• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Movie Mistakes

mahkagari

imported post

Whenever I teach someone to shoot, the first thing I tell them after basic safety rules is everythingyou've learned frommovies or TV (includingnews aboutlaws) is 100% wrong. One movie that takes place in Iowaparticular bothers me.

One of the characters is a skeet shooter. At one point, the sheriff talks to him about his shotgun laying onthe backseat of his parkedcar. He and the sheriff continually refer to it as his "rifle". He states he has a "license" for it.

Calling the shotgun a rifle is enough to bely how ignorant of firearms the writers were. Before I write some hate mail, I wanted to check: 1) Do you need any kind of license/permit for a shotgun in Iowa? 2) Do shotguns need to be locked/cased while transporting?

IA_farmboy

imported post

Calling the shotgun a rifle is enough to bely how ignorant of firearms the writers were. Before I write some hate mail, I wanted to check: 1) Do you need any kind of license/permit for a shotgun in Iowa? 2) Do shotguns need to be locked/cased while transporting?

Check Iowa Code section 724 and DNR regulations for clarification but as I can recall there is no license to own a shotgun in Iowa and, yes, shotguns do need to be cased (or dismantled) to transport legally.

The lawful transport of long guns was explained by a DNR officer in my hunter education class. A shotgun must be unloaded. The shotgun must also be in a case or in at least two pieces before being placed in or on a vehicle. Placing your shotgun on the tailgate of your truck so you can free your hands to load up your catch will be a violation. Take the time to either remove the barrel or stuff it in a gun sock before doing so.

ethies

imported post

IA_farmboy wrote:
Placing your shotgun on the tailgate of your truck so you can free your hands to load up your catch will be a violation.
I don't think that's correct. I've found that DNR instructors are frequently rather poorly informed. They seem to have the basics of what they need to teach down, but then will stray into hearsay and conjecture. I think the law applies to 'transport' of firearms, and you won't be transporting it until you move.

Otherwise, I agree. Break it down or case it before you go anywhere. Also, no license is needed to own any kind of firearm in Iowa.

Darkshadow62988

Activist Member
Holy Thread Revival Batman!

IA_farmboy wrote:
I don't think that's correct. I've found that DNR instructors are frequently rather poorly informed. They seem to have the basics of what they need to teach down, but then will stray into hearsay and conjecture. I think the law applies to 'transport' of firearms, and you won't be transporting it until you move.

Otherwise, I agree. Break it down or case it before you go anywhere. Also, no license is needed to own any kind of firearm in Iowa.

I found this and figured that I would share it in case someone was digging through the archives like me and found this to be incomplete.

483A.36 MANNER OF CONVEYANCE.
No person, except as permitted by law, shall have or carry a gun
in or on a vehicle on a public highway, unless the gun is taken down
or totally contained in a securely fastened case, and its barrels and
magazines are unloaded.

Per the DNR FAQ this does not apply to permit holders. Technically, Farmboy is right about the rifle on the bed of a truck, but only if the truck was on a public highway.

JD

I found this and figured that I would share it in case someone was digging through the archives like me and found this to be incomplete.

483A.36 MANNER OF CONVEYANCE.
No person, except as permitted by law, shall have or carry a gun
in or on a vehicle on a public highway, unless the gun is taken down
or totally contained in a securely fastened case, and its barrels and
magazines are unloaded.

Per the DNR FAQ this does not apply to permit holders. Technically, Farmboy is right about the rifle on the bed of a truck, but only if the truck was on a public highway.

That portion of code looks like the pre 2010/2011 code, where'd you find it?

This is the current code:

483A.36 Manner of conveyance .
A person, except as permitted by law, shall not have or carry a gun in or on a vehicle on a public highway, unless the gun is taken down or totally contained in a securely fastened case, and its barrels and attached magazines are unloaded.
It should also be noted that the above does not apply to pistols or revolvers.

483A.35 “Gun” defined.
The word “gun” as used in this chapter shall include every kind of a gun or rifle, except a revolver or pistol, and shall include those provided with pistol mountings which are designed to shoot shot cartridges.

Last edited: