• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Lewis County Open Carry

rsdan

imported post

Hello, I am new to posting here but have been reading around for awhile and have some questions. Okay so according to this site you cannot open carry until 21 in Washington State, however local Police say 18 is allowed. Any reason why your website says different? I have a Colt Model 2000 All American 9mm for those intrested in what I wish to carry.

kito109654

imported post

Hope this helps:
The way I read it, there are provisions for the 18-21 crowd to carry concealed, but not open. My girlfriend is18 and a part of the empty holster brigade.She fully intends to make use of RCW 9.41.050 (8). Take a look at that one, it's the only useful one I see besides "place of abode" and "real property" underyour control.

RCW 9.41.070

"The applicant's constitutional right to bear arms shall not be denied, unless:

(c) He or she is under twenty-one years of age;"

_________

RCW 9.41.240

[/b]Unless an exception under RCW 9.41.042, 9.41.050, or 9.41.060 applies, a person at least eighteen years of age, but less than twenty-one years of age, may possess a pistol only:

(1) In the person's place of abode;

(2) At the person's fixed place of business; or

(3) On real property under his or her control.

_________

The provisions of RCW 9.41.050 shall not apply to:

(1) Marshals, sheriffs, prison or jail wardens or their deputies, or other law enforcement officers of this state or another state;

(2) Members of the armed forces of the United States or of the national guard or organized reserves, when on duty;

(3) Officers or employees of the United States duly authorized to carry a concealed pistol;

(4) Any person engaged in the business of manufacturing, repairing, or dealing in firearms, or the agent or representative of the person, if possessing, using, or carrying a pistol in the usual or ordinary course of the business;

(5) Regularly enrolled members of any organization duly authorized to purchase or receive pistols from the United States or from this state;

(6) Regularly enrolled members of clubs organized for the purpose of target shooting, when those members are at or are going to or from their places of target practice;

(7) Regularly enrolled members of clubs organized for the purpose of modern and antique firearm collecting, when those members are at or are going to or from their collector's gun shows and exhibits;

(8) Any person engaging in a lawful outdoor recreational activity such as hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, or horseback riding, only if, considering all of the attendant circumstances, including but not limited to whether the person has a valid hunting or fishing license, it is reasonable to conclude that the person is participating in lawful outdoor activities or is traveling to or from a legitimate outdoor recreation area;

(9) Any person while carrying a pistol unloaded and in a closed opaque case or secure wrapper; or

(10) Law enforcement officers retired for service or physical disabilities, except for those law enforcement officers retired because of mental or stress-related disabilities. This subsection applies only to a retired officer who has: (a) Obtained documentation from a law enforcement agency within Washington state from which he or she retired that is signed by the agency's chief law enforcement officer and that states that the retired officer was retired for service or physical disability; and (b) not been convicted or found not guilty by reason of insanity of a crime making him or her ineligible for a concealed pistol license.

If you have any specific questions, just ask. Reading the law is no small task.

rsdan

imported post

Okay so I went down to starbucks carrying in a opaque holster (holster that completely covers gun to where no part of it is visible but goes on your belt and is in the vagueshape of a gun.) Gun was unloaded with a loaded clip in a pouch on the other side of the belt. Three officers were sitting at a table with one in line behind me, he asks what kind of gun I'm carrying so I tell him what kind, and where I got it (My mom gave it to me) Then he asked how old I was, and if the gun was loaded. He said the manner in which I was carrying was completely legal and a gun that justneedsto be loaded in a emergencyis better than none at all. (I agree) He cited this RCW as to it being legal how I was carrying
9) Any person while carrying a pistol unloaded and in a closed opaque case or secure wrapper; or

