• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

10 people in a bar quote

TylerJ87

imported post

I read a quote the other day about 10 people in a bar and who picks up the tab and how it reflects the current tax code, I wanted to show it to a co-worker but can't find it now

anyone know what thread it was in?

SpringerXDacp

imported post

http://www.wisebread.com/bar-stool-economics-0

Suppose that every day, ten men go out for beer and the bill for all ten comes to $100. If they paid their bill the way we pay our taxes, it would go something like this:

The first four men (the poorest) would pay nothing.
The fifth would pay $1.
The sixth would pay $3.
The seventh would pay $7.
The eighth would pay $12.
The ninth would pay $18.
The tenth man (the richest) would pay $59.

So, that's what they decided to do. The ten men drank in the bar every day and seemed quite happy with the arrangement, until one day, the owner threw them a curve.
"Since you are all such good customers", he said, "I'm going to reduce the cost of your daily beer by $20". Drinks for the ten now cost just $80.
The group still wanted to pay their bill the way we pay our taxes so the first four men were unaffected. They would still drink for free. But what about the other six men - the paying customers? How could they divide the $20 windfall so that everyone would get his "fair share?"
They realized that $20 divided by six is $3.33. But if they subtracted that from everybody's share, then the fifth man and the sixth man would each end up being paid to drink his beer. So, the bar owner suggested that it would be fair to reduce each man's bill by roughly the same amount, and he proceeded to work out the amounts each should pay.

And so:
The fifth man, like the first four, now paid nothing (100% savings).
The sixth now paid $2 instead of $3 (33%savings).
The seventh now pay $5 instead of $7 (28%savings).
The eighth now paid $9 instead of $12 (25% savings).
The ninth now paid $14 instead of $18 (22% savings).
The tenth now paid $49 instead of $59 (16% savings).

Each of the six was better off than before. And the first four continued to drink for free. But once outside the restaurant, the men began to compare their savings.
"I only got a dollar out of the $20," declared the sixth man. He pointed to the tenth man, "but he got $10!"
"Yeah, that's right," exclaimed the fifth man. "I only saved a dollar, too. It's unfair that he got ten times more than I!"
"That's true!!" shouted the seventh man. "Why should he get $10 back when I got only two? The wealthy get all the breaks!"
"Wait a minute," yelled the first four men in unison. "We didn't get anything at all. The system exploits the poor!"
The nine men surrounded the tenth and beat him up.
The next night the tenth man didn't show up for drinks, so the nine sat down and had beers without him. But when it came time to pay the bill, they discovered something important. They didn't have enough money between all of them for even half of the bill!

And that, boys and girls, journalists and college professors, is how our tax system works. The people who pay the highest taxes get the most benefit from a tax reduction. Tax them too much, attack them for being wealthy, and they just may not show up anymore. In fact, they might start drinking overseas where the atmosphere is somewhat friendlier.

jeremiahJohnson

imported post

National (Nazism) health care, Cap & Trade (Tax & Control), and this stupid Copenhagen treaty will be the final nails that seal America's coffin. Freedom only exist in the world because of us, remember when we fall there will be no other place you can go to get a better life.

Tomahawk

imported post

Where's the part where they print moreunbacked currencyto make up for the lack of money? Or where they borrow all their drinking money from the guy at the Chinese restaurant nextdoor and promise to pay him back someday?

jeremiahJohnson

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
Where's the part where they print moreunbacked currencyto make up for the lack of money? Or where they borrow all their drinking money from the guy at the Chinese restaurant nextdoor and promise to pay him back someday?
Nice!

office888

imported post

CrossPistols wrote:
National (Nazism) health care, Cap & Trade (Tax & Control), and this stupid Copenhagen treaty will be the final nails that seal America's coffin. Freedom only exist in the world because of us, remember when we fall there will be no other place you can go to get a better life.
Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

We're one of few countries in the civilized world that doesn't have nationalized healthcare.

We're moving towards a Swiss healthcare system, which is often regarded as the greatest healthcare system in the world. Not only that, their system costs 40% less per capita than ours, it covers people with pre-existing conditions, and also provides reduced premiums to people that follow healthy lifestyles (aka, not smoking).

I would highly advise people stop watching the news, and start formulating their own opinions. The talking heads need not control everybody.

-Richard-

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:

+1

It is in the next chapter where the bartender starts watering down thedrinks, and the tailor starts selling shirts made in Pakistan from thinner cloth because the value of the dollar crashed.

jeremiahJohnson

imported post

office888 wrote:
CrossPistols wrote:
Let's not get ahead of ourselves. HUH?

We're one of few countries in the civilized world that doesn't have nationalized healthcare. Thank god! We're also one of few countries that are free!

We're moving towards a Swiss healthcare system, (which has a population of Rhode Island) which is often regarded as the greatest healthcare system in the world(by whom?). Not only that, their system costs 40% less per capita than ours(again tiny population, and different health conditions), it covers people with pre-existing conditions(at a price!), and also provides reduced premiums(reduced premiums is still more than no premium) to people that follow healthy lifestyles (aka, not smoking). (this would be fine if this was the system from the get go, changing midstream is not fair to people who already smoke, or are overweight, etc)

I would highly advise people stop watching the news(I don't), and start formulating their own opinions(I do). The talking heads need not control everybody. (they don't)

-Richard-
Here is an idea I came up with my own brain, Pay for your own doctor bill...I do!, here is another Idea I came up with...Out of the supposed 49 million uncovered, why don't we ship the 16 million illegal aliens back where they came from, then minus the 10 million like me who pay cash, then minus the 10 million young adults who choose not to be covered, then the remaining 13 million, we could just come up with a way to cover them and them only...maybe by showing them how to use a phone or computer to look up the 100's of programs, and foundations that are out there to help the less unfortunate. If more people would start carrying their own weight it would be easier for the rest of us.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

CrossPistols wrote:
, then the remaining 13 million, we could just come up with a way to cover them and them only..

Yep and there are already more than this covered by such programs as DSHS, basic Health, Charity care, Bridge loans etc.....but that doesn't stop congress from lying about it.

jeremiahJohnson

imported post

Yooper wrote:
How about we scrap the whole bill, since it's unconstitutional.
Well technically it is not a passed bill yet there for it is not unconstitutional yet but...
I know where your going and I'll meet ya there if it happens.:lol:

jeremiahJohnson

imported post

sudden valley gunner wrote:
CrossPistols wrote:
, then the remaining 13 million, we could just come up with a way to cover them and them only..

Yep and there are already more than this covered by such programs as DSHS, basic Health, Charity care, Bridge loans etc.....but that doesn't stop congress from lying about it.
Not to mention half the 13 million are probably cover by Medicaid, and medicare!