• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Alabama permit question - Reason?

AlabamaFamilyMan

imported post

I was told some sheriff's don't like the words 'self-defense', to say
personal protection, instead. Don't know for sure, got mine with
personal protection.

SlackwareRobert

imported post

I left everything blank except my name and vast criminal history.:cool:
No reason, No references, no problem.
I must admit I was surprised you don't need to sign it to affirm everything
is on the up and up. So I guess there is no penalty for putting false info
since they have no proof it was`you who filled out the false paperwork.

If you really want to fill in the blank, "Drive A Car" should suffice in this state.:cuss:

Redwolf

imported post

SFCRetired wrote:
All I've ever put was, "self-defense". The sheriffs that I have dealt with didn't really care as long as your background check came back clear.

I will also say that being AD when I got my first permit and being retired military when I got another one did not hurt at all. I noticed that I was treated with more courtesy and in a friendlier fashion than others who had no military experience.

Question is;Is that just my perception or has anyone else (not just in Alabama) noticed something similar?
I showed up in uniform asked about the permit. oh yea they wanted 25 dollars. I left the same day with my permit. and they did all the paper work. Did I mention they wanted the 25 dollars.

HungSquirrel

imported post

Mobile County didn't ask me for a reason, if I recall correctly. They demand to know who your employer is, for some moronic reason. Also, they (in theory) require you to have been a resident of the county for six months. That's funny! I was a resident of the county for a mere three weeks before I got mine. I was never asked how long I had been a resident, so the issue never came up. Same thing for the supposed requirement to produce a copy of your diploma/GED and two letters of reference if you're under 25 (I was 24). Typical government inefficiency. Of course, I'm years beyond those requirements now. :p

ruger22com

imported post

in Mobile county, all they do is run a standard nisc check (same as when buying a gun) and if you pass that..they shoot a photo, take your money and you walk out with a one year permit (they call it a pistol permit, not a CCW) that you can renew by mail the second year.

soloban

imported post

Ok. Follow-up question...the Madison Co. form requests three references, do they have to be local references, i.e. can I use friends from out of state?

Monkeytown

imported post

SlackwareRobert wrote:
I left everything blank except my name and vast criminal history.:cool:
No reason, No references, no problem.
I must admit I was surprised you don't need to sign it to affirm everything
is on the up and up. So I guess there is no penalty for putting false info
since they have no proof it was`you who filled out the false paperwork.

If you really want to fill in the blank, "Drive A Car" should suffice in this state.:cuss:
I wish I had thought of that!!

Kirbinator

imported post

My exact reason on filing was "ANY LAWFUL PURPOSE".... Of course, the clerk refused to process my application because I would not provide my SSN. I gave them exactly the information required by law: description, race, name, address.