• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

SPD Firearm Recovery

Nosferatu

imported post

So I tend to read more then I post but I do know this to be a place of a lot of knowledge and a couple more minds would be welcome. It is a little long mainly on the off chance one of the details proves useful in resolving this.

So here is my odd ongoing experience with OC/CPL and SPD. On September 23rd I just got home from the range (Sadly no ammo) with my RIA 1911 in a Springfield paddle holster and started the grill on my porch sat on the top of the steps in front of my APT waiting for it to heat up. I finished my cigarette noticed my neighbor was outside where the path splits to our respective doors. A minute later I stood up started to turn to grab my drink and lighter. I then got a good push as a felt a tug on my weapon. Sadly this was the only moment that my weapon was open. I managed to not go down the stairs but not remove him from my weapon. Then as I turn around I see him holding a ball headed shepherds staff and my weapon. He says “This is mine now you need to leave." My reply of course is that he will return my weapon to me. He then swings at my head with the staff which I managed to duck. I use my S.O.G knife because it’s all I have as a distraction to close the distance, disarm him from my weapon and lock him up due to the staff’s length. Taking a good couple blows to my defending right arm and back. I then sent him about 10-15 feet to the right using the force to go left roll and recover my weapon. He then starts to come back with the staff getting ready for an over head swing. At which point I raise, level, aim, take the safety off the weapon. I then firmly told him that if he came at me again that I would shoot being that the glancing blows I got did some good damage I figure the head of the staff was easily heavy enough to crack a skull wide open. At this point he chose to back down and release his staff. I then return my weapon to its holster and proceed to call the police.

At this point I see my neighbor stepson on the phone with 911 as well. I was instructed to come out to the drive way with my weapon in its holster. I go outside as directed my neighbor refuses. I get out there and have a shotgun an AR-15 and 6 pistols trained on me. (Was shocked at 4 doubled cars showing up) They tell me to lie down on the ground which at this point is no easy task adrenaline is fading pain and ache is seeping in. I end up on the ground ("helped" by two officers) they remove my weapon and my knife as expected then I have a SGT who decides to put the barrel of the shotgun in my back and lean on it till I cry mercy took him a couple shouts to notice. I end up being helped up shortly by a rookie who forgot to release the wrist lock until I mentioned it. The other officers ask to take a peek in my apt to clear the area in terms of people as they are also heading to grab my neighbor who was still refusing to come out. The rookie then tried to tell me that open carry is illegal. I explain that it isn’t and that I also have a CPL he tries taking the line that if it causes alarm its illegal. Just as I was about to finish explaining that that was not exactly true his SGT shows up and says to the rookie "You might want to stop he is right" I wanted to laugh. They take my information run my id, CPL, and firearm registration. This of course is all in order. My neighbor is then arrested. This is where things start to get a little odd. I end up having pictures taken of all the bruises to my back and arm etc. Each officer then takes a turn talking to me about why I have a pistol and cpl all but one making positive comments about exercising my rights. The fire dept shows up puts my right wrist into a vacuum cast and lets my wife drive me to the ER after they are done. The lead officer then comes and asks if they can hold my weapon citing that it’s to check damage, photo’s etc takes cost and all that info also said it was standard to at least take it for a day if there is a domestic disturbance. He then states that it will not be held for more then a week. I get my case number (which was wrong) and the officer helps me get back to my APT.

So a week goes by and I go to the prescient to get my items and correct info. There I do get the right case number but find out that my weapon and knife have been checked in as evidence and the only one who can release it is the lead officer. Who ends up then going out sick for a week then is just missing for the second week. Ifind out that the case has been sent to robbery from other officers. I get a hold of robbery and they say they have it and will assign a detective the following Monday which sounds good but I was supposed to be called the Monday after the incident and no one did. Two weeks passes I call again this time the same SGT who was so helpful goes into a rant about how the items are being held for longer being that he doesn’t like the fact that my weapon left my person. (Which neither do I for the record can not stand that someone got the drop on me but that I get to learn from) He also then goes on about having a firearm at my age (21) and that I was OC'ing. Finishing with asking if I have had any training which is yes but I don’t see how that’s a legal stance for holding my items. Neither is my age or his feeling.

At this point I decide to climb the ladder and get a hold of his Lt who does assign a detective who calls 20 min after I finish with the Lt. He also can not explain the situation on how my weapon was taken and classified. I have looked through their books and cant find anything close to how this happened. He finished saying that the case has had issues because "spider" crashed on their new systems. I talk with the detective and give my statement. This also includes what I found out a few days before which is my neighbor has not had his own power of attorney for the last 20 years due to mental illness. I ended with that due to my neighbor’s illness and the fact that he is being evicted back to the care of a family member that I have no wish to pursue the charges and would much prefer to get on and past this.

