• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Actually, you Colonials can help we undeserving Brits.

David Turner

imported post

Now, I'm very new to the gun lobby, so I don't know all the arguments that you chaps use.

I've never owned a firearm, and I'm just fiftyyears old, now.

About a million years ago, I was allowed to carry one as a squaddie; but once I left the army, I was rendered instantly unworthy of that trust.

The last couple of years has seen me taking a hard look at the way my Country is run and the influence that we ordinary Citizens wield. And, I have to tell you, I don't like what I see.

Whilst I've been educating myself in the "ways of the world", I've taken a fancy to your Constitution and Billof Rights. And, of those Rights, the First and Second amendments seem particularly attractive.

It's a long slog from ignorance to Democracy and the first step for us is education. The English people (at least, the ones that I know) are just unaware of our own Bill of Rights. I was.

I tested this, just today. My friend is now 66 years old. He is privately-educated and an ex-Officer of the Royal Navy. He should know, shouldn't he?

You probably won't be surprised to hear that he was a bit baffled when I asked him about an English Bill of Rights. After a little thought, he managed, "Do you mean the Magna Carta?" That Bill of Rights already provides us with the RKBA. But political policies forbid us from exercising that right.

I didn't go to a posh school, just a State-run Grammar school. Democracy just wasn't on the agenda. It was a case of "teacher walks in, grunts, begins writing on blackboard...pupils copy slavishly...teacher grunts, walks out."

Anyway, to cut short a long andtedious story, the last couple of years has sparked an interest in change within the English.Given the right stimulus,we might even begin to challenge the Establishment and vote for a political party which isn't one of the two prominent ones.

The question for you, my friends, is how do we get the message across to the "man-in-the-street"?

I have an idea of my own, which I'll publish in a later letter. Right now, I have to put the spuds on to boil.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

David Turner wrote:
SNIP The question for you, my friends, is how do we get the message across to the "man-in-the-street"?

Political activism has its own "science."

There is the message--whatever message. Separate from the message is how to get it across and persuade people.

You might have a look at some of this:

http://www.gunlaws.com/Tactics%20That%20Work.htm

David Turner

imported post

Thanks, I'll take a look.

Meanwhile, I was wondering whether a very short video might help to further our cause. In the UK, we are not allowed to mention guns or gun clubs in MSM advertising , btw. So much for the First Amendment!

A video could be distributed by Youtube, email and the like.

So, I have drawn up a sort of "sketch" of how I envisage my little video. Please don't take the Mickey. My little effort is not at all professional, I know. It is supposed to give the flavour of the idea, that's all. BTW, I have no ability to produce such a video to a decent standard...it is important that the result is professional, I think.

Here goes...hope you don't think it's too corny.

[align=center]Video “the choice”
[/align]

[align=center][/align]

1. Set the scene. Supermarket car park – busy with ordinary people loading shopping, etc.
  2. Narrator (N) and cameraman approach ashopper and ask whether she has a minute to spend in evaluating a hypothetical situation…ordinary woman, about 35. (an actress)
  3. N asks her name. Sally. Then asks her to imagine this. (N has a creepy voice, like Hannibal Lecter).
  4. N sets scene. Sally at home. Night. Alone in bed.
  5. Cut to owl, which looks around; sudden and startled.
  6. Downstairs cat is sleeping.
  7. Suddenly, loud bang, cat leaps up in alarm.
  8. Sally woken by loud banging. She springs awake. Glances at bedside clock.
  9. Cut to clock. 03.25 .
  10. Cut to heavy boots kicking in lower door panel at rear of house.
  11. Cat is cowering in corner of room. Spitting, maybe.
  12. Cut to Sally’s reaction. Dimly-lit bedroom. Startled and concerned.
  13. Cut to N “you hear the sounds of someone in the kitchen”
  14. Cut to heavy boots and legs crawling into house via ruined panel in back door.
  15. Cut to boots stalking through kitchen.
  16. Cut to cutlery draw being opened with stealth. Knives glint in moonlight.
  17. Cut to N “now he’s in the living room, Sally”
  18. Cut to darkened room. Boots on carpet, walking past everyday furnishings.
  19. N “he is trashing the living room”
  20. Cut to drawer being ripped from sideboard. Vase knocked to floor. Flowers trampled by big boots. Heavy, tattooed arm.
  21. Cat races past the boots and out the door.
  22. Sally’s reaction…now fear, fumbles for spectacles and knocks glass of wine to floor. Red stain on cream carpet, in close-up and slo-mo.
  23. N “ he’s on the stairs, Sally”
  24. Cut to heavy boots on staircase, ascending slowly and deliberately. Heavy, laboured, breathing. The man’s hairy hand comes into top of shot. He has a kitchen knife.
  25. N “in just a few seconds, he’ll be at the bedroom’ door”
  26. Cut to Sally’s-eye view of bedroom door. Closed, but ominous in the darkened room.
  27. Cut to Sally’s face for reaction. (Sally in bed, that is) Fear
  28. Cut to door handle being tried.
  29. N “now, Sally, it’s time to make your choice.”
  30. Cut to interviewer producing portable phone and pistol, one in each hand, in close-up.
  31. Cut to close-up of woman’s face (car-park Sally)
  32. N “It’s time to choose, Sally. Take your pick”
  33. Cut to her face again for reaction. Horror as she looks from gun to phone and tries to decide.
  34. Rapid cuts Gun to Phone to Face
  35. Cut to darkened bedroom. Door bursts wide open…shadowy large figure. Knife is just visible.
  36. Fade to “There’s not just one gun-culture” or “Who will protect Sally”, or “Decent people have the right to self-defence”.

