Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Interesting Conversation with a LEO friend last night

  1. #1
    Regular Member massivedesign's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Olympia, Washington, USA
    Posts
    866

    Post imported post

    Last night I had a long Facebook chat with a friend of mine who has been with the WSP for over 20 years. We talked about the recent fallen officers, over-the-top survivalists, the new M&P... and Open Carry....

    He was actually pretty pro open carry. He seems to have to deal with a MWAG call often, and since it "causes alarm...yadda yadda.." It get's a little tiring. The biggest issue he and some of his fellow officers have are regarding placement and retention. He said that most open carry people he deals with on a daily basis do not have a good hoster with retention features built it, and do not have the weapon defend-able (they have them in the 4-5 o'clock position).

    He says he and his fellow officers would feel a WHOLE lot better if people would start using retention setups and get the gun positioned at 3:30 or further forward.

    Also, while he is pro-oc there was discussion to the fact that CC is preferred. Mainly because of the sheeple issue, but also.... But because of situational awareness and the evident lack of it. The BG will target you first and take out the threat (you)... You will then have no chance to defend, protect or assist.. Kind of the key benifits to carrying a gun. Unless you are heightened (some of us are), you are useless if you OC. People get too comfortable with a weapon strapped to them, and you become de-sensitized to the fact that you have it on.

    Just thought I would pass on the point of the conversation.


    www.WaGuns.org

    Currently mapping locations of Shooting Areas as well as Gun Stores - Let me know what is missing!

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Spokane, Washington, USA
    Posts
    1,268

    Post imported post

    massivedesign wrote:
    Last night I had a long Facebook chat with a friend of mine who has been with the WSP for over 20 years. We talked about the recent fallen officers, over-the-top survivalists, the new M&P... and Open Carry....

    He was actually pretty pro open carry. He seems to have to deal with a MWAG call often, and since it "causes alarm...yadda yadda.." It get's a little tiring. The biggest issue he and some of his fellow officers have are regarding placement and retention. He said that most open carry people he deals with on a daily basis do not have a good hoster with retention features built it, and do not have the weapon defend-able (they have them in the 4-5 o'clock position).

    He says he and his fellow officers would feel a WHOLE lot better if people would start using retention setups and get the gun positioned at 3:30 or further forward.

    Also, while he is pro-oc there was discussion to the fact that CC is preferred. Mainly because of the sheeple issue, but also.... But because of situational awareness and the evident lack of it. The BG will target you first and take out the threat (you)... You will then have no chance to defend, protect or assist.. Kind of the key benifits to carrying a gun. Unless you are heightened (some of us are), you are useless if you OC. People get too comfortable with a weapon strapped to them, and you become de-sensitized to the fact that you have it on.

    Just thought I would pass on the point of the conversation.
    Out of all the OC meets I have gone tooI haven't seen anyone open carrying their firearm at 4-5 o clock yet... That seems to be an almost exclusive concealed carry position in my experience.

    I actually carry my Serpa at 2:30... It feels more comfortable and is easier for me to draw when it is slightly in front of my hip...

    As far as retention... If anyone is wearing their open carry rig at 5 o clock without some sort of retention device whether a serpa, or button strap or something else, you would be putting yourself in a poor situation everytime you stood in line. Your gun behind you in plain sight, people behind you... Doesn't make sense to me...

  3. #3
    Regular Member gsx1138's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Bremerton, Washington, United States
    Posts
    884

    Post imported post

    A combination of good points and opinion. I carry my XD in a Serpa at about 230-300 because honestly, I'm fat. And that's the most comfortable.

    I do see his being tired of MWAG calls though. Sadly, the dark blue streak up the middle of the State means that will not change for a long time.
    "Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world." ~ Musashi

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Spokane, Washington, USA
    Posts
    1,268

    Post imported post

    gsx1138 wrote:
    I do see his being tired of MWAG calls though. Sadly, the dark blue streak up the middle of the State means that will not change for a long time.
    This could be changed simply with further training of the police dispatchers. It takes just one more question to solve a call.

    Caller: "There is a man with a gun!"

    Dispatcher: "Okay, what is he doing with it?"

    Caller: "He is walking around with it on his hip!"

    Dispatcher: "That is it? Just walking around? Not waving it, or threatening someone, or robbing someone?"

    Caller: "Well no..."

    Dispatcher: "That is perfectly legal sir/maam... Goodbye."

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    N47 12 x W122 10
    Posts
    1,762

    Post imported post

    He seems to have to deal with a MWAG call often, and since it "causes alarm...yadda yadda.." It get's a little tiring.
    Really? The State Patrol?

    What part of the state does he work in?

    (whole original post not quoted on purpose)

  6. #6
    Regular Member amlevin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    North of Seattle, Washington, USA
    Posts
    5,953

    Post imported post

    massivedesign wrote:
    Last night I had a long Facebook chat with a friend of mine who has been with the WSP for over 20 years.
    He seems to have to deal with a MWAG call often, and since it "causes alarm...yadda yadda.."
    Unless there has been a recent change, WSP officers respond primarily to traffic incidents. Most MWAG calls go to City or County Police officers, not the WSP.