Then everything goes quiet for a while I lookup that my neighbor went to court and no charges were filed because no paper work had been sent to the prosecutors dept. He also takes the time to disappear leaving all his stuff and a beat to hell truck. So as of now the PD says that everything is out of their hands they can not do anything until the prosecutor’s office is done. I got a hold of the lead officer on scene who cant release my items with out paperwork from the prosecutors office. The prosecutor’s office says they have the case somewhere but can never can give any information or even give me a person/department where it is. Lastly like always no one ever calls back ever. I really would just like my 1911 and knife back and I am now completely out of ideas on steps to take short of a lawyer that I can not really afford. Any ideas are most welcome.

massivedesign

imported post

Wow... Just Wow..

1) Never wear an unloaded pistol
2) Buy a better retention holster
3) Be more aware of your surroundings
4) Learn holster grab defense tactics
5) So, he had your empty gun in one hand, a stick in the other and he still beat the snot out of you?

If it was me, and I knew the gun was empty.. I just would have called the cops and followed him around. I would not have had to use a use of force and mad ninja skills to disarm him.

Now, if the gun was loaded, then you would be dead. You need to think about that seriously. DEAD. WITH YOUR OWN GUN. You seriously need to either further your training, further your retention policies, or hold off carrying for a while.

And about your 1911.. Get a lawyer. One letter, done.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

massivedesign wrote:
Wow... Just Wow..

1) Never wear an unloaded pistol
2) Buy a better retention holster
3) Be more aware of your surroundings
4) Learn holster grab defense tactics
5) So, he had your empty gun in one hand, a stick in the other and he still beat the snot out of you?

If it was me, and I knew the gun was empty.. I just would have called the cops and followed him around. I would not have had to use a use of force and mad ninja skills to disarm him.

Now, if the gun was loaded, then you would be dead. You need to think about that seriously. DEAD. WITH YOUR OWN GUN. You seriously need to either further your training, further your retention policies, or hold off carrying for a while.

And about your 1911.. Get a lawyer. One letter, done.

Ok...sure he made some mistakes, but he is not the criminal here. If someone grabbed my gun and had a staff I am not going to turn my back on him.

My guess is the prosecutor is looking for a way to charge you for something. Get a lawyer quick if you can.

Batousaii

imported post

If the case is dropped, and firearms doesn't return, or is damaged, take them to small claims for a couple grand and get a new pistol. They should not have been holding your pistol without cause. Sounds like the PD is being over zealous and playing games.

Just my thought.

Welcome to OCDO - Sorry your experience was a bad one, and i hope foryour fast recovery.

Bat

amzbrady

imported post

Did you get to turn off your grill or did it run out of propane as all this went down. Hope the steaks didnt go to waste. Good luck, hope you get your weapon back soon, since I started to carry I would hate to be left without.

amlevin

imported post

go talk to a lawyer. The first 30 minutes or so are usually free. This will give the attorney some facts and he can then decide if you have a legitimate case that he can file and make his fee on contingency (where he gets paid from any money collected). It would seem that an attorney would be able to get a writ from a judge that would order the SPD to return your gun and knife if they are unlawfully being held. That would not be that expensive and would clearly cut through any BS.

grishnav

imported post

*clap clap clap* best troll I've ever seen, congratulations sir. If not for my years and years of interwebs experience, I would have been sucked in, too.

kito109654

imported post

grishnav wrote:
*clap clap clap* best troll I've ever seen, congratulations sir. If not for my years and years of interwebs experience, I would have been sucked in, too.
I'm not gonna venture there yet but one certainly has to wonder...

Solar

imported post

Troll? Wtf? How is this at all trollish? I do not think that word means what you think it means.

1245A Defender

imported post

Solar wrote:
Troll? Wtf? How is this at all trollish? I do not think that word means what you think it means.

i think hes just a story teller.... if i just came back from the range....the last thing i would do... is shoot up ALL my ammo....

to come on here and tell the forum that i didnt keep at least a mag full of ammo for self defence...it just doesnt make a good story....

unless youre a troll!

TechnoWeenie

imported post

Well, a n00b WOULD OC without retention,not know retention techniques,burn all his ammo, carry an unloaded gun, etc etc...

So he's either a troll, or stupid...

:uhoh:

Solar

imported post

Define Troll in your own words please. Anyone have an official description?

from wikipedia:

Troll (Internet), an internet term for a person who willfully, through obscene, offensive or hateful actions (a.k.a. "trolling"), attempts to disrupt a community or garner reactions, attention and controversy

grishnav

imported post

Solar wrote:
Define Troll in your own words please. Anyone have an official description?

There is no official definition.

from wikipedia:

Troll (Internet), an internet term for a person who willfully, through obscene, offensive or hateful actions (a.k.a. "trolling"), attempts to disrupt a community or garner reactions, attention and controversy
That's what noob tolls do. Experienced interweb trolls take a page from fishermen:

a. To fish for by trailing a baited line from behind a slowly moving boat.

