• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Worried about OCing

Eagle-Six

imported post

I just bought my first handgun, a Glock 23 .40. Rerally nice. Was looking into CC but kind of costly at the moment right before christmas. I have been reading about OC and it sounds like a good idea and something I have been wanting to do so I can defend my self, my family, and my fellow americans if the needed arises. I'm kinda worried about what LEO's or other people can do to me for it. I know it's my right to do so, but not everyone knows it. Any advice to put my mind at ease and to commence to OC? This is my first post by the way, and thanks for any help.

langzaiguy

imported post

Quite honestly, I'm still nervous at times. I suppose a lot of it is in your attitude. If you act natural and unsuspicious, it really won't be made that big of a deal.

If you're worried about legal repercussions, you can certainly take comfort in knowing your well within your rights--so make sure you are familiar with these rights and you're able to articulate them. Sometimes I'll carry the OC pamphlet or my own print out of the various KRSs. Carry on!

Eagle-Six

imported post

Thanks for the reply. Now if I can just get my wife to understand why I want to. She thinks its silly and says she wouldnt want to go out with me if I was OC.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Would your wife have a problem with you CC'ing?

If not, tell her that criminals are less likely to target someone they know is armed (OC) than some one they don't know is armed (CC).

Packer fan

imported post

Just to say welcome. I too am new and have never OC do to the fact thatI live in Ar and OC is illegal. I am still waiting for my CCP. I sent my wife to get her CCP 1st.

My wife trulysaw the need to CC in Ar do to last years ice storm that hit the area. She watched as retirees fought for supplies in a store and my children stood with there moths wide open thinking how can people act that way? I live in a "quiet" town too.

I insist that my wife carry every where she goes. At first she was nerves but she got use to it. Now, she would much rather OC do to the fact she is a woman, and all the beautiful body parts God created on women, hinder comfortable CC. ;):DBut, again laws here in Ar.

Anyway I have two sisters that live in that area of Ky and she will be OC there whenwevisit if it is legal for her to do so.

Just askyour wifethis: Why do weneed locks on our doors?

Anw: A lock on a door only keeps honest people honest and the sight of a gun does the same.

Sorry I can't give you any real experience but I will say this; this has been a great sight and the people here, though theymay disagree at times, for the most part have been very knowledgeable. Welcome.
:celebrate

Hellbilly

imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:

If not, tell her that criminals are less likely to target someone they know is armed (OC) than some one they don't know is armed (CC).
A true predator will engage a person they know to be armed with a smile on their face. Firearm may make a part time 2nd rate wanna be criminal think twice but the true predator will only know who to take out first.

M

McX

imported post

Agreed! In my experience, the predator didn't leave the area, he just kept his distance from me, and patiently waited for a change in circumstance, or condition. This kind is particularly dangerous, they know what limits you have on you, legal and otherwise. They, on the other hand, have none!

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Hellbilly wrote:
Task Force 16 wrote:

A true predator will engage a person they know to be armed with a smile on their face. Firearm may make a part time 2nd rate wanna be criminal think twice but the true predator will only know who to take out first.

I understand that. You'll note that I said BG's are "less likely" to attack someone they know is armed. I didn't say that it would never happen. There is still that minority of BG's that are mentally challenged or psychologicallyunstable that will still try to victemize you.

Carrying a gun (OC or CC) is not a gauarntee that you won't be victemized. It only means you have a tool to fight back with. OC tends to lessen the odds that you will be attacked.

mike m

imported post

Hello Brother! I have been O.C. for many years around west Ky. we"ll Paducah actually any time u would like to get together your wife me and mine kids too if you have them , we can O.C. and eat till our hearts content.i HAVE o.c. in almost all eating places in paducah , if u would like i can go over any Q. you might have.Let me know I'll check back in a couple of days and maybe we can get together.It's good to have someone closer , most members on here are farther east of us. Great to have you aboard!!

GROGERS

imported post

I open carry in the Hopkions County / Madisonville area daily, as well as Hopkinsville very frequently. I have been asked if I was LE once in a small diner in Nortonville. Most people including LE dont act as if they even notice, other than that one instance. Welcome!

mike m

imported post

good deal eagle six just keep your head and you"ll be alright.all places conected at the mall are off limits to oc if seen LEO will be called, the man that ownes the mall property has informed paducah police firearms are off limits on the property. i had a eal bad day there one day. In othe words found out the hard way. they also dont post any entrance leo said i should just know, such bull shit!! had words for about 30 min. and all he could do was ask me to put gun in car if still going to shop.

klloyd

Madisonville, Mortons Gap KY(Western Ky), ,
imported post

GROGERS wrote:
I open carry in the Hopkions County / Madisonville area daily, as well as Hopkinsville very frequently. I have been asked if I was LE once in a small diner in Nortonville. Most people including LE dont act as if they even notice, other than that one instance. Welcome!
Hello Grogers! I am in that area quite often, and I OC in madisonville, and Mortons Gap and surrounding areas... I say you guys over there need to find a good OC friendly place to do a lunch or something, I'll come!

Sorry, didnt meant to jump the thread....

klloyd

Madisonville, Mortons Gap KY(Western Ky), ,
imported post

"Carrying a gun (OC or CC) is not a gauarntee that you won't be victemized. It only means you have a tool to fight back with. OC tends to lessen the odds that you will be attacked."

Thats why I carry 2! One OC, one CC, so if there is an altercation that I cant handle, and I am disarmed, I STILL have one to fire back with!

Packer fan

imported post

klloyd wrote:
GROGERS wrote:
I open carry in the Hopkions County / Madisonville area daily, as well as Hopkinsville very frequently.  I have been asked if I was LE once in a small diner in Nortonville.  Most people including LE dont act as if they even notice, other than that one instance.  Welcome!
Hello Grogers! I am in that area quite often, and I OC in madisonville, and Mortons Gap and surrounding areas... I say you guys over there need to find a good OC friendly place to do a lunch or something, I'll come!

Sorry, didnt meant to jump the thread....

If you all have an OC meet give me advance notice I too would like would like to attend; again, I have family over there I would like to introduce them to OC. Mon or Tues would work best for me LoL.