• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

MARTA

fscottdahlgren

imported post

Dear All,

This afternoon I went to pick my truck up from the dealership via train and bus. In route, I was stopped by multiple MARTA officers[sic]. They encircled me, one officer[sic] placed his hand on my firearm, and another demanded my GFL.

ME "Am I free to go."
OFFICER[sic] "No."

ME "For what am I being detained"
OFFICER[sic] "You are not being detained"

ME "Who is your commanding officer?"
OFFICER[sic] "I'll tell you when I'm done with you."

After being threatened with arrest, I informed them I was involuntarily giving them my licence, and I believed their demands to be illegal. After giving over my GFL and state ID, I was not allowed to go on my way. Instead, they retained my identification and demanded I exit the train. However, I was encircled and could not attempt to exit without running into a MARTA officer[sic]. I simply asked "Am I free to go" while he demanded I leave the train. Eventually, he stepped right up to my face and said, "I'm going to ask you one last time to get off the train." To which I replied, "Sir, there is no free path to exit the train."

After leaving the train, they finally answered "Am I free to go" with a "Yes", but they had not returned my identification to me. And, they refused to return my identification to me until I pulled my coat over my firearm; however, this was the first time they asked me to do so. They behaved as though this were the source of the issue all along. They told me they had removed me from the train because my firearm was scaring the people.

Note, I never, ever place my hands anywhere near my firearm while in public, especially to continually pull the waistband over my firearm. I was standing straight up, with my hands on the square of my back, chin up the entire train ride. I smiled and nodded at anyone who made eye contact, and addressed everyone as "Sir" or "Ma'am". I kept a close tally on everyone entering and exiting the train, but other than that I made my absolute best effort to avoid any suspicious behavior.

They finally told me I had been detained "for openly carrying a firearm you must carry concealed". They provided me with the name Sergeant Hodges, returned my ID, and left me in peace.

I had to wait another 20 minutes for the next train. I missed my connecting bus, and had to wait an additional 40 minutes for the bus. No big deal. After I picked up my truck, I called the headquarters. The Officer informed me there was no record of removing me from the train, and this is against their policy. I went to the station to file a formal complaint and obtain a written copy of their policy, but was given a witness statement which I left blank and took home. The Lieutenant on duty refused to give me a copy of the policy under which I was detained, but insisted they had the "right" to detain anyone carrying a firearm. She explicitly stated they had this right because they want to take all the gangsters' guns away, implying I was a gangster. She told me to "google it".

I am posting this largely because I want to know what I should do, if anything. I'm tempted to hire a lawyer, but I would really just like an honest apology for the rudeness, inconvenience, and being treated like a thug. More important than that, I want to make sure my record stays squeaky clean for my security clearance. I'm tempted to call Sunday from work and work my way up the chain of command until I get a reasonable Officer. I'm thinking when their caller ID says "US Government" I might get an ounce of respect.

Thanks,
Scott

smn

imported post

fscottdahlgren wrote:
ME "Am I free to go."
OFFICER[sic] "No."

ME "Then I wish to end this tier one encounter."
After that it's don't say anything else and anything the police do after that is pure violation of your 4th A rights.

If you have names of the officers then seek competent legal advice and follow his advice.

aadvark

imported post

Sue MARTA, and every single MARTA Police Officer involved...

Contact Georgia Carry Immediately:

John R. Monroe (Attorney at Law), Roswell Georgia, and Ed Stone of Georiga Carry!

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

I think you have a potentially very good civil action - perhaps next time MARTA police do this it will be in warmer weather and the open carrier may not haveany clothing to pull over their gun.

fscottdahlgren

imported post

Thank you to everyone who responded. I did join Georgia Carry and read up on the current MARTA case. I've decided not to pursue the issue. Everything I would like to happen will happen when this case is decided. I think the current case is far scarier than my own, and I wish to draw no further attention to myself. I will simply avoid MARTA and making purchases in counties who pay MARTA sales tax until after the case is decided. Again, thanks to everyone. Maybe I'll see one of you open carrying one day in GA, and I'll give you a "hello".

Malum Prohibitum

imported post

fscottdahlgren wrote:
Dear All,

This afternoon I went to pick my truck up from the dealership via train and bus. In route, I was stopped by multiple MARTA officers[sic]. They encircled me, one officer[sic] placed his hand on my firearm, and another demanded my GFL.

ME "Am I free to go."
OFFICER[sic] "No."

Scott,

What is with the "[sic]" interjected at various points in the narrative? It did not make sense to me.

Do you have the names of the officers?

Why do you fear drawing attention to yourself?I ask only because most people who carry openly do not have the fear of drawing attention to themselves as a typical attribute.

ED

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Malum Prohibitum wrote:
fscottdahlgren wrote:
Dear All,

ME "Am I free to go."
OFFICER[sic] "No."

Scott,

What is with the "[sic]" interjected at various points in the narrative? It did not make sense to me.

Do you have the names of the officers?

Why do you fear drawing attention to yourself?I ask only because most people who carry openly do not have the fear of drawing attention to themselves as a typical attribute.

ED

Hahahahahaha!

I overlooked that part; but if you take it to mean what it normally means, it renders the word "officer" humorously. And not a nice humor neither. :)