RCW 9.41.060

kito109654

imported post

rsdan wrote:
Okay so I went down to starbucks carrying in a opaque holster (holster that completely covers gun to where no part of it is visible but goes on your belt and is in the vagueshape of a gun.) Gun was unloaded with a loaded clip in a pouch on the other side of the belt. Three officers were sitting at a table with one in line behind me, he asks what kind of gun I'm carrying so I tell him what kind, and where I got it (My mom gave it to me) Then he asked how old I was, and if the gun was loaded. He said the manner in which I was carrying was completely legal and a gun that justneedsto be loaded in a emergencyis better than none at all. (I agree) He cited this RCW as to it being legal how I was carrying
9) Any person while carrying a pistol unloaded and in a closed opaque case or secure wrapper; or

RCW 9.41.060
If you're willing to deal with potentially running across a LEO who doesn't see it the same way and take your chances with a judge then go for it. I would not advise anyone I cared about to do it, though.

I'm not saying your interpretation is a huge stretch from what is written; but I am saying that it wouldn't be a stretch to say that a holster is not a "closed opaque case or secure wrapper." Be careful and carry yourself confidently.

I'm very surprised that your first time out you ran into 3 officers and one of them confronted you. What are the chances?!

amzbrady

imported post

OK, cut and dry summary. My son is 18 and is wondering if he can CC, should he go apply for a license or will that be a waste of time. He lives by Northgate Mall and seems like crime is getting worse weekly. what Ive read is NO. Not till he's 21.

kito109654

imported post

amzbrady wrote:
OK, cut and dry summary. My son is 18 and is wondering if he can CC, should he go apply for a license or will that be a waste of time. He lives by Northgate Mall and seems like crime is getting worse weekly. what Ive read is NO. Not till he's 21.

RCW 9.41.070 (c)

Your answer: No. One must be 21 years of age to apply for a WA CPL.

rsdan

imported post

In Lewis County at Starbucks there is a very good chance of running into at least one cop that's hanging out there so It wasn't a big surprise. I've been asked about wearing pepper spray as well, they are usually pretty nice about stuff as long as you are respectful to them...in turn they respect you and your rights more.

Commodore76

imported post

rsdan wrote:
In Lewis County at Starbucks there is a very good chance of running into at least one cop that's hanging out there so It wasn't a big surprise. I've been asked about wearing pepper spray as well, they are usually pretty nice about stuff as long as you are respectful to them...in turn they respect you and your rights more.

I go to the same coffee shop and see the Troopers, Deputies and local Copsin there all the time. They have ALWAYS been friendly and very professional. I've had opportunity to sit and chat with a few that I have seen frequently and the topic of firearms, even if I'm OC, has never come up. A really positive result of the loose LEO affiliationwas that the staff there has never looked at me funny either.

They are a GREAT example for LEO's around the State. There is just a huge level of trust here that I'm certain is the result of "small town" life. Gotta love it!

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

amzbrady wrote:
I think age of majority restrictions like this are vunerable to constitutonal attack under state constitutions - the South Carolina S. Ct. struck down the 21 year of age requirement to onw handguns 2 years ago.

olypendrew

imported post

Mike wrote:
amzbrady wrote:
I think age of majority restrictions like this are vunerable to constitutonal attack under state constitutions - the South Carolina S. Ct. struck down the 21 year of age requirement to onw handguns 2 years ago.
Agreed. And an 18 year old being denied a CPL due solely to age would certainly have standing to challenge the law.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

olypendrew wrote:
Agreed. And an 18 year old being denied a CPL due solely to age would certainly have standing to challenge the law.
I would bring the action as to the statute precluding open carry outside the home - the courts are going to give governments wider deference to ban or control concealed carry, see remarks indicating concealed carry can be outright banned, period, in Heller.

kito109654

imported post

olypendrew wrote:
Mike wrote:
amzbrady wrote:

I disagree with regards to concealed carry. That part is up to the states. I'm not saying it's right or in line with the constitution but that's how it is. Alaska has the right idea.

