• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I can no longer carry concealed

heresolong

imported post

City of Blaine is taking every possible second to issue my license renewal. Due to the unfortunate lack of a mailed renewal notice (only license in WA that doesn't get one AFAIK) and my schedule which doesn't allow me to get to the police station before they close on most days, I didn't get my renewal in until November 13th. Since my license expired on Dec 8th, there was a five day overlap when I might not have a permit. Blaine PD assured me that it generally took about three weeks so I'd be OK. After three weeks I called and the woman that does the permits was quite snotty, telling me that she has 30 days to issue the renewal and that I should have applied earlier if I was worried about it. (Pretty sure it was the same woman that told me that it would take about three weeks so not too happy about that). So, here it is, the thirtieth day (since they are closed Sat and Sun and Monday would be day 31) and I have not received a call yet. Now I will probably have to leave work, drive all the way to Blaine to (maybe) get my permit as required by law within 30 days, and then drive all the way back to Bellingham to work at my shop this evening.

I am quite annoyed. I also suspect that if I get there and it isn't done, there is no legal recourse and it will cost the city nothing in either penalties, time, publicity, or any other negative consequences.

tyguy808

imported post

David.Car wrote:
So today is technically the 28th day. You may receive it in the mail today, or tomorrow and it would still not be late.

That doesn't change the fact that he is without CPL. He is having to clear his gun every time he gets into his ride.

Speaking of which, does that apply to motorcycles? Since you're technically not IN a vehicle?

joeroket

imported post

tyguy808 wrote:
David.Car wrote:
So today is technically the 28th day. You may receive it in the mail today, or tomorrow and it would still not be late.

Speaking of which, does that apply to motorcycles? Since you're technically not IN a vehicle?
Do a search on the forums. It has been discussed 4 or 5 times in great length each time.

David.Car

imported post

tyguy808 wrote:
David.Car wrote:

That doesn't change the fact that he is without CPL. He is having to clear his gun every time he gets into his ride.
But as of right now, the state has violated no time issue. If his current CPL has lapsed that simply means he neglected to renew in time... So the only person who is responsible with his failure to have a legitimate license is him.

I have no pity for any man who has a problem created by themselves..

jchen012

imported post

That sucks. Maybe next time you should try getting your license renewed at the Sheriff's Office. They are usually better administratively.

heresolong

imported post

David.Car wrote:
But as of right now, the state has violated no time issue. If his current CPL has lapsed that simply means he neglected to renew in time... So the only person who is responsible with his failure to have a legitimate license is him.

I have no pity for any man who has a problem created by themselves..
Not asking for your pity and not claiming that the City of Blaine has violated any statues, (although at 2:30 on the last day, having not received a phone call, they sure are using up every possible minute alloted to them by the state).

Just pointing out that the lack of notification by the state ( a singular circumstance that only applies to CPL holders in this state), combined with a ridiculous time schedule for renewal (imagine if I went into the DMV and was told that they have thirty days to renew my driver's license), combined with police departments waiting until two hours before the legal limit to actually process the paperwork, has led to a less than optimal situation for me.

Yes, had I remembered that five years was up a little earlier I could have gone in sooner. Had my work schedule permitted me to make it back to Blaine in time to submit the renewal I could have gone in sooner. But why exactly do they not have it done already? Are they really sitting on the renewal paperwork until 4:29 on Friday and then processing it or has it been done for a week but calling me to let me know is not a priority because I am "just a guy who wants to carry a gun".

Finally, why does it take 30 days anyway? I can buy a firearm in fifteen minutes but it takes state agencies 30 days to run a simple background check? If I went into a gun store and they told me it would be 30 days before they could be bothered to run the check and I should come back then, I would take my business elsewhere. I have no option with government. They are non-responsive because they have a monopoly.

David.Car wrote:
They told me that I will have to pick it up in person, they don't mail them out, so it would have to be today or it will be late.

heresolong

imported post

jchen012 wrote:
That sucks. Maybe next time you should try getting your license renewed at the Sheriff's Office. They are usually better administratively.
Can't cause I live in Blaine. And yes, they are much better.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

heresolong wrote:
jchen012 wrote:
That sucks that they force you to go to the city, when you live in Whatcom County.

tyguy808

imported post

sudden valley gunner wrote:
heresolong wrote:
jchen012 wrote:
Can't cause I live in Blaine.  And yes, they are much better.
That sucks that they force you to go to the city, when you live in Whatcom County.

You can go to the Sheriff's Department. If you live in a city you can go to the City PD or Sheriff's office. If you live in an unincorporated portion of the county you MUST go to the Sheriff.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

tyguy808 wrote:
heresolong wrote:
jchen012 wrote:

You can go to the Sheriff's Department. If you live in a city you can go to the City PD or Sheriff's office. If you live in an unincorporated portion of the county you MUST go to the Sheriff.
Thats what I thought that is why I was telling everyone go to sheriff's not PD. Figured I was wrong after reading Heresolongs post.

seattleric007

Banned
imported post

I recently got my ccw card renewed at seattle police dept. headquarters. I did it 85 days early. It took about a half hour, and I got the renewal right on the spot. I then went to Kinko's and color copied it, and laminated them. You know I use a drop leg holster, I love it.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

seattleric007 wrote:
I recently got my ccw card renewed at seattle police dept. headquarters. I did it 85 days early. It took about a half hour, and I got the renewal right on the spot. I then went to Kinko's and color copied it, and laminated them. You know I use a drop leg holster, I love it.
....Mall Ninja!!!!!! Just kidding. Carry how you like.:D

heresolong

imported post

heresolong wrote:
jchen012 wrote:
Actually I live about three blocks from the police station, but good to know that I can go to the Sheriff. I was under a misapprehension.