation has been made that OC is not allowed by policy, and that you'll be avoiding the place like herpes, I feel that all that is left to do is inform everyone you can that they should boycott the place.

It's a freeish market, and if enough people want to shop at a make shift CEZ to keep it in business, good for them.

Not that I'm trying to bad mouth or even discourage anyone who is writing them, it's just my personal take on it.

RabbiVJ

Campaign Veteran
imported post

what abt somerset, since i live in that area, i just wanna be sure...btw my cpl came today...a good thing to a crappy day (spent 700 on car repairs...NOT FUN!)

SpringerXDacp

imported post

RabbiVJ wrote:
what abt somerset, since i live in that area, i just wanna be sure...btw my cpl came today...a good thing to a crappy day (spent 700 on car repairs...NOT FUN!)
Congrats Rabbi...The CPL I mean. :)

mel5051

imported post

Just as a general announcement:

Any Taubman mall allows the carrying of concealed firearms. At the time I did not look to see if that also pertained to Open Carry.

Mel

sprinklerguy28

imported post

This letter is posted under the OC Info thread

Great Lakes Crossings Mall Auburn Hills:

Mr. Knarre, regional VP at Taubman (owner/manager of Great Lakes Crossing Mall) called yesterday (4/17/2009)to inform me of his followup. OC is permitted in GLC. My email to him recapping the phone call:

To:xxx@taubman.com>
Sent: Saturday, April 18, 2009
Subject: Re: Taubman Policy--Lawful Firearms Carry in Michigan Malls

Mr. Knarre,

Thank you for yourfollowup call to me this afternooninforming me ofdiscussions with your legal staff, GLC security, and Auburn Hills police and conclusions on the below matters. The following are the key points as I understand them:

--The GLC security director (Jim)stateshe did not issue a ban on me carrying a visible firearm in GLC. My belief aboutsuch a ban,based onwhat theAuburn Hills police were saying to me thatGLC securitywas saying to them, is a misunderstanding. No such ban was issued, so none needs to be rescinded.

--Lawful carry of concealed or visible firearms is permittedat GLC.

--GLC security has discretion on how to handle guest complaints, if they arise.

--This subjecthas been discussed with the Auburn Hills police officers who are regularly atthe mall.

JeffSayers

Do you really wanna go there with me?, Michigan, U
imported post

Very interesting. I have inadvertantly broken their rules many times both by CCing and OCing; if this is how they feel why the hell would they hide it?I spend alot of money at Babies R Us (an anchor store) and will certainly make them aware that the mall's management is going to make them lose my business.

NHCGRPR45

imported post

i was just told to leave macomb mall, rudely by the way and since i just found this posting i thought i would include my email to the mall.

was recently informed that you have a "No legal carry of firearms" policy. and i was wondering why you would invite only criminals into your buildings? i have served in the US Army, have a concealed pitol license, have had extensive training in both the Military, and private sector that far exceeds most police officers. so i was wondering if this is indeed your policy support criminals, and trample all over the rights of lawful people? if so you can count on me to never come to your mall and tell everyone of my friends, post on all message boards, tell anyone who mentions your mall to not go there. so if you could clarify if you support only criminal behavior at your mall, or if i have somehow been misinformed that would be helpful.
thank you for your time.

it was my first time OC there, and figured it would not be a problem since i went there all the time when jeepers was there, i have a daughter, anyway i was acosted by 4 security personel and ordered to leave very rude behavior. one even went so far as to reach for my arm. i suppose to lead me out, a very dirty look and he backed off, but still way to far for rent a cops! my mom had my daughter at sears, and i said that was they way i was going to leave and went toward that store, one of them said i had to leave by the closest exit, i refused and continued on my way. they follwed me the whole way, i collected my mom and daughter and left. wish i had read this post first! well have a great day everyone!

and hiya sprinklerguy we marched in the parade monday and i had no idea about this thread till i read it. have a great day everyone!

Recoil88

imported post

I was at macomb mall a couple of weeks ago i was cc'ing when i happened upon a sign and read it. It said you cannot legally carry a firearm in the mall except for leo's. I have not been back nor will i go back there again i was going to oc there but not anymore.

Bronson

imported post

Recoil88 wrote:
I was at macomb mall a couple of weeks ago i was cc'ing when i happened upon a sign and read it. It said you cannot legally carry a firearm in the mall except for leo's. I have not been back nor will i go back there again i was going to oc there but not anymore.

Have you told them that? If you choose to not patronize an establishmentdue to their policies but then do notlet them know you will not use their services,how will they know their policy is costing them business? I would suggest you draft a letter to the mall management and also include each and every store manager. The mall makes its money from the stores, not from you so direct pressure on them from the stores who are losing your money may be more effective than pressure coming from you.

Bronson