Thread: Post Office in Hardware Store Question

Post imported post

I had to go to the Post office at Earls Hardware store today in Fredericksburg for a work related mailing. It was my first time there and I noticed there was nothing separating the post office from the store. It was just a window on one end of the store. Is it legal to OC or CC in a situation like this? I know how it works for a normal Post office on its own land but not so sure about this. As I recall there was a woman stabbed to death a few years back at this same location.

Post imported post

As long as you don't go behind the window, you're not "in" the Post Office.
    "If I know that I am headed for a fight, I want something larger with more power, preferably crew-served.
    However, like most of us, as I go through my daily life, I carry something a bit more compact, with a lot less power."
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

Remington 1911 R1 (Back to Basics)
    SERPA retention or concealed...

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
    (Borrowed from "The Perfect Day" by LTC Dave Grossman)

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

The postal facility in Earls is not a real PO. It's a Contract Post Unit. To me, carry at the Earl's CPU is a private property matter since "Supplier’s space cannot be owned or leased by the U.S. Postal Service" (as show on the above link).
    ---

Post imported post

kennys wrote:
    I had to go to the Post office at Earls Hardware store today in Fredericksburg for a work related mailing. It was my first time there and I noticed there was nothing separating the post office from the store. It was just a window on one end of the store. Is it legal to OC or CC in a situation like this? I know how it works for a normal Post office on its own land but not so sure about this. As I recall there was a woman stabbed to death a few years back at this same location.
    Yep: http://fredericksburg.com/News/FLS/2...9032005/127002

TFred

Post imported post

rlh2005 wrote:
    The postal facility in Earls is not a real PO. It's a Contract Post Unit. To me, carry at the Earl's CPU is a private property matter since "Supplier’s space cannot be owned or leased by the U.S. Postal Service" (as show on the above link).
    I thought that was the case but wanted tobe sure. If not I figure I was covered any way under the following as it was not posted.
    §930. Possession of firearms and dangerous weapons in Federal facilities
    (h) Notice of the provisions of subsections (a) and (b) shall be posted conspicuously at each public entrance to each Federal facility, and notice of subsection (e) shall be posted conspicuously at each public entrance to each Federal court facility, and no person shall be convicted of an offense under subsection (a) or (e) with respect to a Federal facility if such notice is not so posted at such facility, unless such person had actual notice of subsection (a) or (e), as the case may be.

Post imported post

It's not a "federal facility". It's a concession.
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

By the way, nothing I say on this website as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice, merely personal opinion. Everyone having a question regarding the application of law to the facts of their situation should seek the advice of an attorney competent in the subject matter of the issues presented and licensed to practice in the relevant state.

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

I would also like to ask a question about post offices. This is vaguely similar to the OP's question but more so about his concern.

Not far from me is a post office at the end of a small line of businesses (perhaps four in all) which all share the same physical building but not the same interior space, However, they all share the same parking lot and sidewalk, both of which could be said to be "common".. there are no lines or structures separating the parking lot and sidewalk. Outside of the post office is a collection box where I frequently drop of my outgoing mail.

As long as I do not enter the post office proper, may I carry in the parking lot, on the sidewalk, and to the collection box (which is on the sidewalk)?

In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Post imported post

I can't remember where it is but somewhere there is a business called 'Gone Postal' and it is a GUN STORE / PRIVATE POST OFFICE.
    illegal ≠ immoral legal ≠ moral
    [SIZE=1]"I never submitted the whole system of my opinions to the creed of any party of men whatever in religion, in philosophy, in politics, or in anything else where I was capable of thinking for myself. "Such an addiction is the last degradation of a free and moral agent." - Thomas Jefferson
    G19 Gen 4; Bersa Thunder 380; Sig Sauer P238; Kel-Tec su-16c