• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Get Ready NYC Shootout will blame Virginia Gun Dealers

wylde007

imported post

nova wrote:
Well, perhaps NYPD are now carrying "throw down" business cards from VA dealers much like crooked cops carry throw down guns???:uhoh:
Or drugs.:(

Tomahawk wrote:
As fantastic as that sounds, I could be persuaded to believe it. Unlike the people overseas, Bloomberg really does hate us because we're free.
It gets easier to believe every time some "convenient" evidence just happens to appear that the media jumps all over instead of oh, I don't know, pertinent FACTS.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

67GT390FB wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
Just finished watching channel 6 report on the Mac10.

Reporter/commentator kept calling it a machine gun! :cuss:

It is a semi-automatic pistol, not a full automatic gun. :banghead:

Yata hey

Darn - you beat me Buster, must have had your finger on the trigger. :)
man grape don't you know every mac-10 is full auto, at least every movie i see them in they are. every article i saw called it a machine pistol and it only fired two rounds because it jammed.
You paid for that movie - you watch it. :)

Yata hey

Dreamer

imported post

Please let us know if the interview gets put online on the station's website, or YouTube.

so, how did it go? Did you set them straight on the "machine gun" thing?...

VCDL President

Centurion
imported post

Dreamer wrote:
Please let us know if the interview gets put online on the station's website, or YouTube.

so, how did it go? Did you set them straight on the "machine gun" thing?...
That didn't come up, but I certainly set them straight on Bloomberg. As usual, we will just have to see what hits the cutting room floor. I recorded the interview.

Repeater

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
Hawkflyer wrote:
I will register them the day some explains to me how this will help track a STOLEN gun.
Easy, you just confiscate them before they get stolen.
You guys think this is funny?

This is deadly serious. See what's happening now in Wisconsin:

Back door gun registration for Wisconsin
Back door gun registration is being proposed for Wisconsin by Senators Coggs, Taylor and Lassa; Representatives Richards, Staskunas, Turner, Young, Sinicki, Berceau, Colon, Grigsby, Fields, Pasch, Kessler, Zepnick and Toles.

SB 367 is yet another attempt to infringe upon lawful gun owners in Wisconsin by making it a crime not to report a lost or stolen gun within 48 hours of discovering the loss or theft. I am not clear how anyone will know if a stolen gun that shows up at a crime scene just 5 hours after it was stolen is your gun orto whom it belongs. The fine for a first time offense is only $1,000 and or 90 days in jail. Should you have a second gun stolen and it is used in a crime before you report it, you risk a $10,000 fine and nine months in jail. Who is to say when you “discovered” it was missing which started the 48 hours clock? How do you prove you did not know what you did not know?

Here is where the initial gun registration begins.

A law enforcement agency that receives under sub. (1) (a) a report of a stolen or lost firearm shall do all of the following:
1. Create a file that includes as much of the following information as is
available:
a. The date on which the firearm was stolen or lost.
b. The caliber, make, and model of the firearm.
c. The serial number of the firearm.
d. Any distinguishing mark on the firearm.
e. The location at which the firearm was purchased by, or transferred to, the person making the report under sub. (1) (a).

This information becomes a permanent record. Even if you recover your property, neither the local law enforcement agency nor Department of Justice is required to purge the record of the firearm or its lawful owner.

The camel’s noise is now under the tent. It is a very short step from here to require that all guns be registered.

From Fox News:

Proposed Wis. law would punish people who don’t report stolen guns
Despite opposition from the National Rifle Association, there appears to be broad support for a proposed Wisconsin law penalizing gun owners who fail to report a lost or stolen gun.

Supporters of the bill call it the next step in cracking down on what are known as "straw gun buys." A straw purchaser is someone who buys a gun for someone who is a felon and then gives or sells it to the felon for use in a crime.

The proposed law that is the latest effort to deter such transactions got a legislative hearing this week. It would allow prosecutors to charge anyone who fails to report a lost or stolen gun in 48 hours with a misdemeanor.