Now, I’ve not done this before and I recognise that there are more scenes and details to be inserted. But, as a basis for a short video, what do you think?

The video might then contain a more conventional, brief explanation of some of the pertinent facts wrt firearms and the police...not too much. The idea is to stimulate debate.

What I want to know is whether you think that this would be effective. Does it promote the right sort of message? Could it be done in time to stimulate debate prior to the next election? (May 2010)

Feel free to rip it apart.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Your video layout sounds like a good one. It's quite similar to a query I use on anti-bunners here in the States. They never will answer with a "choice".

Here's a couple of things to take a look at for comparison.

2008the US Supreme Court ruled agaisnt the District of Columbia in Heller vs. DC. Prior to the case, DC gun laws prohibited from having a firearm in the home that was assembled and loaded. DC residence were also not allowed to own semi-automatic handguns. Home invasions (such as the one in your proposed video presentation) and homicdes were a serious epodemic in DC. After Heller vs. DC those prohibitions were lifted. In the first 9 months of 2009, there was asignificantreduction in homides and home invasions. Such criminal activity had now become very hazardous....to the criminals....rahter than the victems.

Currently, Chicago, Ill.has the most restictive gun laws in the nation, and the highest crime rates as well.Handgun ownership is banned in Chicago,. If you use a firearm to defend yourself you may very well end up in prison. That may be changing soon, after the US Supreme Court hears McDonald vs. Chicago. If the rulling is against Chicago, residence will be able to own handguns for self-defense. We'll also see the crime rates go down there as well.

As you can see, restrictive gun laws have not worked out so well in this country, any better than they have in yours.

David Turner

imported post

Right, here is a slightly more sophisticated version. I've dispensed with the narrator and the story stands alone. This time, she has a gun.

[align=center]The choice (2)[/align]