    He may deal with drivers that are carrying, but I seriously doubt that he has spent much time responding to MWAG calls.

    The Troopers I have known for well over 20 years could care less if you carry. Open or Concealed. During a traffic stop, and once they know that you are armed (or have a weapon in the car) they merely want two things. First is a CPL and second, leave the gun where it is. If on your person, and they want to separate it from you for the duration of the stop they will remove it, place it where they can maintain control (or sometimes merely have the driver step out of the car and return to his patrol vehicle with him).

    In short, most if not all troopers could care less HOW you carry, just that they are safe during the stop.

    Common sense suggests that a proper holster is required but unfortunately, common sense is not all that common today.


    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

    "If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

  7. #7
    Regular Member massivedesign's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Olympia, Washington, USA
    Posts
    866

    Post imported post

    deanf wrote:
    He seems to have to deal with a MWAG call often, and since it "causes alarm...yadda yadda.." It get's a little tiring.
    Really? The State Patrol?

    What part of the state does he work in?

    (whole original post not quoted on purpose)
    He works in Centralia / Chehalis area. WSP responds to a lot of calls that are non-traffic, non freeway. Especially if they are closer than another officer.

    Quite often I see a WSP flying down Black Lake Blvd in Olympia simply because a county unit would be 20 minutes away.

    Down south, county and local coverage is minimum compared to larger metro.
    www.WaGuns.org

    Currently mapping locations of Shooting Areas as well as Gun Stores - Let me know what is missing!

  8. #8
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338

    Post imported post

    I have nothing but positive encounters with WSP. The gun and open carry was never an issue.

    Here's my gun ....I decided to keep the sticker.....




    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  9. #9
    Campaign Veteran gogodawgs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Federal Way, Washington, USA
    Posts
    5,667

    Post imported post

    The Troopers I have known for well over 20 years could care less if you carry. Open or Concealed. During a traffic stop, and once they know that you are armed (or have a weapon in the car) they merely want two things. First is a CPL and second, leave the gun where it is. If on your person, and they want to separate it from you for the duration of the stop they will remove it, place it where they can maintain control (or sometimes merely have the driver step out of the car and return to his patrol vehicle with him).

    In short, most if not all troopers could care less HOW you carry, just that they are safe during the stop.

    Common sense suggests that a proper holster is required but unfortunately, common sense is not all that common today.

    I was pulled over this summr for a traffic stop. Sig in the passenger seat, loaded. I had a rag over it but knew that he would approach the passenger side so removed the rag and informen him immediately. He said 'thanks' and 'how often do you carry?' I said 'always' and he said 'I don't blame you', then wrote me a ticket. Never asked for my CPL, never asked if it was loaded (it is and chambered).... he never seemed concerned.
    Live Free or Die!

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Tacoma, WA, ,
    Posts
    886

    Post imported post

    gogodawgs wrote:
    I was pulled over this summr for a traffic stop. Sig in the passenger seat, loaded. I had a rag over it but knew that he would approach the passenger side so removed the rag and informen him immediately. He said 'thanks' and 'how often do you carry?' I said 'always' and he said 'I don't blame you', then wrote me a ticket. Never asked for my CPL, never asked if it was loaded (it is and chambered).... he never seemed concerned.
    This is about the same as the encounters I've had with WSP. One trooper, was like, "Umm, OK. You arent going to shoot me with it, are you? ("Well, no.") OK, then (shrugging his shoulders a bit). Can I get your drivers license/reg./proof of insurance?" That was it. Almost like "Um, that's great, I've got one too....can I get to writing your ticket now?" Very chill.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Spokane, Washington, USA
    Posts
    1,268

    Post imported post

    G20-IWB24/7 wrote:
    gogodawgs wrote:
    I was pulled over this summr for a traffic stop. Sig in the passenger seat, loaded. I had a rag over it but knew that he would approach the passenger side so removed the rag and informen him immediately. He said 'thanks' and 'how often do you carry?' I said 'always' and he said 'I don't blame you', then wrote me a ticket. Never asked for my CPL, never asked if it was loaded (it is and chambered).... he never seemed concerned.
    This is about the same as the encounters I've had with WSP. One trooper, was like, "Umm, OK. You arent going to shoot me with it, are you? ("Well, no.") OK, then (shrugging his shoulders a bit). Can I get your drivers license/reg./proof of insurance?" That was it. Almost like "Um, that's great, I've got one too....can I get to writing your ticket now?" Very chill.
    I got pold over by an officer who was on fishing expeditions right outside a gun show (pulling over anybody he could for anything just to run for warrants or felons w/ guns). Asked to see my license, told him sure but before I grab it, I want to let you know I am open carrying on my right hip right next to my wallet.

    His response? "Thats fine, you don't shoot at me, I won't shoot at you."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •