• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

help, confusing

joshawa91

imported post

hi, i live in minn and am 18. i have a question, i was looking at the minnesota firearms app. it says "must be 18 years old to purchase a handgun or semiautomatic weapon military-style weapon from a licensed dealer, and under federal law must be 21 years old to acquire handguns from licensed dealers." here is where im confused. it says on page four(as stated above) that i must be 18, then says 21. which is it? any help will be appreciated.

oh, i know this is not "opne carry" but didnt know where to put it.

here is the link. http://www.dps.state.mn.us/bca/Forms/Documents/MNUniformFirearmApp.pdf

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

I snipped this from the application link you provided;

[align=left]
[/align]
[align=left]The following restrictions apply to the possession of firearms, to transferee permits, and reports of transfer for handguns and semiautomatic military-style assault weapons.
Must be at least 18 years old to purchase a handgun or semiautomatic military-style assault weapons from a licensed dealer, and under federal law must be at least 21 years old to acquire handguns from licensed dealers.[/align]
[align=left]
Hmm, that is confusing.
I know that in many states, you can own a handgun when under 21 years old, but you are usually prohibited from purchasing a handgun for an FFL dealer if under 21.
I believe there is also an age restriction for purchasing handgun ammunition.
[/align]
[align=left]Maybe someone in the Minnesota specific thread can help you out?[/align]

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

This is a confusing problem and there is a discussion in the Virginia form on this right now. The bottom line is that if you are buying a handgun from a FFL dealer (gun dealer) under federal law you must be older than 21. A lot of states have a different provision for the age requirement.

This age restriction MAY OR MAY NOT apply to sales between private individuals, it depends on your state laws.

I am not a lawyer, and this is not legal advice. If you have questions about the law you should ask a lawyer.

Regards

TheMrMitch

imported post

Must be at least 18 years old to purchase a handgun from a licensed dealer, and under federal law must be at least 21 years old to acquire handguns from licensed dealers.

That's simple double talk any way I read it. The STATE allows hand gunpurchase at 18 from a dealer which cannot be because FEDERAL says 21.

Or is it a mistake in printing? I deleted some to leave the gist.:question:

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

TheMrMitch wrote:
Must be at least 18 years old to purchase a handgun  from a licensed dealer, and under federal law must be at least 21 years old to acquire handguns from licensed dealers.

That's simple double talk any way I read it. The STATE allows hand gun purchase at 18 from a dealer which cannot be because FEDERAL says 21.

Or is it a mistake in printing? I deleted some to leave the gist.:question:

You got it right. It is not a misprint. We have been discussing this same issue in VIrginia. It is stupid, but that is how the law reads in a lot of places.

You think that is dumb. Take that same 18 year old, put him or her in military digitals, take them to Iraq, and the Federal Government will ISSUE them a handgun. :banghead:

So WHY NOT LET THEM HAVE ONE IN THE COUNTRY THEY ARRE FIGHTING FOR!!!:cuss:

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

Maybe it is a misquote?
I believe MN allows an 18 yr old to possess a handgun at age 18, but you just cannot buy one from an FFL. You may be able to legally purchase a handgun from a private seller, or have one gifted to you by a family member.

We commonly have cops under the age of 21 in this area, I know they are not allowed to buy ammunition for their handgun. Isn't that nice!!
There mom needs to buyammunition for them, but they are stillentrusted to enforce the law:banghead:

brokenbarrel

imported post

real simple background goes to the feds "FBI"-this means 18 for long guns and 21 for hand guns.Even if the state says ok for handguns at 18 feds will not clear it.Go by the fed rules and you'll be fine but now you can recieve not purchase a handgun at 18,Trust me i did armed security in california you can get the permit and carry a family members firearm at 18;but have to be 21 to buy your own dumb but true....

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

brokenbarrel wrote:
real simple background goes to the feds "FBI"-this means 18 for long guns and 21 for hand guns.Even if the state says ok for handguns at 18 feds will not clear it.Go by the fed rules and you'll be fine but now you can recieve not purchase a handgun at 18,Trust me i did armed security in california you can get the permit and carry a family members firearm at 18;but have to be 21 to buy your own dumb but true....

what does this post above mean?

of course 18 year olds can purchase handguns in most states - just has to be done in private sales.

rmansu2

imported post

The use of "purchase" and "acquire" leads me to believe that you can buy a handgun from a licensed FFL.

I'm no lawyer but, the way I read it,
"Must be at least 18 years old to purchase a handgun from a licensed dealer, and under federal law must be at least 21 years old to "recieve" handguns from licensed dealers."

You can buy it at 18 but can't leave with it until your 21. Maybe buy it and have your dad pick it up?