[align=center][/align]
  1. …Sally in car. Dark evening. Driving home…rain, headlights, She’s tired after a long day.
  2. …Arrives at darkened home. Lights out. No other vehicles. (no-one else there) Wide shot illustrates isolation of her home…neighbours lights a ¼ mile away.
  3. …Shot from hallway. Sally opens door and enters wearily, Fumbles for light-switch. Dumps coat and handbag.
  4. …Sally locks door and slides bolt…security-conscious
  5. …Warm living room; paraphernalia of normal life. Cat. All very homely. Sally interrogates answering machine and we learn her name. “Hey, Sally, it’s Steph… Sally smiles.
  6. …Cut to outdoors. Rain. Darkness. Pair of muddy boots and man’s legs in jeans; all stationary amongst foliage. Crackle as he crushes beer-can and lets it fall. (Yes, it’s Mr Boots, again)
  7. …Living room and camera pans to kitchen doorway. Open, bright. Sally busy cooking.
  8. …Sally relaxed and sleepy on sofa. Dishes on coffee table. Opened bottle of wine. Dozing in front of telly.
  9. …Sally close-up; determines to act. Grabs bottle and glass. Hits remote to switch off telly and heads for bed.
  10. …Sally in bed., desperately trying to stay awake with her book. Sips wine.
  11. …Sally quits. Puts book aside. Takes off spectacles and snuggles down. Arm reaches out to hit the bedside light.
  12. …Outside, the rain has stopped. Boots now have several empty cans around them. Stream of hot urine.
  13. …Owl. Sleeping cat. Bang. Cat springs awake.
  14. …Outside back door. Heavy boots kick at door panel. Boom Boom.
  15. …Sally awakes in alarm. Fumbles for light switch.
  16. …Boots and legs disappear through hole in ruined door panel.
  17. …Sally is alarmed by the noise downstairs. Grabs spectacles and nearly bends them in haste to put them on.
  18. …Close up clock. 01.50. Clock’s second hand moves deliberately and inexorably. (can a hand move inexorably?) In her haste, her wine glass is overturned. Bright red wine spills to cream carpet in slo-mo. Glass tumbles silently.
  19. …Kitchen. Darkened. Meaty arms open knife drawer. Big belly, filthy tee-shirt.
  20. …Sally opens curtain. Peers out. Nothing. Draws back and reaches for telephone.
  21. …Close up of phone as she dials 999. Then ring tone.
  22. …Man’s booted feet advance across living room. Sally’s possessions contemptuously kicked aside…her cat screams as a boot catches it a hefty blow. It flees.
  23. …Sally hears. Becoming frantic. Stares at door. Only this thin sheet of wood stands between her and the intruder.
  24. …Close-up of telephone. Ring tone. Then operator, “Emergency; which service do you require?” (Do they still say that?)
  25. ….Boots on staircase now. Heavy, laboured breathing as man in poor shape clomps up the stairs. Sally’s pictures on wall. Mum, Dad and Sally. Sally with Cat. Man’s hand comes into view from top of shot. Has a knife.
  26. …Sally. Voice desperate and hissed. Trying to explain the urgency and to state her address. Sally is backed away from the door, now.
  27. …Shot of bedroom door from landing. Heavy hand grasps handle deliberately and throws door open noisily.
  28. …Sally’s perspective. She hears the door thrown open, but…it’s not her’s. The man has gone to the second bedroom.
  29. …Sally clutches phone even tighter, “please, please, help me”. There are tears in her eyes, now. She can hear the sounds of the man in the next room. Then silence.
  30. …Sally transfixed at the sight of her bedroom door. The handle begins to turn.
  31. …Sally’s left hand reaches down for the drawer of her bedside cabinet and fumbles with the handle.
  32. …Door handle stops moving as it reaches extent of its travel.
  33. …Sally’s hand is fumbling in the drawer of the cabinet. Her eyes are transfixed by the door handle. Terror.
  34. …Bang, the door is thrust open. Shadowy large figure. Glint of steel.
  35. …Close-up of Sally’s hand as it clenches around chrome pistol. Telephone tumbles from her grasp in slo-mo and bounces on cream carpet, shattering. Useless.

Then, the message comes up.”Sally has a choice. Do you?” ….or whatever.

OK. This second attempt dispenses with the narrator. It’s a bit more sophisticated, in that it stands alone. Still playing on fears, of course; I suppose that such invasions are still relatively rare. But, hey, people buy National lottery tickets and what are the odds of winning?

David Turner

imported post

Reading through the link "Tactics that work"... it's unfortunate that many of those pre-suppose some reasonable level of gun ownership.

However, there are some good ones.I especially like the"go to dinner".I wonder whetherit would be possible toextend an invitation to like-minded people in my community...meet up at a given venue. Sure, to begin, many would stay away for fear of being labelled as "nutters" or some such. But, I wonder...

That has gotten me thinking.

David Turner

imported post

David Turner wrote:
Right, here is a slightly more sophisticated version. I've dispensed with the narrator and the story stands alone. This time, she has a gun.

[align=center]The choice (2)[/align]