Mike wrote:
olypendrew wrote:
I would bring the action as to the statute precluding open carry outside the home - the courts are going to give governments wider deference to ban or control concealed carry, see remarks indicating concealed carry can be outright banned, period, in Heller.
Now what Mike is saying makes sense. If this is challenged it must be done so with regards to open carry(anywhere)or the illegality to own/purchase a pistol under 21 to be brought in line with the Constitution.

Right Wing Wacko

Campaign Veteran
imported post

kito109654 wrote:
amzbrady wrote:

RCW 9.41.070 (c)

Your answer: No. One must be 21 years of age to apply for a WA CPL.
In fact, this is one reason that WA does not recognize Idaho's permit. Idaho will issue to persons under 21.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Right Wing Wacko wrote:
In fact, this is one reason that WA does not recognize Idaho's permit. Idaho will issue to persons under 21.
Weird - can somebody suggest a bill to their state rep or sen to simply accepts such eprmits if permitte is over 21? That's the way other states like Virginia do it.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Mike wrote:
Right Wing Wacko wrote:
Weird - can somebody suggest a bill to their state rep or sen to simply accepts such eprmits if permitte is over 21? That's the way other states like Virginia do it.
I just asked a similar question in another thread, since Thune ammendment was fairly unconstitutional, how do we work on our own states to accept all other state CPL?

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

sudden valley gunner wrote:
how do we work on our own states to accept all other state CPL?

Ask your state reps and sens to introduce bills to make you state a shall accept state - many states are now like this, e.g., Arizona. And yes, for now, sha accept if permittee is over 21 is good enough I guess.

Just accept all the other states' permits!

OrangeIsTrouble

imported post

kito109654 wrote:

I'm not saying your interpretation is a huge stretch from what is written; but I am saying that it wouldn't be a stretch to say that a holster is not a "closed opaque case or secure wrapper." Be careful and carry yourself confidently.
What would you say if I were to...pack it in a fanny pack unloaded:question:

(9) Any person while carrying a pistol unloaded and in a closed opaque case or secure wrapper; or

It would be closed. It would be opaque

From http://wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn?s=opaque
* not transmitting or reflecting light or radiant energy; impenetrable to sight; "opaque windows of the jail"; "opaque to X-rays"

* not clearly understood or expressed

It would also be unloaded.

What say you?

OrangeIsTrouble

imported post

From http://wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn?s=case

These were the only definitions dealing with a physical object;

(a portable container for carrying several objects) "the musicians left their instrument cases backstage"

sheath, case (an enveloping structure or covering enclosing an animal or plant organ or part)

case, casing (the housing or outer covering of something) "the clock has a walnut case"

case (the enclosing frame around a door or window opening) "the casings had rotted away and had to be replaced"

case, pillowcase, slip, pillow slip (bed linen consisting of a cover for a pillow) "the burglar carried his loot in a pillowcase"

case, display case, showcase, vitrine (a glass container used to store and display items in a shop or museum or home)

Cameras have carrying cases that you just zip up and throw onto your shoulder... so why shouldn't a fanny pack (for example) be considered a case?

Golf Uniform November

imported post

This is kind of straying off topic.. But yes.. I CC, and OC in this starbucks daily. Just depends on what Im wearing. I even carry in my GOV. Uniform. No one even bats an eye at me. I wouldnt exactly say it's just small town life at it's finest.. I would venture to say that THAT starbucks is used by A LOT of officers, troopers, and deputys - daily. they would most likely assume that we are either off/on dute LEO's.. As ive been asked before by the manager there.. ( just out of curiosity) i simply reply.. "no, employed by the gov." Ive never seen anyone OC in there besides me. But I have ran into a couple of CC'ers.

Long story short.. Centralia police have a LONG way to go.. untill they will be okay with OC.. sometimes even CC. If someone were to hand them a training bulliten similar to what different cities, and counties get Im sure this would help alot. But they do seem to see our side of it, within reason. and I have never personally had a problem with any one there.