• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Georgia Licensee Visiting Ohio

inkyvette

imported post

OC is fairly liberal down here in Georgia - only took 10 days to get my concealed carry license-but I'm making my first trip to Ohioas a firearms owner. I have a Georgia CC and a completely new attitude about owning and carrying firearms and part of that is that I do not want to travel anywhere without a pistol and a rifle as well. My only actual carrying experience was many years ago when I was stationed at NAS Moffett Field and travelled to a range in the Santa Cruz hills on occasion. Back then I could carry my rifle, unloaded, in the back of my hatchback, as long as it was unloaded and visible. So since I'm coming up at Christmas time, I need to get up to speed at just what the "rules" are.

I don't have an Ohio license, but I will be visiting my sister two or three times a year, so some questions.

1. Being a Georgia resident, is it possible for an out-of-stater to get a CC permit?

2. How long will it take to do it long distance?

3. Do I have to have a license to drive through the state?

4. Without a carry permit, are firearms even allowed in the car?

5. If allowed, what are the requirements with respect to loaded? ammo separate somehow? separate enough so that I would be riddled with bullets before I could even respond to an attack? :banghead:

6. Can I apply when I'm up there in about a week?

7. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Deanimator

imported post

inkyvette wrote:
OC is fairly liberal down here in Georgia - only took 10 days to get my concealed carry license-but I'm making my first trip to Ohioas a firearms owner. I have a Georgia CC and a completely new attitude about owning and carrying firearms and part of that is that I do not want to travel anywhere without a pistol and a rifle as well. My only actual carrying experience was many years ago when I was stationed at NAS Moffett Field and travelled to a range in the Santa Cruz hills on occasion. Back then I could carry my rifle, unloaded, in the back of my hatchback, as long as it was unloaded and visible. So since I'm coming up at Christmas time, I need to get up to speed at just what the "rules" are.

I don't have an Ohio license, but I will be visiting my sister two or three times a year, so some questions.

1. Being a Georgia resident, is it possible for an out-of-stater to get a CC permit?

2. How long will it take to do it long distance?

3. Do I have to have a license to drive through the state?

4. Without a carry permit, are firearms even allowed in the car?

5. If allowed, what are the requirements with respect to loaded? ammo separate somehow? separate enough so that I would be riddled with bullets before I could even respond to an attack? :banghead:

6. Can I apply when I'm up there in about a week?

7. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
1. I used to live in Berea. It's a nice town. Go to the Oreole Cafe on Rt 237 near Bagley.

2. Ohio doesn't issue non-resident CHLs. You can go to the Ohio Attorney General's website to see which out of state CCW credentials are recognized. If you have a non-resident credential from a state recognized by Ohio, you're good even though you're not from that state.

3. Open carry is lawful without regard to state of residency. There are unfortunately, a few ignorant, stupid and or malicious cops who will harass or falsely arrest you for it.

4. If you don't have an Ohio CHL or recognized equivalent, you CANNOT have loaded firearms OR magazines or speedloaders in a vehicle. Unloaded cased firearms and ammunition separate from magazines or speedloaders in the trunk would be fine.

JimMullinsWVCDL

State Researcher
imported post

OH does not issue nonresident CHLs but does recognize nonresident licenses issued by the handful of states with which it has reciprocity that issue nonresident licenses. Your best option for carrying in OH is to get a Florida license. It will allow you to carry in DE, KS, NE, NM, ND, OH, VA, and WV--all of which have reciprocity with FL but not GA. FL accepts proof of military service as an option for fulfilling its requirement of demonstrating competence with a firearm. Although you won't have time to get a FL license before this trip, you should begin the process now so you will have it in the future.

inkyvette

imported post

I grew up in Berea, Berea High, then Baldwin Wallace College. My student derferment no longer in force, I joined my mates in the service. Joined the Navy (father in during WWII) to fly and stayed for 25 years. I did not appreciate Berea as a kid, but after I left, came back often and today see it as a very attractive place to live.

Georgia weather is great, but I still like 4 seasons. Too bad Ohio is so anal about firearms.

Thanks for your reply.

Inky

inkyvette

imported post

WVCDL wrote:
OH does not issue nonresident CHLs but does recognize nonresident licenses issued by the handful of states with which it has reciprocity that issue nonresident licenses. Your best option for carrying in OH is to get a Florida license. It will allow you to carry in DE, KS, NE, NM, ND, OH, VA, and WV--all of which have reciprocity with FL but not GA. FL accepts proof of military service as an option for fulfilling its requirement of demonstrating competence with a firearm. Although you won't have time to get a FL license before this trip, you should begin the process now so you will have it in the future.

That is extremely helpful. I will start the process. I am smack dab in the middle of Georgia, so I'll try first by the internet with your link or by mail if required. I wonder if they accept retired military...I understood that in Georgia it was active duty only. That makes sense, however, if we are talking current proficiency.

Thanks,

Inky

JimMullinsWVCDL

State Researcher
imported post

inkyvette wrote:
WVCDL wrote:

That is extremely helpful. I will start the process. I am smack dab in the middle of Georgia, so I'll try first by the internet with your link or by mail if required. I wonder if they accept retired military...I understood that in Georgia it was active duty only. That makes sense, however, if we are talking current proficiency.

Thanks,

Inky

You may apply in FL by mail. A copy of your DD-214 will fulfill FL's proof of training requirement (see answer to Question 6 on page 3 of the application packet).

The application packet (except the fingerprint card) is available here (you only need to print the last 2 pages, which are the application form itself -- you may print the rest only if you wish). If you want to apply by mail, you must order a fingerprint card online here (check the "additional fingerprint card" box and follow the online directions) and have a local law-enforcement agency take your fingerprints before you submit the application.

Application processing takes up to 90 days unless you apply in person at a regional office, for which you have to call and make an appointment in advance, in which case there is expedited processing that often takes only 2-3 weeks. However, applying by mail will probably be your best option since the closest regional office to you appears to be in Tallahassee. BTW, I encourage you to update your user profile to show your actual location.

Bustelo5%

imported post

DD214 Long Form is what you need,but to be honest if you dont want to spend the money just OC im from Hawaii and born in Texas and am not a resident of this aweful state and OC here everyday.

RT48

imported post

Bustelo5% wrote:
DD214 Long Form is what you need,but to be honest if you dont want to spend the money just OC im from Hawaii and born in Texas and am not a resident of this aweful state and OC here everyday.
Try OC in Texas and Hawaii and let us know how that goes.

Bustelo5%

imported post

pshhhht im not that dumb lol,holy crap in Hawaii you woujld beat my a bunch of Samoans prob the same in Texss lol.

Bustelo5%

imported post

Well I beg to differ im not a big fan of this state but the Cleveland/Akron area is nothing like south of youngstown and the country areas where people still farm for a living. But ohio is still the arm pit of america

inkyvette

imported post

I'm less interested in OC than I am in concealed. I've talked with a lot of very experienced guys in middle Georgia and they indicated that all OC does for them is put a target on your back. If there are bad guys up to mischief, theymight drop you just to start things off. Better to be a tad sneaky is what I hear and better protect your ability to remain covert until the situation starts to turn in your favor.

Inky