[align=center][/align]
  1. …Sally in car. Dark evening. Driving home…rain, headlights, She’s tired after a long day.
  2. …Arrives at darkened home. Lights out. No other vehicles. (no-one else there) Wide shot illustrates isolation of her home…neighbours lights a ¼ mile away.
  3. …Camera-shot from hallway. Sally opens door and enters wearily, Fumbles for light-switch. Dumps coat and handbag.
  4. …Sally locks door and slides bolt…security-conscious
  5. …Warm living room; paraphernalia of normal life. Cat. All very homely. Sally interrogates answering machine and we learn her name. “Hey, Sally, it’s Steph… Sally smiles.
  6. …Cut to outdoors. Rain. Darkness. Pair of muddy boots and man’s legs in jeans; all stationary amongst foliage. Crackle as he crushes beer-can and lets it fall. (Yes, it’s Mr Boots, again)
  7. …Living room and camera pans to kitchen doorway. Open, bright. Sally busy cooking.
  8. …Sally relaxed and sleepy on sofa. Dishes on coffee table. Opened bottle of wine. Dozing in front of telly.
  9. …Sally close-up; determines to act. Grabs bottle and glass. Hits remote to switch off telly and heads for bed.
  10. …Sally in bed., desperately trying to stay awake with her book. Sips wine.
  11. …Sally quits. Puts book aside. Takes off spectacles and snuggles down. Arm reaches out to hit the bedside light.
  12. …Outside, the rain has stopped. Boots now have several empty cans around them. Stream of hot urine.
  13. …Owl. Sleeping cat. Bang. Cat springs awake.
  14. …Outside back door. Heavy boots kick at door panel. Boom Boom.
  15. …Sally awakes in alarm. Fumbles for light switch.
  16. …Boots and legs disappear through hole in ruined door panel.
  17. …Sally is alarmed by the noise downstairs. Grabs spectacles and nearly bends them in haste to put them on.
  18. …Close up clock. 01.50. Clock’s second hand moves deliberately and inexorably. (can a hand move inexorably?) In her haste, her wine glass is overturned. Bright red wine spills to cream carpet in slo-mo. Glass tumbles silently.
  19. …Kitchen. Darkened. Meaty arms open knife drawer. Big belly, filthy tee-shirt.
  20. …Sally opens curtain. Peers out. Nothing. Draws back and reaches for telephone.
  21. …Close up of phone as she dials 999. Then ring tone.
  22. …Man’s booted feet advance across living room. Sally’s possessions contemptuously kicked aside…her cat screams as a boot catches it a hefty blow. It flees.
  23. …Sally hears. Becoming frantic. Stares at door. Only this thin sheet of wood stands between her and the intruder.
  24. …Close-up of Sally's face withtelephone at her ear. Impatience. Ring tone. Then operator, “Emergency; which service do you require?” (Do they still say that?)
  25. ….Boots on staircase now. Heavy, laboured breathing as man in poor shape clomps up the stairs. Sally’s pictures on wall. Mum, Dad and Sally. Sally with Cat. Man’s hand comes into view from top of shot. Has a knife.
  26. …Sally. Voice desperate and hissed. Trying to explain the urgency and to state her address. She is being asked to "spell that last name, please".Sally is backed away from the door, now.
  27. …Shot of bedroom door from landing. Heavy hand grasps handle deliberately and throws door open noisily.
  28. …Sally’s perspective. She hears the door thrown open, but…it’s not her’s. The man has gone to the second bedroom.
  29. …Sally clutches phone even tighter, “please, please, help me”. There are tears in her eyes, now. She can hear the sounds of the man in the next room. Then silence.
  30. …Sally transfixed at the sight of her bedroom door. The handle begins to turn.
  31. …Sally’s left hand reaches down for the drawer of her bedside cabinet and fumbles with the handle.
  32. …Door handle stops moving as it reaches extent of its travel. Operator says that she must put Sally on hold for a moment.
  33. …Sally’s hand is fumbling in the drawer of the cabinet. Her eyes are transfixed by the door handle. Terror.
  34. …Bang, the door is thrust open. Shadowy large figure. Glint of steel.
  35. …Close-up of Sally’s hand as it clenches around chrome pistol. Telephone tumbles from her grasp in slo-mo and bounces on cream carpet, shattering. Useless.

Then, the message comes up.”Sally has a choice. Do you?” ….or whatever.

OK. This second attempt dispenses with the narrator. It’s a bit more sophisticated, in that it stands alone. Still playing on fears, of course; I suppose that such invasions are still relatively rare. But, hey, people buy National lottery tickets and what are the odds of winning?

suntzu

imported post

Have you considered trying to start up a pro gun ownership program--something similar to the "NRA"--while I'm not a member of the NRA--and while a lot of people do not like the NRA--the concept is still solid. You could also gather signatures on petitions and present them to your members of parliament--go on a telephone and letter writing campaign, write letters to every paper you can think of, get others to do the same, use facts to counter the antis baseless arguments, stress the high crime rates in the UK, stress the failure of the gun ban, stress that criminals still can get guns while only the law abiding are punished, stress that the people have a right to defend themselves against violent criminals. Stress the complete failure of your government.

Make it clear that the PEOPLE were not responsible for Dunblane, and that no amount of gun control can stop people from doing evil things.

It will be a long hard fight for England and the people of the UK to take back their government and their rights.
[font="Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif"][/font]

David Turner

imported post

Thanks, Suntzu. Good videos. Better than my ideas and ready-to-go.

I've passed these along to our UK forumhttp://armbritain.com/index.php It's only tiny, but, who knows?

Right now, a few of us are investigating legal challenges to our Gun Laws. Too early to give details, though.

The media? Well, I and many others, do approach the media. But, the truth is that the media are very resistant to offering a platform for debate.

We need a piece of tempting bait which the media would be unable to resist...or, perhaps, just one influential journalist to open the door a crack.

