• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Examiner.com: On the first day of Christmas my true love gave to me - a gun!

TFred

imported post

Archie wrote:
I took my son deer hunting with me at 6.

I got my son his first BB Gun at 8.

I put him through Hunter Education at 11.

I bought him a shotgun that year for his birthday - he nearly turned inside-out with excitement.

The following year he got a muzzleloader for christmas from me, and I helped him buy a deer-hunting shotgun with his own money.

The next year his mother and I went together on a 12 Ga. Semi-Automatic shotgun for Christmas. He gave me back his old Shotgun (from when he was eleven) and told me to sell it to someone who could use it to get a son/daughter into hunting. I sold it for half what I had in it to a gentleman with 11 children who wanted to buy his son a shotgun,but couldn't afford it. That Christmas morning the hunting tradition continued in their household!

He got a .22 Mag given to him by his mother somewhere along the line.

He bought his own .30-06 bolt action last year for Christmas. Then two weeks later he bought a .30-06 auto to fix up, restock, and sell. He still has it and can't seem to part with it.

This year he is going to get a $50 .22 Semi-auto that he can fix up on his own. He wants to hot-rod a .22, and has been wanting to buy a used junker. His mean old father has been telling him he can't seem to find anything cheap on the market. He will be surprized.

What did I get out of all this? A 16 year-old son that I don't have to worry about when he is driving (in the car HE bought and Paid for with his own insurance that did not cost me a dime), when he is hanging around with his friends, or when he is home alone. I never worry about what he is up to and he has never found trouble to get in to. He knows that trouble with dad means a lock on the gun cabinet and trouble with the law means he gives up his guns to the gov't. Further more I got countless hours of time with my pre-teen and teen-ager in the woods - talking about hunting, girls, cars, and whatever else came up. I got a good excuse to go hunting more often than I probably would have otherwise. I never get complaints about being seen with him in public if we are heading out to the sporting goods store.

We allalso get another generation of gun owners, who are interested in the right to bear arms, and are willing to help protect that right. Guns are probably the best gift we can ever give.
I enjoyed reading your post. Welcome to OCDO!

As I contemplated your words, it occurred to me that I should suggest a slight addendum.

Just as we are fond of countering the antis with "guns don't kill people, people kill people", it becomes obvious as one reads your post that it wasn't the guns that raised your kid right, it was you! The gun was, and always is, merely a tool. In this case, it was a reason to spend quality and quantity time with your son, and an instrument about which one must learn responsible behavior. And that responsible behavior then spills over into all areas of life.

As with many other tasks that we prepare to face, some regularly, some never, a gun is a very necessary tool that can make all the difference in the world. You've thoughtfully shown us another purpose that it can serve.

Thanks.

TFred

Mtn Jack

imported post

Archie wonderfull 1st post, i brought my 3 girls up the same way, boy am i ever proud of the way they turned out. I am sure you feel the same. Stick around a great group here. Be safe Mtn Jack

lil_freak_66

imported post

i didnt get into shooting until i was older.

first bb gun at i think 7,a daisy buck.

musta put 20,000 bbs through it.

8 was when i shot my first gun,16 ga. remington 870 wingmaster that is now in my possesion,i skinned my trigger finger on that first shot.

the gun was taller than i was.lol.

did very little shooting until i got my first shotgun,a charles daly field 20 ga. pump.

then it was an every weekend thing for a year and a half,but ammo started going up,so i bought the ruger 10/22 that is right next to me,and in a few months time made my money back on saved ammo money.

now im out every chance i get doing everything from up to 200 yard shots w/ that 10/22 to point blank,high speed defensive drills.

snakeghost

imported post

I have seen alot of people just go out to the parking lot at the expo center where the portland gun show is held, and do the transaction there with no paperwork. the port of portland police can't do anything about it because the rules only apply to inside the buildings. This is what a police sargeant told me the last time I was up there. I thought it was an interesting loophole.:)

sudden valley gunner

imported post

snakeghost wrote:
I have seen alot of people just go out to the parking lot at the expo center where the portland gun show is held, and do the transaction there with no paperwork. the port of portland police can't do anything about it because the rules only apply to inside the buildings. This is what a police sargeant told me the last time I was up there. I thought it was an interesting loophole.:)
It's not a loophole it's a private transaction.

CommonMan101

imported post

When my Dad gave me the .22 rifleI had been using since I was 6 it was an awesome day even though it wasn't Christmas. I was 12. It still holds a place in my heart. I consider that rifle more valuable as an heirloom than any other gun I have.

No one has given me a gun since then but I am giving a revolver to a woman this Christmas.

I had to be sure of her crime free status even though I've known her a while so I did a background check on her like she was a potential employee. (In my biz you have to be as clean as anyone trying to be a security guard. Exact same rules apply here in Texas.)

I also had to be sureshe saw it asan acceptable gift even though I knew her pro-gun pro-defense state of mind had been expressed over the years - so it's not going to be a surprise but she is elated already! lol Christmas came early for her even though it's not in her hands yet!

snakeghost

imported post

the last gun that was given to me was a 1967 ruger single-six revolver with a .22 win. mag cylinder. I love shooting the gun, but ammo is getting expensive! a 50 round box of the win. mag cost as much as a brick of .22 long rifle! but gonna order a new .22 LR cylinder for it, then have the gunsmith check the timing on it. I really want to take it out and shoot all day with it and NOT break the bank! lol

KansasMustang

imported post

opusd2 wrote:
My dad bought me my first non-BB gun when I turned 12. It was a Savage Stevens 12ga single shot shotgun with a 36" barrel from JC Penneys, mail order. I split the stock on my first shot, and now have a replacement. I shot just about everything with that mule.

This year he offered to gift me a Knight KRB muzzleloader, brand new. It's very pretty and I was looking to get into black powder shooting, but I am just not sure. Anyone have any input for me?

The reason I am holding back is that he wants an old Marlin Goose Gun, bolt action 36" bbl, and a box magazine that I have to match a 410 bolt action he has. I love that shotgun, but already have a mossberg version.

What to do, what to do... But if I do it, I can start playing with other materials like powder, 209 caps, and different slugs.
I have a Hawken .54 cal Flintlock that I absolutely love to shoot. One of these days I'm going to the rendevous they have in Wyoming. It's a big fandango I hear. Love shootin that ole smoke pole.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

Apparently if you are naughty, like my kids, Santa brings you a .22 rifle! :p

CIMG1482.jpg