• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Okay, who just got pulled over and had to give their Ruger to a VBPD LEO?

bohdi

imported post

lol. Been listening to Fairfax county for the last three days at work. That website is awesome. Some of the things you hear broadcast on these calls is crazy.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

That's amazing. It's a shame they don't have all the frequencies for each area.

t11spanner

imported post

You guys are killing me! :lol:

So glad to turn you all on to that site.

There was a thread a while back here, about "what to" and "what not to do" during a traffic stop while carrying, and why dispatchers do or do not tell the officer about the concealed permits when they come up on the VCIN computer.

As you guys listen a little more, you will hear how some agencies address the concealed permits when doing a traffic stops.

Enjoy!

Carl

thnycav

imported post

Some agencies can run VCIN through their computers in their cars. There is also a program that will allow they to get into VCIN through a Blackberry.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

I used to be a scanner fanatic. I alway had one with me. I loved the old days when you could scan all the cell calls:lol:

If someone comes up with a reliable way to decrypt the mobile computer terminals, it would really be interesting.

t11spanner

imported post

You are correct!

A lot of police agencies use "MCT's" in there vehicles.

They may or may not contact a dispatcher when they initiate a stop.

They have almost all the access to VCIN and NCIC that the dispatchers do.

Depends on the agency. Also, some departments use it to send instant messages to the cruisers too.

Carl

t11spanner

imported post

peter nap wrote:
I used to be a scanner fanatic. I alway had one with me. I loved the old days when you could scan all the cell calls:lol:

If someone comes up with a reliable way to decrypt the mobile computer terminals, it would really be interesting.
Although it is against the law to listen to cell calls on a scanner, you would be surprised at how many cell frequencies are still active in analog (not digital or encrypted) and what you still can hear if you have an older scanner, but remember, it is against the law to listen to cell calls on a scanner....But not against the law to listen to a cell call when the person next to you is on his or hers, blabbing their conversation out loud!

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

t11spanner wrote:
peter nap wrote:

Although it is against the law to listen to cell calls on a scanner, you would be surprised at how many cell frequencies are still active in analog (not digital or encrypted) and what you still can hear if you have an older scanner, but remember, it is against the law to listen to cell calls on a scanner....But not against the law to listen to a cell call when the person next to you is on his or hers, blabbing their conversation out loud!
Even with the new ones, ost can be modded with a jumper or two....or so I've heard. As you said, it's illegal so I wouldn't think of doing it.:uhoh:

thnycav

imported post

The newer systems use frequency hopping, and can send data, video, as well as voice. They also use GPS so the desk SGT knows where the cars are, and can see what the dash cam of the patrol car is seeing. There is all kinds of high tech goodies. They have a licence plate recognition system that can read 3000 plates a minute from a patrol car and comperes to a hit list and alert the patrolman if the plate is on it. I do research for the Military Police in this area.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

thnycav wrote:
The newer systems use frequency hopping, and can send data, video, as well as voice. They also use GPS so the desk SGT knows where the cars are, and can see what the dash cam of the patrol car is seeing. There is all kinds of high tech goodies. They have a licence plate recognition system that can read 3000 plates a minute from a patrol car and comperes to a hit list and alert the patrolman if the plate is on it. I do research for the Military Police in this area.
You Reckon they can read through an inch of outhern Va. mud? Of coure my clean tags can be read "FARM USE":lol:

hunter45

imported post

I've been listening a lot over the past week. When I"m in my car I plug my iPhone into my FM transmitter and play it over my car speakers. I should get a video camera and be a stringer and race to the scene of each call. :p

virginiatuck

imported post

hunter45 wrote:
I've been listening a lot over the past week. When I"m in my car I plug my iPhone into my FM transmitter and play it over my car speakers. I should get a video camera and be a stringer and race to the scene of each call. :p
Do that and you're liable to become a suspect at one of those scenes...:uhoh:

Dreamer

imported post

This is a really cool service, this Radio Reference thing...

But there isn't a police, fire, or ems service within 2 hours of me in NC that has a system that links in to it...

Apparently, the Beaufort County and Washington city LEA's are just as secretive with their radio traffic as they are with their "police log" reports, which they do not release to local newspapers either...

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

You need to organize and tighten up some laws Dreamer. Looks like your FOI needs upgrading, you need to get rid of the terror to the public law and quit requiring a permit to buy a gun.

TFred

imported post

Dreamer wrote:
This is a really cool service, this Radio Reference thing...

But there isn't a police, fire, or ems service within 2 hours of me in NC that has a system that links in to it...

Apparently, the Beaufort County and Washington city LEA's are just as secretive with their radio traffic as they are with their "police log" reports, which they do not release to local newspapers either...
It sounds like you might be misunderstanding how these streams work. The streams are not being provided by the police, fire or ems services, but by local citizens who are scanning and feeding to a streaming service via their own scanners, computers and internet connection.

It's up to you or someone in your location to do this, not the local authorities.

TFred

bohdi

imported post

Nope. Apparently I missed that particular call between the vigara gone bad incident and the guy who got his face smashed in with a rock. I suppose a gun could help in both incidents, depending on your pain tolerance.