Milwaukee police captain Gary Gacek says it would give law enforcement one more tool in tracking down people who sell guns to criminals. He says “traffickers use the ‘it was stolen’ excuse. The crime is then traced back to the person who legally purchased the gun and when the owner is asked how the gun got to the person who committed the crime, law enforcement is told the gun was lost or stolen.”

Gacek says current law doesn’t require the reporting of lost or stolen guns, so the prosecution of straw gun purchasing isn’t possible.

Opponents say the law would treat responsible gun owners like criminals. Jeff Nass, spokesman for a Wisconsin firearm owners group, says the proposal may be a tool for law enforcement, but says police have the ability to investigate a crime without putting a legal gun owner, who has a gun lost or stolen, “under the guise of doing something illegal.”

But supporters of the bill point to a recent poll that found more than 70 percent of NRA members support similar laws that are already in place in other states. The bill has strong support from law enforcement agencies around the state.
Here's the bill, SB 367:
http://www.legis.state.wi.us/2009/data/SB-367.pdf

What if some gun-hater introduces such a bill in the General Assembly?

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Why would this year be any different than every past year. This is a perennial piece of legislation out of the Brady bunch in most states.

I am curious though as to why you think reporting a stolen gun to the police is a bad thing. Seems to me if I had a gun stolen and it turned up later at a crime scene, I would want a police report on file as proof that it was NOT in my possession at the time of the crime. I do not need a new law to tell me that reporting such a theft is a good idea as a matter of self preservation.

Regards

Dreamer

imported post

Repeater,

I'm sort of with Hawkflyer on this one, but I agree with you that the records should NOT be kept by the police any Federal agencies once the gun is recovered and given back to it's rightful owner...

I mean if you had a printing press or a computer, and it was stolen, wouldn't you report a complete description to the police, complete with serial number? Would doing so somehow be an infringement on your 1A rights? I own several of both (computers and printing presses) and you better believe I've got photos and descriptions (including serial numbers) stashed safely so that if they ever are stolen, I can report it.

It's not the reporting of the article stolen, and the giving of identifying information that is the infringement. It is the governments insistence on KEEPING that information after teh property has been returned to it's rightful owner that is egregious...

Tomahawk

imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
I am curious though as to why you think reporting a stolen gun to the police is a bad thing.
This goes along the lones of the "for your own good" arguments.

"Wearing a seatbelt is a good idea. Therefore, force everyone to wear one."

"Nobody needs to have a .50 cal rifle, therefore, ban them."

As far as I'm concerned, a law criminalizing you for not reporting a stolen gun is all bad.

Repeater

imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
I am curious though as to why you think reporting a stolen gun to the police is a bad thing. Seems to me if I had a gun stolen and it turned up later at a crime scene, I would want a police report on file as proof that it was NOT in my possession at the time of the crime.
You misinterpret the bill. It would force owners to report any gun lost or stolen -- or be punished for not doing so.

There's also nothing wrong with having medical insurance; that doesn't justify forcing everyone to but health insurance -- or be punished for not doing so.

wylde007

imported post

Repeater wrote:
You misinterpret the bill. It would force owners to report any gun lost or stolen -- or be punished for not doing so.
But... how would they otherwise know it was "your" gun unless you had registered it with them in the first place?

Adequate detective work MIGHT lead an investigation of an unlawfully used firearm back to its original owner, but not necessarily.

Otherwise they have an illegally acquired, owner-unknown firearm. Solution (grit your teeth folks) - destroy the gun.

I don't know, maybe I applied too much logic here...:D

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Repeater wrote:
Hawkflyer wrote:
I am curious though as to why you think reporting a stolen gun to the police is a bad thing. Seems to me if I had a gun stolen and it turned up later at a crime scene, I would want a police report on file as proof that it was NOT in my possession at the time of the crime.

There's also nothing wrong with having medical insurance; that doesn't justify forcing everyone to but health insurance -- or be punished for not doing so.

All but one of you took my comment out of context. Read it again, I never said I thought the proposed legislation was a good idea, or that I supported it. That is your spin.

