• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Attn: Louisiana Carry

lil dragon

imported post

As I understand it, Louisiana passed legislation stating that employers must allow employees to have weapons in their vehicles when on company property if they choose. Is this fact?

Also, I work in an oil refinery on the Mississippi river. Does this apply when it is in a federal trade zone? Or do federal laws (if they exist in this instance) trump state law?

georg jetson

imported post

lil dragon wrote:
As I understand it, Louisiana passed legislation stating that employers must allow employees to have weapons in their vehicles when on company property if they choose. Is this fact?

Also, I work in an oil refinery on the Mississippi river. Does this apply when it is in a federal trade zone? Or do federal laws (if they exist in this instance) trump state law?
292.1. Transportation and storage of firearms in privately owned motor vehicles [align=justify]A. Except as provided in Subsection D of this Section, a person who lawfully possesses a firearm may transport or store such firearm in a locked, privately-owned motor vehicle in any parking lot, parking garage, or other designated parking area.[/align] [align=justify]B. No property owner, tenant, public or private employer, or business entity or their agent or employee shall be liable in any civil action for damages resulting from or arising out of an occurrence involving a firearm transported or stored pursuant to this Section, other than for a violation of Subsection C of this Section.[/align] [align=justify]C. No property owner, tenant, public or private employer, or business entity shall prohibit any person from transporting or storing a firearm pursuant to Subsection A of this Section. However, nothing in this Section shall prohibit an employer or business entity from adopting policies specifying that firearms stored in locked, privately-owned motor vehicles on property controlled by an employer or business entity be hidden from plain view or within a locked case or container within the vehicle.[/align] [align=justify]D. This Section shall not apply to:[/align] [align=justify](1) Any property where the possession of firearms is prohibited under state or federal law.[/align] [align=justify](2) Any vehicle owned or leased by a public or private employer or business entity and used by an employee in the course of his employment, except for those employees who are required to transport or store a firearm in the official discharge of their duties.[/align] [align=justify](3) Any vehicle on property controlled by a public or private employer or business entity if access is restricted or limited through the use of a fence, gate, security station, signage, or other means of restricting or limiting general public access onto the parking area, and if one of the following conditions applies:[/align] [align=justify](a) The employer or business entity provides facilities for the temporary storage of unloaded firearms.[/align] [align=justify](b) The employer or business entity provides an alternative parking area reasonably close to the main parking area in which employees and other persons may transport or store firearms in locked, privately-owned motor vehicles.[/align] [align=justify]Acts 2008, No. 684, §1.[/align]

barf

imported post

Where are the federal trade zone laws/reglations posted? I don't find much googling...

lil dragon - I wouldn't give up on this until you have a definitive answer.

georg jetson

imported post

lil dragon wrote:
Dammit. Looks like I'll be parking off-site and riding my bicycle in. :banghead:

Grassy-ass amigo.
Dude... I just posted the appropriate state statute. You should probably take the initiative yourself and find out what, IF ANY, federal or state prohibitions apply. The internet is an amazing thing... you can find black letter law, jurisprudence and all other manner of useful documents without leaving the comfort of your bedroom. Give it a try. :)

lil dragon

imported post

georg jetson wrote:
barf wrote:
Where are the federal trade zone laws/reglations posted?  I don't find much googling...

lil dragon - I wouldn't give up on this until you have a definitive answer. 
He may be alluding to Foreign Trade Zones... this may be what he's looking for.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/19/usc_sup_01_19_10_1A.html

Yeah. That's what I meant. Mind was on federal laws and foreign trade zone. Got boggled.

I'm at work on my iPhone. It's hard to research while here.

lil dragon

imported post

I just skimmed through the Title 19 section and saw nothing of firearms mentioned. I'll search more when I can. Unless someone has some spare time to do so...

lsushawn

imported post

georg jetson wrote:
Dude... I just posted the appropriate state statute. You should probably take the initiative yourself and find out what, IF ANY, federal or state prohibitions apply. The internet is an amazing thing... you can find black letter law, jurisprudence and all other manner of useful documents without leaving the comfort of your bedroom. Give it a try. :)
Troll much?

TheMrMitch

imported post

I carried mine all the time before I retired from Exxon in Baton Rough. Kinda chancy, but I concealed it and even fooled the dogs.

I'm glad the laws changed. :celebrate

TheMrMitch

imported post

Residual powder all over inthe back of my vehicle(s). Dogs hit on it, keepers and supers did a half assed searches finding nothing but ammo, casings or whatever. They'd soon just ask. Gun was in asiteunder the seat.

I actually left a .22 on my dash once.....that scared me...no search that day and no onesaw it.They finally allowed us to check weapons into the security down the street at the refinery. No longer had to travel to work unarmed.:dude:

Louisiana Carry

imported post

lil dragon wrote:
Louisiana Carry wrote:
Do I read that correctly? That there are no OSHA regulations nor MTSA regulations concerning firearms? So the refinery must provide us with designated parking for those of us who wish to keep our handgun in our vehicle? Please correct me if I'm wrong...
It would seem.

XD-GEM

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Louisiana Carry wrote:
lil dragon wrote:
Louisiana Carry wrote:
Do I read that correctly? That there are no OSHA regulations nor MTSA regulations concerning firearms? So the refinery must provide us with designated parking for those of us who wish to keep our handgun in our vehicle? Please correct me if I'm wrong...
It would seem.

But we need to keep a close eye on the new OSHA head. He is an ardent anti-gun person. It wouldn't take much for him to propose new rules stating that firearms constitute a workplace hazard. This would have to follow procedure, of course, including hearings and public notices; but it will take some strong-arm work by Congress to stop it - just like with the "folding knife" controversy a short time back.

lil dragon

imported post

After familiarizing myself with OSHA and MTSA guidelines on weapons on premises (no mention of which in the guidelines) and reading the AG opinion, I spoke to the head of security at the refinery I work at. According to him, a plan has been submitted to the Coast Guard with provisions for weapons in vehicles. He is awaiting a response. Hopefully, all goes well and it is approved.