• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Post Office in Hardware Store Question

kennys

imported post

I had to go to the Post office at Earls Hardware store today in Fredericksburg for a work related mailing. It was my first time there and I noticed there was nothing separating the post office from the store. It was just a window on one end of the store. Is it legal to OC or CC in a situation like this? I know how it works for a normal Post office on its own land but not so sure about this. As I recall there was a woman stabbed to death a few years back at this same location.

TFred

imported post

kennys wrote:
I had to go to the Post office at Earls Hardware store today in Fredericksburg for a work related mailing. It was my first time there and I noticed there was nothing separating the post office from the store. It was just a window on one end of the store. Is it legal to OC or CC in a situation like this? I know how it works for a normal Post office on its own land but not so sure about this. As I recall there was a woman stabbed to death a few years back at this same location.
Yep: http://fredericksburg.com/News/FLS/2005/092005/09032005/127002

TFred

kennys

imported post

rlh2005 wrote:
The postal facility in Earls is not a real PO. It's a Contract Post Unit. To me, carry at the Earl's CPU is a private property matter since "Supplier’s space cannot be owned or leased by the U.S. Postal Service" (as show on the above link).
I thought that was the case but wanted tobe sure. If not I figure I was covered any way under the following as it was not posted.
§930. Possession of firearms and dangerous weapons in Federal facilities
(h) Notice of the provisions of subsections (a) and (b) shall be posted conspicuously at each public entrance to each Federal facility, and notice of subsection (e) shall be posted conspicuously at each public entrance to each Federal court facility, and no person shall be convicted of an offense under subsection (a) or (e) with respect to a Federal facility if such notice is not so posted at such facility, unless such person had actual notice of subsection (a) or (e), as the case may be.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

I would also like to ask a question about post offices. This is vaguely similar to the OP's question but more so about his concern.

Not far from me is a post office at the end of a small line of businesses (perhaps four in all) which all share the same physical building but not the same interior space, However, they all share the same parking lot and sidewalk, both of which could be said to be "common".. there are no lines or structures separating the parking lot and sidewalk. Outside of the post office is a collection box where I frequently drop of my outgoing mail.

As long as I do not enter the post office proper, may I carry in the parking lot, on the sidewalk, and to the collection box (which is on the sidewalk)?