All I said was that it is very likely a good idea to report a stolen weapon as a matter of self preservation.

If you found a gun lying on the street would you keep it or turn it in? If you said keep it you are not very bright. If that gun can ever be connected to a crime, guess what that can lead to. Even if you beat the charge, it is a lot more expensive than the price of that gun, and it is a significant irritation.

Regards

Bizzarolibe

imported post

Here is an e-mail I sent to the incompetent nimrods who ran this story:
"No wonder people are so skeptical of the media. You and your ilk are so out of touch with America. In case you haven’t seen the latest polls, you guys are on thin ice…if you having broken through it already.

I was looking through comments on a forum about the story you guys ran back on the 11th about the Richmond gun dealer who’s card was found on some thug who tried to shoot an NYC cop. Apparently, your “reporter” repeatedly referred to the Mac-10 semi-automatic pistol used in the shooting as a “machine pistol”. This is 100% false. You and the fear-mongering liberal elitist media do this country a great disservice by lying to the ignorant Americans who may be watching your show. A Mac-10 is a semi-automatic pistol; it is NOT a machine pistol. It can only fire one (1) round per pull of the trigger, unlike a true machine gun which continues firing rounds as long as the trigger is depressed (this type of firearm is illegal for ANY American to own without first obtaining a class III authorization, and it has been this wayfor the past half century).

This is biased reporting at its worst. You have committed a gross violation of journalist ethics, and I’m calling you on it. You need to issue a statement on the air and on your website to correct this and suspend/fire the ignorant (or lying) reporter who was responsible for spreading this mis-information. Either your reporter was mis-informed or he/she was knowingly twisting the truth; either one is just as bad as the other and demonstrates an equal amount of incompetence.

I sincerely hope that you don’t discard this e-mail thinking I’m just some conservative nut-job running his mouth. The Brady Campaign and their freedom-hating brethren thrive off of mis-information like this. They eat it for breakfast, lunch and dinner so they can continue on their crusade to slowly erode our rights until there is nothing left but an overgrown “nanny” government and a powerless populace. Words like “machine pistol” evoke fear in sheeple, and you know this very well. Conditioningthe publicto fear guns does nothing but aid and abet those who prey on the innocent. Mountains of evidence—not fear-mongering or emotional appeal—support responsible gun ownership as a means of defense against crime, murder…and tyranny. You ought to be ashamed of yourselves.

I really do hope you consider this e-mail. I’m not some hyper-reactive Glenn-Beck loving Obama hating gun-nut; I’m a responsible American who loves freedom and truth. Truth itwould seemis in very short supply these days, as your station has so aptly demonstrated.

Sincerely,
-------"

Edit: copy and pasted the wrong draft

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Bizzarolibe wrote:
"No wonder people are so skeptical of the media. You and your ilk are so out of touch with America. In case you haven’t seen the latest polls, you guys are on thin ice…if you having broken through it already.

I was looking through comments on a forum about the story you guys ran back on the 11th about the Richmond gun dealer who’s card was found on some thug who tried to shoot an NYC cop. Apparently, your “reporter” repeatedly referred to the Mac-10 semi-automatic pistol used in the shooting as a “machine pistol”. This is 100% false. You and the fear-mongering liberal elitist media do this country a great disservice by lying to the ignorant Americans who may be watching your show. A Mac-10 is a semi-automatic pistol; it is NOT a machine pistol. It can only fire one (1) round per pull of the trigger, unlike a true machine gun which continues firing rounds as long as the trigger is depressed (this type of firearm is illegal for ANY American to own, and has been for the past half century).

This is biased reporting at its worst. You have committed a gross violation of journalist ethics, and I’m calling you on it. You need to issue a statement on the air and on your website to correct this and suspend/fire the ignorant (or lying) reporter who was responsible for spreading this mis-information. Either your reporter was mis-informed or he/she was knowingly twisting the truth; either one is just as bad as the other and demonstrates an equal amount of incompetence.

