• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Lakewood Officer Memorial

TechnoWeenie

imported post

Pictures of flag draped coffins is a no-no...

And did you REALLY have to take a pic of the back of my head?

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I already PM him...

and did my research.... there is no such rule....

however, there was a rule under the Bush Admin. for the media to not do such a thing at Dover.

As you noticed, I pretty much stopped taking pics at the beginning of the memorial out of respect. Although flash bulbs went off the entire time.

Funeral Flag rules... http://www.ushistory.org/betsy/faq.htm#f4

TechnoWeenie

imported post

gogodawgs wrote:
I already PM him...

however, there was a rule under the Bush Admin. for the media to not do such a thing at Dover.

As you noticed, I pretty much stopped taking pics at the beginning of the memorial out of respect. Although flash bulbs went off the entire time.

As I PM'ed you... There is no 'rule' or 'law', just ettiquette...

joeroket

imported post

TechnoWeenie wrote:
gogodawgs wrote:
I already PM him...

As you noticed, I pretty much stopped taking pics at the beginning of the memorial out of respect.  Although flash bulbs went off the entire time.

As I PM'ed you... There is no 'rule' or 'law', just ettiquette...

Do you have a cite for this rule of etiquette? I have yet to see any professional photographer or media outlet follow this.

jarhead1911A

imported post

Although tragic it makes me sick the the people of the US do not show this much support for fallen soldier,Marines,Airman&Seaman. The fallen Military make way less money and have a hell of a lot more dangerous job. And we do not honor them for there sacrifice.

4 Officers die via gun man, 30 soldiers die via IED and ambush and we dont close down roads for them or have a 10 miles funeral presession for them........

Stretch

imported post

Those folks hold the US Flags are at every military funeral they are invited to. Any person can join them, nothing required as far as previous service or owning a motorcycle. Only one requirement, respect.

joeroket

imported post

jarhead1055 wrote:
Although tragic it makes me sick the the people of the US do not show this much support for fallen soldier,Marines,Airman&Seaman. The fallen Military make way less money and have a hell of a lot more dangerous job. And we do not honor them for there sacrifice.

4 Officers die via gun man, 30 soldiers die via IED and ambush and we dont close down roads for them or have a 10 miles funeral presession for them........
We were just talking about this at work. It is sickening that they all are not honored in the way that they should be.

The only thing I can think of is that LEO are killed much less frequently than Military so it is more news worthy in the eyes of the media.

G20-IWB24/7

imported post

TechnoWeenie wrote:
Pictures of flag draped coffins is a no-no...

As a funeral director (my full-time employ), I can tell you there is no rule that prohibits the photography of a flag-draped CASKET. A 'coffin' is 6- or 8-sided, a casket is 4-sided.

n16ht5

imported post

jarhead1055 wrote:
Although tragic it makes me sick the the people of the US do not show this much support for fallen soldier,Marines,Airman&Seaman. The fallen Military make way less money and have a hell of a lot more dangerous job.  And we do not honor them for there sacrifice.

4 Officers die via gun man,  30 soldiers die via IED and ambush and we dont close down roads for them or have a 10 miles funeral presession for them........

+10000