• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

More Case Law on Police-Encounter Gun Seizures

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Citizen wrote:
Virginiaplanter wrote:
On a funny note you will notice one of the justices names. At first I used to think it was the guys real name, becasue it showed up so often as such:

Benton, J., dissenting.

Do a search of that phrase in quotes and see how many times Judge Dissenting's name comes up

Benton, J., dissenting Search

So far I've read two of his dissents. Gotta say he makes sense.

I'll have to add a new name to my list of desirable middle-names for newborn baby boys:
  • Courage
  • Danger
  • Hazard
  • Dissent
:)
Please assure us you are not planning on breeding?:what:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
Citizen wrote:
I'll have to add a new name to my list of desirable middle-names for newborn baby boys:
  • Courage
  • Danger
  • Hazard
  • Dissent
Only Manuel Lee. :lol:

Yata hey

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Hawkflyer wrote:
Citizen wrote:
  • Courage
  • Danger
  • Hazard
  • Dissent
Only Manuel Lee. :lol:

Yata hey
006-%5BLaughing%5D-%5BEmoticonKing.com%5D.gif

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
Citizen wrote:
SNIP I'll have to add a new name to my list of desirable middle-names for newborn baby boys:
  • Courage
  • Danger
  • Hazard
  • Dissent

Oh, come on!

Wouldn't it be great to be a young man and be able to say, "Danger? Ha! My middle name is Danger!"

One of the gunzine writers wanted to give the first two listed middle names to his boys. Its a great idea! (His wife didn't think so.)

nuc65

Activist Member
imported post

I think getting the woman to buy off on naming their child something manly would be the hard part... women don't have much of a sense of humor there. Unless maybe its something sick like moonbeam, I have always been partial to Spartacus, but Danger as a middle name would rank at the top in my book. :celebrate

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Citizen wrote:
Oh, come on!

Wouldn't it be great to be a young man and be able to say, "Danger? Ha! My middle name is Danger!"
Not sure if Rodney Field would agree with you. :)

Yata hey

TFred

imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
Citizen wrote:
Oh, come on!

Not sure if Rodney Dangerfield would agree with you. :)

Yata hey
Fixed it for you.
Well, no you actually broke it, because now it isn't funny any more.

TFred

wylde007

imported post

Citizen wrote:
My ex-drummer's stepson is named Maynard Danger Carawan.

I'm not even kidding. And that's exactly what I said when they told me.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

wylde007 wrote:
Citizen wrote:
My ex-drummer's stepson is named Maynard Danger Carawan.

I'm not even kidding. And that's exactly what I said when they told me.
Whatever happened to respectable names like Moonbeam,Windsong and Revolution?

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Dad: "What are the twins fighting about, now?"

Mom: "Oh, you know. Ever since you gave them those stupid names, now we always have to have Courage in the face of Danger."

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Citizen wrote:

Mom: "Oh, you know. Ever since you gave them those stupid names, now we always have to have Courage in the face of Danger."

Warning required in the future - dang near choked on my chicken wings. :lol:

Yata hey

user

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Citizen wrote:

Warning required in the future - dang near choked on my chicken wings. :lol:

Yata hey
Which reminds me of an historical anecdote that I did not get from Peabody's Improbable History. Back in the early days of Massachusetts Colony, there was a problem with witchcraft. It was believed, however, that it was nearly impossible to tell who was, or was not a witch, except for the fact that Satan protected his minions from minor physical harm. So at the communal meals, people would eye each other suspiciously in order to see who choked on food and who did not. People would gag themselves intentionally on chicken bones to prove that they were not witches. But, being a fair minded and objective group, they realized that a failure to choke was not, in itself, evidence of an inability to choke. So they devised a second test: the ducking stool. Anyone who, having been strapped to the stool at the end of a long lever and ducked into the pond, was unable to drown, must be a witch. (There were some innocent bystanders who were unfortunately drowned, but their "stochastic deaths" were for the good of society.) Then, of course, they'd take the witch out and burn them. Which led to the old saying, "Duck'em if they can't fake a choke!"

But back to the original line of this multi-threaded conversation, I note that the defendant, carrying a gun in his hand, walked past a cop who recognized him and knew that the defendant had a prior conviction for a felony. I'd say it was all over at that point, because that alone gave the cop probable cause to arrest and perform a search incidental to the arrest. That seems like a slam-dunk for the prosecution to me.

IanB

imported post

How's this for a blast from the past?

nakedshoplifter wrote:
Fairfax County Resident Accidentally Shoots Himself

The Fairfax Times Dispatch
Saturday, April 28, 2007; 10:40 PM

According to Fairfax Co. police a resident accidentally discharged a loaded firearm into his foot Saturday night while trying to unload it. A 37 year old man is in the hospital with non life threatening injuries and is expected to make a full recovery. The accident happened after the man visited an ABC store and purchased an expensive bottle of scotch at the behest of his friends who recommended it. Later on, he told police he was watching a zombie movie on television and wanted to practice "dry firing" at the T.V. set. While attempting to unload his firearm the accident occurred. Police are not expecting any charges.

wylde007

imported post

I suppose it would have been better if he'd unsuccessfully "cleared" his weapon and then "dry fired" a round through his television set?

Five rules of guns safety: FAIL

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

wylde007 wrote:
I suppose it would have been better if he'd unsuccessfully "cleared" his weapon and then "dry fired" a round through his television set?

Five rules of guns safety: FAIL
More like a fail of "Rules of Forum Safety."

Rule #3: "Don't give NakedShopLifter ammunition."

It is an invented "news" story from a couple years ago. Hawkflyer was recommending I try a certain brand of scotch. I went out and bought some the same evening.I reported back the same evening that I liked it, likedit a lotfeigning drunkness with lots of misspelled words.

Naked chimed in with the newstoryyou see above.

As I recall, even at that time a couple people fell for it. I can't believe he is stillable to reel in people after all this time.