I sincerely hope that you don’t discard this e-mail thinking I’m just some conservative nut-job running his mouth. The Brady Campaign and their freedom-hating brethren thrive off of mis-information like this. They eat it for breakfast, lunch and dinner so they can continue on their crusade to slowly erode our rights until there is nothing left but an overgrown “nanny” government and a powerless populace. Words like “machine pistol” evoke fear in sheeple, and you know this very well. Conditioning people to fear guns does nothing but aid and abet those who prey on the innocent. Mountains of evidence—not fear-mongering or emotional appeal—support responsible gun ownership as a means of defense against crime, murder…and tyranny. You ought to be ashamed of yourselves.

I really do hope you consider this e-mail. I’m not some hyper-reactive Glenn-Beck loving Obama hating gun-nut; I’m a responsible American who loves freedom and truth. Truth it seems is in very short supply these days, as your station has so aptly demonstrated.

Sincerely,
-------"
Personal observation - writing to journalists, editors, etc. is best done in a professional manner with no rancor. Report the errors, omissions with correct data and cites where ever possible. Lecturing and/or insulting them does nothing , but cause them to write you off as what you suspect their opinion already is - you confirm it by fitting the mold.

BTW - it is not illegal to own a fully automatic weapon - class III. Misstatements like this will work against you as the show lack of knowledge on the subject.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Firearms_Act

Be professional, concise and to the point. Neither insult or rant. I always provide my full name, address and phone numbers should they wish to discuss the matter further.

Yata hey

Bizzarolibe

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Bizzarolibe wrote:

I was looking through comments on a forum about the story you guys ran back on the 11th about the Richmond gun dealer who’s card was found on some thug who tried to shoot an NYC cop. Apparently, your “reporter” repeatedly referred to the Mac-10 semi-automatic pistol used in the shooting as a “machine pistol”. This is 100% false. You and the fear-mongering liberal elitist media do this country a great disservice by lying to the ignorant Americans who may be watching your show. A Mac-10 is a semi-automatic pistol; it is NOT a machine pistol. It can only fire one (1) round per pull of the trigger, unlike a true machine gun which continues firing rounds as long as the trigger is depressed (this type of firearm is illegal for ANY American to own, and has been for the past half century).

I sincerely hope that you don’t discard this e-mail thinking I’m just some conservative nut-job running his mouth. The Brady Campaign and their freedom-hating brethren thrive off of mis-information like this. They eat it for breakfast, lunch and dinner so they can continue on their crusade to slowly erode our rights until there is nothing left but an overgrown “nanny” government and a powerless populace. Words like “machine pistol” evoke fear in sheeple, and you know this very well. Conditioning people to fear guns does nothing but aid and abet those who prey on the innocent. Mountains of evidence—not fear-mongering or emotional appeal—support responsible gun ownership as a means of defense against crime, murder…and tyranny. You ought to be ashamed of yourselves.

I really do hope you consider this e-mail. I’m not some hyper-reactive Glenn-Beck loving Obama hating gun-nut; I’m a responsible American who loves freedom and truth. Truth it seems is in very short supply these days, as your station has so aptly demonstrated.

Sincerely,
-------"
Personal observation - writing to journalists, editors, etc. is best done in a professional manner with no rancor. Report the errors, omissions with correct data and cites where ever possible. Lecturing and/or insulting them does nothing , but cause them to write you off as what you suspect their opinion already is - you confirm it by fitting the mold.

BTW - it is not illegal to own a fully automatic weapon - class III. Misstatements like this will work against you as the show lack of knowledge on the subject.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Firearms_Act

Be professional, concise and to the point. Neither insult or rant. I always provide my full name, address and phone numbers should they wish to discuss the matter further.

Yata hey

I've had positive responses either way (you didn't think this was my first time writing to a news station, do you?). Depending on the mood I'm in it can go one way or the other, but honestly I've never really seen a difference inhow they respond(and yes, I do get responses from time to time), regardless of whether my tone is super nice or sharp and pointy, like this one. Take it for what it's worth, but I've found simple things like spelling and grammar to be more important in gettingsomeone to actually listento you than tone...although of course if I'm telling them to go f*** off that might be something different.