BTW, it's David, not Mister.

wrightme

imported post

The first step I would recommend, if you have not done so yet, is to become a lawful gun owner of whatever kind you are allowed to become over there. From another unrelated forum I take part in, anecdotal evidence exists for some ownership possibilities, but it sounds like specifically muzzle-loading black powder only for the most part.

Join a club, and become active.

Work to change what you can to restore the 1st amendment style of Right, so you can talk openly about the 2nd amendment style of Right.

While you may not be able to provide advertisement through the MSM, can you provide editorial content to news providers?

David Turner

imported post

Taskforce 16. Thanks for the link. I'll explore it just as soon as I've finished this post.

Wrightme. Editorial content is acceptable...but you have to find a sympathetic Editor. And that is tricky.

I actually have chosen NOT to own a firearm. My reasoning is that, in this way, I can avoid the charge of "gun-nut" or whatever other racist-type abuse might be thrown my way.

It would be possible to acquire a Shotgun Certificate, I think. Blackpowder , too, AFAIK. I'm approaching this whole issue with an eye to Democracy, Citizenship and the wider implications of an armed populace. Whether I actually have a firearm is almost incidental to me...though I do confess that I believe it should be a citizen's DUTY to bear arms, not simply their right.

Things have not yet come to the point where you can't even talk about these things.Mind you, it wouldn't surprise meif that did happen...especially if some of the talk started to change a few minds.

I have a couple of "irons in the fire" right now. Time will tell. Asolid legal challenge would most likely be the most expeditious means of change. And it just might be possible.

It's hard making connections with UK' pro-gun groups. They seem very cagey and wary of losing what few privileges they stillhave . Whereas I have no guns to lose. The worst that can happen is that I get myself posted on some police' list of subversives. Well, I hope that's the worst...!

wrightme

imported post

As an aside, I do not agree with your thread title.

You "Brits" are quite "deserving." Your leadership has passed laws that tell you otherwise. Such laws should be challenged where possible.

Rugerp345

imported post

Welcome to the forum David. i wish you much luck in getting your laws repealed. I leave you with a quote from Samuel Adams,
It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in the minds of men.”

Hope ya'll aint still sore about that 1776 thing. .:lol:

SlackwareRobert

imported post

We aren't far behind you, two corrupt parties running one corrupt gov.
But even we can't use the 'N' word in adds.:shock:
They argue the 2A does not apply to states it is on the feds, and yet it
hasn't stop the feds from breaking it as well with federal restrictions.

What about letting the gov do the recording, wear an empty holster and
let the cameras on every corner take care of the video. the space alien one
killed me from a couple of years ago.

Can you do a freedom of info over there? Maybe make the Queen admit she
hasn't given up her guns as required by law. But don't push it to the point Charles
gets promoted.

I would make one with a retired officer/ knighted person finding a gun on a
playground with children running around, picking it up and taking it to the police
station, and being convicted to drive home just how bad it is.

If it can get by the censors, have mom carry a pig to school to pick up her
daughter and fend off the 'peaceful religion' types, then have her jumped by
native thugs. To bad she could only protect herself from half the bad guys. (fade out)

Sorry for what hollywood did to a great tv show The Prisoner.
Fear not, I know our beloved supreme commander wants to be the new world leader,
so maybe our supreme law will be forced on everyone else soon. :banghead:

David Turner

imported post

Thanks. I'll try ordering it from the library. That should throw up a few "red flags" at the home of MI5.

Right now, I'm exploring Facebook. This isvery new to me, but seems to have the potential to reach untold numbers of sympathisers.

Yes, I know that the CIA is supposed to monitor it (or was that Al Quaida doing the monitoring?) So what? There's thousands of us and only 646 of them.

Oh, just a minute, there's someone at the door....(thwack of helicopter blades)

Only joking!

If any of you guys are interested in connecting up, you know my name and you'll recognise my pictureby the stupid furry hat and orange neck-scarf.

David Turner

imported post

David Turner wrote:
Thanks. I'll try ordering it from the library. That should throw up a few "red flags" at the home of MI5.

Right now, I'm exploring Facebook. This isvery new to me, but seems to have the potential to reach untold numbers of sympathisers.

Yes, I know that the CIA is supposed to monitor it (or was that Al Quaida doing the monitoring?) So what? There's thousands of us and only 646 of them.

Oh, just a minute, there's someone at the door....(thwack of helicopter blades)

Only joking!

If any of you guys are interested in connecting up, you know my name and you'll recognise my pictureby the stupid furry hat and orange neck-scarf.
There you go, just uploaded the mugshot. That's the best photo that I could find. How sad is that?
I think that you'd have to PM your name, though, or I won't know to accept you as a friend. Is that how it works?