Of course, the thing he's trying to catch isn't fish, but you. Catch you and drag you into his silly joke. ;)

That alternative, of course, is that the dubious honor of being the first OC'er to lose a gun goes to the Washington OCDO forum. Gratz on that, guys.

I believe he is a troll for three reasons:

1. Outlandish story that is just inside the realm of believability.
2. Brand new user making first post. Also in this category, hasn't posted since.
3. None of the facts are independently verifiable.

To expand on 1: I mean, he admits right at the beginning that his story is "odd." This is a big tipoff that what you're about to read is a fabrication. I mean, think about it: If this had happened to me, I'd be ticked, and "odd" isn't the word I'd use to describe the experience. I'd be talking felony theft of a firearm, lack of justice, eroding freedoms. I'd be calling the bureaucrats all sorts of not-so-nice names. I wouldn't say, "Hey guys, I've got an odd story for you." It's the tone of the story in general, the style of writing, the arrangement of the details in the account. Obviously this is a subjective thing, but to me, it just doesn't read like a true account; it reads like a fiction. A good fiction, mind you, but a fiction nonetheless.

To expand on 3: I mean, come on. If there's one thing bureaucrats are good at, it's paperwork. We're supposed to believe they screwed the case number up and lost all the paperwork? Especially in the absence of an illegal act on the part of the police? I mean, I can see them "losing" the paperwork if the thin blue line was wrapping around another police officer to shield him from his liability in an illegal act, but it doesn't sound like they did anything blatantly career-threatening here. Bureaucrats are incompetent at most anything they do, but unnecessary paperwork isn't one of those things. Besides that, SPD loves to make lots of noise about anything firearms-related that happens, and yet, no mention of anything at all like this on the blotter?

Try as I might, it's hard to be specific. Years of myself trolling troll-infested forums like 4chan and Genmay have left me with a pretty finely tuned interweb BS detector; and it's going off. Even them name, Nosferatu, vampire, a mythical creature that feeds off the life of others... I may be wrong. He may just be a lurker. He did join months ago, after all. I may be getting a bad hit on his writing style. He may have an unusually vivid memory. Who knows. It wouldn't be the first time, and certainly won't be the last.

Post the pictures of the injuries. Scan the police report and put it up. Even just leave us the corrected case number, and, when I have a chance to visit the records office and get a copy of the report, I'll be inclined to buy it.

But until then...

A+++++ excellent troll. will giggle again.

.45ACPaddy

imported post

grishnav wrote:
Years of myself trolling troll-infested forums like 4chan and Genmay have left me with a pretty finely tuned interweb BS detector; and it's going off. Even them name, Nosferatu, vampire, a mythical creature that feeds off the life of others...
4chan? Really? You too?

And I thought I'd be the only one.

Also, in terms of the name Nosferatu, I recognize it from a role playing game I play on Saturday nights. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nosferatu_(World_of_Darkness)

grishnav

imported post

More like how you can not discover it? 4chan takes over other popular forums, is responsible for 90+% of all internet memes (having easily surpassed previous meme sources like Genmay and Something Awful), and is generally full of obnoxious teenagers seeking attention. They've made every major news network, and even coordinated a prank against the Times Top 100 Most Influential list: http://www.cio.com/article/490160/4chan_Hackers_Attack_Time_100_Poll_of_Most_Influential_People

That hack in itself is amazingly noteworthy not only for it's technical difficulty, but for the fact that it required mobilizing a force of completely uncooperative and immature people.

You'd have to be living under a rock not to have heard of 4chan. :p

ETA: Marblecake, by the way, is an (offensive?) reference to a homosexual sexual act, which is typical 4-chan style. "also the game," is, of course, a reference to The Game, which is intended to cause epic loss of The Game. (Doing things that are epic is also very 4-chan style.)

.45ACPaddy

imported post

Never said it was hard to discover. I'm sure that anyone who knows of rickrolling or the Time magazine MARBLECAKE ALSO THE GAME prank knows who was (phone) behind it.

Maybe some of my friends are just really really sheltered, or just don't get on the net except for facebook and myspace, or just don't look into things.

I first discovered it about 5 years ago when my cousin was showing me where to get wallpapers. Then I stumbled into the board labeled "Random"

Life has never been the same since.

How did you first come across it though? A friend? Random clicking or searching?

grishnav

imported post

G22Paddy wrote:
Never said it was hard to discover. I'm sure that anyone who knows of rickrolling or the Time magazine MARBLECAKE ALSO THE GAME prank knows who was (phone) behind it.

Maybe some of my friends are just really really sheltered, or just don't get on the net except for facebook and myspace, or just don't look into things.

I first discovered it about 5 years ago when my cousin was showing me where to get wallpapers. Then I stumbled into the board labeled "Random"

Life has never been the same since.

How did you first come across it though? A friend? Random clicking or searching?
I honestly don't recall. Probably through Genmay or Something Awful. I don't really visit it that often, but sometimes when I'm bored it's fun to check in on the lulz.